• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Zander's 2010 Season

This is my fourth year growing chilies and the first time I’ve kept a log. I also grow tomatoes, eggplants, basil and citrus. I garden in containers and try to grow as much as possible in small spaces. I have plants in my front yard, back patio, beyond the back fence and I give plants away to friends and family. I’ve tried many different types of containers, media, nutrients and watering methods. This year most of my plants will be in coco coir or potting mix and watered by hand, pump and dripper. Last year I had trouble with bacterial leaf spot, so most of my plants will be new for 2010. I’ll try to keep this thread regularly updated with photos as the season progresses. Good luck to everyone this year and now on with the show!

First up are the plants from prior seasons. I’ve kept four around. This Orange Manzano was started from seed in November ’07 and thrives in the Coastal Southern California climate:

IMG_8453.jpg

Next up are two that were chopped down and brought inside. The middle plant in the back row is a Seven Pod, and the middle front is a Labuyo. The other plants are tomatoes and basil.

IMG_8429.jpg

Here we have a Trinidad Scorpion cutting between the Lemongrass and Holy Basil cutting.

IMG_8432.jpg

These are a few that I started in December. Padaung (Thai), Orange Manzano, Fatalli, and Thai #1. The Thai #1 and Orange Bhut labels are swapped and I’ve since discarded the Orange Bhuts. I named the Padaung and Thai #1 since they were not from a commercial seed source. I called the Bhut “Orange” because it never turned Red while on the plant. I’ll try to keep better records and not confuse anyone by creating new names for existing peppers.

IMG_8423.jpg

Now here’s what I’ve planted so far in 2010. A million thanks for all the gifts and trades that have given me these amazing seeds. The seeds are planted in the Burpee coco coir pellets and I use a heat mat set to 85F.

-Bhut Jolokia (2 sources)
-Lemon Bhut
-Chocolate Bhut
-Dorset Naga
-Naga Morich
-Trinidad Scorpion (4 sources)
-TS Moruga Blend
-Yellow Scorpion CARDI
-Douglah
-Seven Pod (3 sources)
-Yellow Seven
-Billy Goat
-Jamaican Hot Chocolate
-Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet
-Golden Hab
-Plum Hab
-Aji Dulce #2
-Tobago Season
-Datil
-Orange Hab
-Venezuelan Sweet Hab
-Orange Dulce
-Jalabenero

IMG_8439.jpg

Thanks for the comments. They're all growing in coco coir. The Manzano was transplanted from soil to coco a couple months ago.

looks like you got a good start on the 2010 season...hope all goes well for you this year and the bactrerial spot does not rear its ugly head again..

I would like to hear you talk more about those Manzanos. I've been reading that they sometimes can winter outside quite well even going through a few degrees under freezing. Have you had that experiance or no? I've also been reading that the Manzano is quite good for making salsas and the like. I have some Manzano seedlings (thank you SmokeMaster) going right now myself. I also hear that one needs to remove the seeds before eating.

Talk to me Brother.

Thanks again everyone. I don't know the lower limit for a Manzano because I don't usually see temps below 40F. I can say it is the most cold tolerant of the peppers I've grown. I'm sure it would be great in salsa. I use them in stir fry, chili con carne, stuffed, or blended w/ oil, vinegar and garlic to make a salad dressing. I always remove the seeds which is quite easy due to the large size. They have a nice slow heat that compliments the immediate burn of a Fatalli or the bite of a Thai chili. I think you'll love it, but you may need to wrap it up or bring it inside if you get a deep freeze. This year I'm planning on growing some Red and Yellow Rocotos too, I just need to find some more room.

Of and running! Good for you Zander.

The trunk on that 7-Pod looks like a baseball bat lol.

The Manzano looks great. Did you trim it back at all? I have 4 first year plants overwintering on the sun porch, and they look like weeping willows:shocked:. The Fall fruit is finishing up (ate two the other night) and I was wondering if I should prune them before Spring growth starts.

Anyway, good luck this season. Keep the photos coming.

Zander you're growing in coco coir only? What nutes are you using and how often do you feed?

Good luck with your growing season.

DownRiver said:
The Manzano looks great. Did you trim it back at all? I have 4 first year plants overwintering on the sun porch, and they look like weeping willows:shocked:. The Fall fruit is finishing up (ate two the other night) and I was wondering if I should prune them before Spring growth starts.

Yeah, I trimmed it back multiple times. I cut it down quite a bit in the spring of 09 as a lazy way of fighting aphids and pruned again for form in December. I like pruning my plants and I don't worry about it hurting the overall production since I always have more than enough.

patrick said:
Zander you're growing in coco coir only? What nutes are you using and how often do you feed?
I'll PM you the specifics since I don't want to promote any particular brand. I use a one part hydroponic bloom nutrient mixed with RO water and I feed pretty much every watering. Sometimes there's run off, sometimes not and I never let it dry out completely. Once I got a water filter I stopped worrying about the little details.

Update

Thanks for visiting, everyone. I love checking out all the gardens and pepper lists.

I have some updated pictures of my pre-2010 plants. My seedlings are still tiny, but 3 of the Bhut Jolokias are taking off and will soon be transplanted. I'll take some fresh pictures this weekend and talk about the seedlings then.

My pre-2010 indoor plants are looking a bit yellow but I'm not worried. I've been feeding at a very low concentration to keep them small. The Trinidad Scorpion cutting will take off once it has more roots and is out in the warm spring sun. Oh, and the plants haven't grown this fast overnight, my first pictures were a bit old, so you're watching in time-lapse.

Here's the Orange Manzano and Padaung Thai repoted into 3.5 inch pots. They were long overdue and have a dense root mass.
IMG_8459.jpg

Here's the 7pod, Trinidad Scorpion and Siling Labuyo. There's even a tiny pod or two on the Seven.
IMG_8461.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the progress so far, but I wish I had more room both inside and out. Someday I hope to have a set up like AJ or Redeyes.

I decided to transplant 3 Bhut Jolokias (Regular, Chocolate + Yellow) last night. These seeds were planted 1/1, but didn't go onto the heat mat for a while. These were the first to come up and are the biggest so far. These seeds were purchased from eBay (asiasgarden) and I'm very happy. There's some question about the Yellow, but I've got a good feeling. I planted one seed each for six total Naga/Bhuts and had all of them came up. Take a look at the little Naga Morich. Anyone ever have a good plant grow up from a runt like that? I'm not planning to keep it.

Here's the six pack before transplant:
IMG_8466.jpg

And the three in new 2.5 inch coir pots:
IMG_8468.jpg

The yellowing will go away soon now that I'll be feeding them more. I might even give them a bit of liquid kelp.

Planted More Seeds

I've got almost enough C. Chinese started, so I started some Baccatum and Pubescens. Here's what was planted Saturday the 6th:

Red Rocoto (2 sources)
PI 585260 (Pubescens)
Yellow Rocoto

Aji Amarillo
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Cristal
Aji Verde

Aji Dulce #2
Trinidad Perfume
Douglah

The Yellow Rocoto seeds are nice and fresh. My friend shared some of his harvest with me. They're not super hot, but pretty strong with an extremely slow burn and fresh citrus flavor. I'm starting two of these.
IMG_8470.jpg

IMG_8479.jpg

More Transplanting

It's been a couple weeks and I've done some more transplanting. The plants are really starting to take off, especially my Bhut Jolokia's. I've discarded a few runts and had some that didn't germinate, but all is going well.

Someday I'll have a dedicated space for transplanting like AJ, but for now I use the coffee table:
IMG_8526.jpg

Here's my collection of 2010 superhots halfway through the job. The six pack in the bottom row is full of 7pods. Just like my Bhuts I had 100% germination on the Sevens. The plant on the bottom left w/ some purple leaves is my Thai #1. I discarded the small one and topped the big one. I'm pretty sure it's a c. frutescens and they seem to have a better shape if you remove the top.

IMG_8519.jpg

I forgot to take pic of the finished job, so I'll have an update once they've grown into their new homes.

Seed Sowing Update

I haven't updated in over a month. Here's what's been planted since then.

Planted 2/6
- Orange Habanero (2 sources)
- Naga Morich
- Trinidad Scorpion (Josh)
- Venezuelan Sweet Habanero
- CAP 1144
- Crolla Sella
- Thai Green Eggplant

Planted 2/27
Tomatoes: Ramapo, Moreton, Snow White, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine Red and Yellow (mix)
Peppers:
- Biker Billy Jalapeno
- Serrano Tampiqueno
- Mariachi Hybrid
- Wenk’s Yellow Hot
- Fish
- Thai Super Hot
- Orange Thai

Planted 2/28
- Aji Crystal
- Douglah
- Padaung
- Red Rocoto
- Yellow Rocoto
- Aji Dulce #2
- Goat’s Weed
- Cumari
- Sri Lankan
- Trinidad Scorpion

Planted 3/7
Peppers:
- Orange Habanero
- Cumari
- Goat’s Weed
- Thai Super Hot
- CAP1144
- Serrano Tampiqueno
- Aji Cristal
Herbs/Others:
- Red Leaf Holy Basil
- Thai Lemon Basil
- Thai Sweet Basil
- Tia To Perilla
- Japanese Green Perilla
- Red Malabar Spinach
- Thai Green Eggplant

This thread helps for my record keeping so I have some listed that never germinated or have already been tossed out. My Thai Green Eggplants have been a huge disappointment. This was commercial seed and I've got 0% germination, luckily I have my own saved seed from last year. I had a tough time with Sweet C. Chineses, but after planting wave after wave I've found a few keepers. Overall, I'd say I had about 70% germination and I bet I could hit 80+% if I dial in the humidity and light levels.

Back