• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

"I get sad whenever I get taco bell, their hot sauce doesn't even so much as make my mouth tingle. I like taking my own along. Had a great yellow Hab sauce I made 5 years ago, that stuff went perfect with tacos. I need to freeze some pods and do another batch this winter."

Yes I agree 100%. Unfortunately for us chili heads, most restaurant "Hot Sauce" and "Salsa" is more like Ketchup.....LOL :P

TrentL said:
Oh speaking of Jalapenos MAN everything is running hot this year. I did a 'twice baked' Pizza Hut pizza last night. Ordered a pizza unsliced, brought it back out to my house and loaded it up with some Biker Billies, stuck it in the oven for another 5-6 min to warm them up. THOSE damn things are warm this year, too. Everything is growing well on the hot side, in that pasture. My lips and gums were burning for a solid 20 minutes after I finished a few slices.

Agreed. I picked a couple of Sante Fe Grandes the other day and when I bit into one the damn thing bit back! It wouldn't have bothered me but I wasn't expecting it, considering the advertised SU is "500-700"....

stettoman said:

Agreed. I picked a couple of Sante Fe Grandes the other day and when I bit into one the damn thing bit back! It wouldn't have bothered me but I wasn't expecting it, considering the advertised SU is "500-700"....

The very first ones I picked this year were pretty mild.

I didn't taste test before the next farmers market and for the next THREE WEEKS IN A ROW we had a lady stop by our booth to yell at me.

"YOU SAID THOSE WERE MILD THEY WERE NOT THEY BURNED MY DAMN MOUTH OFF"

Me, being me.. 

"I'm sorry. Hey, would you like to try one of these little sweet Carolina Reapers? They're like eating candy...."

Sigh. MILD IS MILD. Those ARE mild compared to the other stuff I grow, but sheesh, try telling someone "no, seriously, that is NOT hot" they just don't get it that comparatively, it's REALLY not that damn hot. :)

So now I warn people that "We do grow the hottest peppers on earth so OUR scale of Mild to Hot might be skewed from YOUR scale of mild to hot."

karoo said:
The term "mild pepper" is something that only Pepperheads understand.

For the rest it is, hot, very hot, inedible. [emoji91][emoji39]

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Yeah I really didn't get that until recently, when selling peppers. My wife told me my pain tolerance is all screwy. :)

^ seems a couple of TFM Scotch Bonnets "fell in to the bushel" when I was out picking, doubt anyone will mind? :)

(if it bothers you I can separate them no biggie, the rows are right next to each other so I grabbed a few while I was getting habs)

TrentL said:

I didn't taste test before the next farmers market and for the next THREE WEEKS IN A ROW we had a lady stop by our booth to yell at me.
"YOU SAID THOSE WERE MILD THEY WERE NOT THEY BURNED MY DAMN MOUTH OFF"

People like that just don't get it. If a pepper "burns her mouth off", it is not because the pepper is too damn hot. It is because her tolerance is too damn low. The peppers are as they are meant to be. She is the one that needs fixing. Build yer tolerance! Problem solved.  :)

Hey Trent got the Aleppo’s in they look great! can’t wait to make some flakes with them also thank you for the bonus peppers appreciate it what are these guys?
b6e778ddf3c73d80fdbba2edec65edf0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with Global Foods in Kirkwood Mo. They buy a fair amount of local produce when they can. Its one of the few places around ive seen fresh supers. I got a mixed package this week that has (what appears) to be fataliis in it. I bought the pack for $2.80 just to get the seeds. :D

I wish you were closer. Im around 2.5hrs away in south STL. If you ever venture out further to other farmers markets let me know please.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Check with Global Foods in Kirkwood Mo. They buy a fair amount of local produce when they can. Its one of the few places around ive seen fresh supers. I got a mixed package this week that has (what appears) to be fataliis in it. I bought the pack for $2.80 just to get the seeds. :D

I wish you were closer. Im around 2.5hrs away in south STL. If you ever venture out further to other farmers markets let me know please.

You're always welcome to visit the farm sometime, but even so, shipping to Missouri shouldn't be too horrible. :)

Still overloaded with work being short on laborers (down to just one full time girl, my wife, and me part-time since I still have a day job). 

We're pretty much focusing on picking to order at this point. Which is why you haven't seen any big "volume shots" of harvest.

That 1x 20# combined weight bushel of Habaneros I posted pics above took 54 minutes to pick. And that was one row. I still have 3 more rows of those fully loaded with pods ready to pick.

I just wanted to get SOME volume pictures taken - I'm leaving pods on the plants until they sell, as if I pick them, they quickly (within a week) go soft and bad, while the plants can maintain them for a couple weeks without prob after they ripen. So plants are my "storage reserve" :)

If I picked everything in the field in 5-7 days it'd all be rotten on the shelves and I'd have nothing to sell. Made that mistake early on when I went "ok lets start harvest!" and we started bringing in 5 bushels a day of pods... only to throw them all out a week later!

Now we harvest 1 peck of each for farmers markets, we harvest to order on the mail order stuff, and otherwise; the pods stay ON the plants in the field.

I got my order today!

I ate my first fresh pod of the year. It was an MoA Scotch Bonnet and it KICKED MY ASS! Last night I ate chicken alfredo and mixed in red Moruga Scorpion powder into it. I use frozen pods and pepper powders regularly and figured this would keep my tolerance where it was for the next year.

I fully expected to tank it, but then realized that I had been sick and a bit dehydrated today and ate it on an empty stomach. I drank some milk a bit later but it was going to town on me for a while there. Red watery eyes, hiccups....I took a drink of soda just to kick it up even more and it did so a lot more than I expected it to. It tasted great and still does when I belch but I was not expecting it to get to me since I've eaten many fresh Scorpions, Reapers and Ghosts so I thought it would be nothing. Those were ten rough minutes!

Though then again....last year's first pod was a red Moruga Scorpion and it would've been on an empty stomach....except I had drank a pot of coffee. THAT stomped me down for HOURS!

I'm convinced that it's less about SHU and more about the size and density of the pepper. I had no idea that MoA and TFM SBs were so HUGE and compact on top of that!

Oh and I'm also very happy with the prices and the amount I got! THANK YOU!

Sinn said:
Hey Trent got the Aleppo’s in they look great! can’t wait to make some flakes with them also thank you for the bonus peppers appreciate it what are these guys?
b6e778ddf3c73d80fdbba2edec65edf0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bite in to one of 'em. If they whoop your ass pretty bad, they are Yellow Fatalli. If they taste citrusy and only whoop your ass a LITTLE, they are Aji Limo. :)

Ghaleon said:
I got my order today!

I ate my first fresh pod of the year. It was an MoA Scotch Bonnet and it KICKED MY ASS! Last night I ate chicken alfredo and mixed in red Moruga Scorpion powder into it. I use frozen pods and pepper powders regularly and figured this would keep my tolerance where it was for the next year.

I fully expected to tank it, but then realized that I had been sick and a bit dehydrated today and ate it on an empty stomach. I drank some milk a bit later but it was going to town on me for a while there. Red watery eyes, hiccups....I took a drink of soda just to kick it up even more and it did so a lot more than I expected it to. It tasted great and still does when I belch but I was not expecting it to get to me since I've eaten many fresh Scorpions, Reapers and Ghosts so I thought it would be nothing. Those were ten rough minutes!

Though then again....last year's first pod was a red Moruga Scorpion and it would've been on an empty stomach....except I had drank a pot of coffee. THAT stomped me down for HOURS!

I'm convinced that it's less about SHU and more about the size and density of the pepper. I had no idea that MoA and TFM SBs were so HUGE and compact on top of that!

Oh and I'm also very happy with the prices and the amount I got! THANK YOU!

You're welcome, glad I could get you some good stuff. The Scotch bonnets are indeed certifiably HOT. I had my ass resoundingly whooped by one in some salsa the other day. I was about 10 chips in before I was hitting the fridge for milk. I couldn't finish the bowl of salsa. I got 9/10ths of it down and by then I was also on my 3rd glass of milk so I was full, and couldn't eat anymore. :)

I've got a Habanero/Reaper cross out there that kicked my ass bad yesterday, too. ONE of the 200ish habanero plants is growing lumpy, gnarly red pods that sort of look like a Bhut Jolokia with a real bad attitude problem. I was crawling down the hab row and decided to take a bite out of one of the pods out there in the field and IMMEDIATELY regretted it. Just a little half-dime sized nibble, hit my mouth, I smelled the classic ultrahot smell, and spit it back out. Too late, damage was done. I was on fire for the second half of that habanero row. 

I'm definitely gonna save some seeds off of those.

I intentionally planted Big Sun Habanero flanked on one side by TFM Scotch Bonnet, and flanked on the other side by Carolina Reapers, so next year, when I plant those open pollinated seeds, I'm gonna get a variety of stuff.

I'm shooting for a yellow reaper hybrid, but don't know if I'll get lucky. No way I have time to do any isolation bagging, and my isolation house never got done, so .. just kind of hoping nature will give me a dose of luck.

But yeah, a Yellow Reaper is the goal. Figure TFM Scotch Bonnet or Big Sun Hab are two likely candidates for pollen doners. :)

Back