• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

I've been watching this from the beginning and got so much info for growing my own that I can't thank you enough.  I'm placing an order now and glad to see things are going well

karoo said:
The term "mild pepper" is something that only Pepperheads understand.

For the rest it is, hot, very hot, inedible. [emoji91][emoji39]

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

As a lightweight, I can confirm that this is true. My wife and I don't typically go hotter than Jalapeños and our families think we're crazy pepper heads.

I've made another order on Thursday, I believe but am glad it hasn't shipped since the holiday weekend would've screwed it. Looking forward for it to ship out Tuesday!

Ghaleon said:
So don't save seeds expecting pure bonnets? lol

LOL open pollination in a field with 30 other types of peppers, ranging from sweet to death... it's gonna be a crap shoot. :)

Money got tight and I didn't finish my isolation high tunnel this year, on the list for next spring so I can isolate about 400-500 mature plants.

Ghaleon said:
I've made another order on Thursday, I believe but am glad it hasn't shipped since the holiday weekend would've screwed it. Looking forward for it to ship out Tuesday!

We hold everything until "start of week", then ship. 

This week that was Tuesday (due to holiday).

Normally, though, we pick and ship Monday.

I had one complaint of produce going bad en-route (from a forum member), it was last week, heat index was hot, and USPS took 3 days to get it to texas. So they cooked en route.

They didn't ask for a refund or replacement, but I offered. I sent another 5 *pounds* of peppers (much bigger than their original order) via 2-day air out Tuesday to them, hoping to "beat the heat" this time.

No charge.

At this point, what's it matter? I've already spent a massive amount of money, and won't see it back. Might as well take care of the folks who went out of their way to throw a bit of coin my way. Peppers are just gonna rot in the field if I don't find a home for them.

TrentL said:

We hold everything until "start of week", then ship. 

This week that was Tuesday (due to holiday).

Normally, though, we pick and ship Monday.

I had one complaint of produce going bad en-route (from a forum member), it was last week, heat index was hot, and USPS took 3 days to get it to texas. So they cooked en route.

They didn't ask for a refund or replacement, but I offered. I sent another 5 *pounds* of peppers (much bigger than their original order) via 2-day air out Tuesday to them, hoping to "beat the heat" this time.

No charge.

At this point, what's it matter? I've already spent a massive amount of money, and won't see it back. Might as well take care of the folks who went out of their way to throw a bit of coin my way. Peppers are just gonna rot in the field if I don't find a home for them.
Awesome Trent.
BTW I will be visiting Springfield,il this month. If possible I will plan to visit your farm.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Yes. Trent is very awesome. I have been a recipient of his awesomeness and will continue to buy from him

Trent sir. You are definitely a stand up guy. Looking forward to doing more business with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrentL said:

LOL open pollination in a field with 30 other types of peppers, ranging from sweet to death... it's gonna be a crap shoot. :)

Actually, that makes me even more curious about your seeds.  :surprised:

saiias said:
Awesome Trent.
BTW I will be visiting Springfield,il this month. If possible I will plan to visit your farm.

Sure thing just hit me up via e-mail or facebook (I don't often hear my phone ring, when I'm home I use it for internet, it's up on the top floor to get the best signal, and I'm not within earshot usually).  sales@lawrenceproduce.com will forward to my "real" work e-mail that I have to check regularly. 

DontPanic said:

Actually, that makes me even more curious about your seeds.  :surprised:

Next year I'm just rolling the dice, myself. I'll be saving my own seeds. 

My seeds are considered "organic certified", for what it's worth, so if you have an organic operation you *can* use my seeds without issue. I can use them myself, of course, and meet USDA regulations on seed sourcing, since my own seeds are "organic certified seed stock." 

I had a wide mix of peppers in the field and have a log of what was planted near what. Internally, I will process and sort my seeds based on Row # / Plant #. 

For the MOST part, since I had planted cucumber blocks flanking each block of pepper, the bees were drawn away from the peppers. 

So I think by and large, it'll be fine, and most stuff will grow true. 

However, my rows were VERY tightly packed (3' spacing, makes it a bitch to harvest) so plants of different types were in *physical* contact with one another. E.g. overlapping branches. I'm bound to get some very direct cross pollination on those just from the "crawler" pollinators. 

On the website I fibbed just a little as I didn't want folks ordering Reapers from me just to harvest seeds, when my buddy Ed sells Reaper seeds on puckerbutt's site. I said I planted them next to sweet peppers on the website. Well, yes, that is partially true, there are sweet peppers in the field too. But one row of Reapers is in physical contact with a row of Moruga x Reaper and the other flank is Big Sun Habanero (I believe). So if they get cross pollinated much higher chance of evolving something crazy out of 'em.

Aleppo was planted next to Biker Billy; a 6" long good tasting Jalapeno would be pretty cool. I'd love to develop some "mega stuffer Jalapenos" :)

"Stuffed Jalapenos!! Hell you can fit a CORNISH HEN in one of these bad boys! $2 each! Step right up!"

And so on.. with no big commercial contracts, why the hell not just let Nature roll the dice for me? Next year will be a mess of tags such that "Habanero x ????" or "Reaper x ????" :)

The day I was hoping to have arrive, has also arrived. 

I just finished a phone call, and our entire pepper crop is now sold. 

We will still pick & ship internet and (a small amount) for farmers markets through the end of the season, but the HUGE amount of pods in the field which would otherwise go to waste are now sold.

Everything we don't pick & ship to direct consumers, or the 1/8 bushel of each type we pick for farmers markets each week, will be picked, crated, and loaded on to a semi truck (probably every other week, to allow enough pods to ripen), to make it's journey to the processing center. 

Next year we will get a production order so we know exactly what that place wants, and it'll be pre-arranged. So no guess work regarding "what the heck do we plant???" :)

What a massive relief.

Congratulations Trent. Feels great to see your efforts finally paying off.
TrentL said:
The day I was hoping to have arrive, has also arrived. 

I just finished a phone call, and our entire pepper crop is now sold. 

We will still pick & ship internet and (a small amount) for farmers markets through the end of the season, but the HUGE amount of pods in the field which would otherwise go to waste are now sold.

Everything we don't pick & ship to direct consumers, or the 1/8 bushel of each type we pick for farmers markets each week, will be picked, crated, and loaded on to a semi truck (probably every other week, to allow enough pods to ripen), to make it's journey to the processing center. 

Next year we will get a production order so we know exactly what that place wants, and it'll be pre-arranged. So no guess work regarding "what the heck do we plant???" :)

What a massive relief.

Man I tell you, I was ready to throw in the towel. When I did my field walkthrough last Friday and saw the ENORMOUS amount of "ready to pick" pods, and then Saturday got the "weekly tally" of sales (<$250, not enough to cover even the one laborer we have left) my heart just sank to a depth I didn't know was even possible before.

Gut wrenching. "I can grow stuff, I can grow it well" < seems like that's the job of the farmer.

The rest of it (selling) .. well, hell, not a hat I wear very well. Just leave me to my plants and let me do my thing. :)

So I basically ordered those just in time as now somebody has bought you out? Nice! Glad to see things working out for you!

It would be a damn shame to watch a ton of peppers just go bad and sour your experience.

Ghaleon said:
So I basically ordered those just in time as now somebody has bought you out? Nice! Glad to see things working out for you!

It would be a damn shame to watch a ton of peppers just go bad and sour your experience.

Well, not exactly; we will still process all internet orders as is currently done, and reserve a small (insignificant) amount for us to sell locally at farmers markets. But periodically (every couple of weeks) we will clear the field, sort and pack, and ship everything that didn't get sold. Plants are life support - pods stay healthy for a lot longer on them.

I do need to get BT dust approved to stem the damn caterpillars, though. They weren't a big issue before as we only needed to harvest a small amount of what was out there, but at this point, caterpillars are going to make a big dent in my production.  About half the pods we pick are getting munched on, and we have to toss them. Not a big problem when you are selling < 1% of what is out there. But now that we have a standing order for "everything you otherwise don't have a purpose for" we need to get the little armyworm moth bastards under control. :)

Back