• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest 2017 Inaugural Southern Hemisphere Growdown Throwdown Aji Amarillo

Couldn't resist having a little poke around ... seeing the first signs of little root shoots - not bad considering i haven't really been particular about temperature. They're just in the living room and get some warmth at night when the heaters on but that's it.

Decided to move them into my little grow box I made a while ago as it seems to stay a bit warmer. 

Here's a few pics of the "grow box" as I call it (I think the cat calls it "seat"). 12V power supply to an arduino. The Arduino has a RTC module that controls the time/timer that switches on the LEDs and fan, temp/humidity sensor and a little backlit lcd display to readout the time/temp/RH.. the LEDs are strips of 5630s. There also a little isolation switch for the fan to prevent it from coming on when the timer trips for the lights if I want to. I bought a PWN fan for this, so the plan is to eventually have the fan speed adjustable via the Arduino also. The desk lamp is just hanging in there trying to warm things up a bit mor. usually I dont use it.

xLt9SCll.jpg

UuF4mBql.jpg

KVVUBbvl.jpg

HR0Lg0Vl.jpg

I've tested it to get a few things going for winter and it seemed to work well but this is the first time with a seasons worth of chillies. I did however notice that things still seemed a little bit leggy so I built a shelf that lifts the cups up nice and close to the lights when they're young, yet can be pulled out when they get bigger.

Am planning to have a friend with a 3D printer print up a case to house all the components electronics, but I've been lazy and haven't designed it yet.

Small update. Last Amarillo popped so that's six out of six. Shout-out to THSC for great seeds.

On the Cito front not so good as I decided to take the seeds out of the jiffy and put into a tupperware container. Not enough water and 24hrs later all dried up. Rest in piece baby Cito's.

Never mind. Jiffy'ed the last six Cito's I had with a batch of Culleys Reapers this morning and we try again.

How's the poppage going drathag?

KAOS said:
Small update. Last Amarillo popped so that's six out of six. Shout-out to THSC for great seeds.

How's the poppage going drathag?

Nice! I really should try some of their seeds at some point...

Nothing popped yet but I'm sure they're sitting under their little coco blankets sending down roots and getting ready to emerge. Temps are good with that CFL in there - moved it under the shelf and getting around 26C or so. I really need to get a heat mat for next time.

ThatBlondGuy101 said:
3/3 rooted, and 2/3 germ so far :woohoo:
Sliver box should be functional tomorrow, so they'll have a fun time in there
What is this silver box you speak of ?

Us muggles don't like surprises especially when TBG is hatching plans.

I know ... it's an actual real silver box with anti bacterial anti mould anti bug properties. That's just not fair man.

KAOS said:
What is this silver box you speak of ?

Us muggles don't like surprises especially when TBG is hatching plans.

I know ... it's an actual real silver box with anti bacterial anti mould anti bug properties. That's just not fair man.

KAOS said:
Double Post ...

I'm flattered that you wanted to announce my superiority twice, but I'm afraid that not all is as well as you would dread. I need to rethink my lighting, as the one I had my eye on and thought would work for my situation will not work for my situation. So I still need a light, I think I've found one that will work, especially after seeing it in person, so now I just need to buy it. For now, my 2 seedlings are enjoying the windowsill.

But the silver box? All will be revealed in time, but for now be satisfied knowing that it is your silver bullet.... ;)

Behold! The Silver Box!!!
(Image Removed - See Next Post)

And no, I'm not incubating raw eggs....

Here's the light, in case you have some faint semblance of care to spare:
(Image Removed - See Next Post)

The seedlings are looking happy, but still waiting for their third sister...

Bring. It. ON!!!!!!

EDIT: Removed dodgy image links. See my next post for the pictures.

Damn photoshop varmints! 

Thanks for the suggestion, lets hope it works!

The Silver Box:

And the light:

And the two Seedlings:

(In the foreground)

Third one showing hooks, hope it comes out okay, 2nd was a helmet head but I think it'll pull through... Only need one plant in the long run anyway ;)

And Powelly, don't forget that it ain't a race. If you start after us, our harvests will finish before yours, and that's when you'll start to pull into the lead... :D

Looking good TBG. I actually had a look at that same light at Bunnings. Plants look healthy too.

I really does look like you breeding chickens m8. Are they for raising the height? If they empty why not fill them with sand. It will act as mass and regulate temperatures a bit.

KAOS said:
Looking good TBG. I actually had a look at that same light at Bunnings. Plants look healthy too.

I really does look like you breeding chickens m8. Are they for raising the height? If they empty why not fill them with sand. It will act as mass and regulate temperatures a bit.

Yeah, they're for raising the plants towards the light, rather than the converse. I've got a thermometer in there, and everytime I check it, it says 20o C (+/- 2) where the seedlings are, and 25 right next to the light. So I think temps shouldn't be a problem yet, but if they are, I'll keep the sand in mind.

I'd definitely recommend the light, the seedlings are looking perkier after only one day under them!

And, in that short time between posts, the third has poked its head above the surface!

Should be fully out overnight! :party:

Back