• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest 2017 Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown Aji Amarillo

The week ahead. It's going to be hot!
Some pods , I hope that it is only a phenotype thing. Some are even a bit spiky like Aji Lemon. Time to colour?? Any guess?

e35cf01a229851d4d8fcfc4a7afc9623.jpg
883805311f6c7fcaea1f9259f7ddb8aa.jpg
5dba8c2ee01a88e77238f452ed987b3d.jpg
4512a79454ad1a26b34b46175c6f90de.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

All I can say is good luck when the heat really kicks in. It's gonna be a challenge keeping everything hydrated. I'm assuming water restrictions are common?

Karoo weights in a massive 300 pod haul and gets a total of 98grams. Pods requiring dehydration ... zero :lol:

Yes , we live in the Western Cape province with a severe draught and water restrictions. Fortunately in our small town we have a small population and a slightly higher rainfall in the mountain catchment area , so we are good at the moment.

I'm on restrictions at the moment, level 3. No watering between 9 and 5, I don't have a pool or wash the car much, so the rest of the rules don't concern me... ;)

Heads up, No. 1 hit a foot! No bud development yet...

Amarillos plodding on ok considering summer is hiding somewhere in Africa  :party: 

Two biggest pods so far in Hempy Bucket
Amarillo2.jpg

Kratky Amarillo pushing out the pods also
Amarillo3.jpg

And the plant that will probably be the competition entry (no pods in sight yet) but over a metre tall now - Audrey II
Amarillo4.jpg

Thanks Jaques.

I think the Amarillos will become one of my annual grows going forward. Nice big pods with enough heat without blowing you head off.

According to the world of chillies - the fruits take an inordinately long time to ripen. Lets hope it's before Christmas. :think:

It is with great sadness that I wish to inform you that I will no longer take part in this Growdown.

It's not an Aji Amarillo  !

BUT, it is still a great plant and I think it's early excessive growing was due to Hybrid Vigor.
I really can't wait to see what happens when it ripens. Yes, I had two , and both are the same.
About 35 pods at the moment.

IMG_20171110_074339.jpg

IMG_20171109_133432.jpg

IMG_20171109_133304.jpg

IMG_20171110_074208.jpg

It is a bittersweet moment , I am disappointed to miss out on kicking some Ozzie and Kiwi butt , BUT I have never had such a great growing and producing plant.
I can't wait to see what it is when fully matured . Seeds should be on sale early 2018. :party:

Aji Dulce Amarillo is a Chinense.
The seed supplier said he had some Aji Fantacy White near the Amarillos , so my bet would be Hybrid . The pods are also light green as you will get with pods that ripen to peach , yellow or white.
The plant also showed a lot of Hybrid Vigor.
Saving seeds and growing out again for sure.

Back