• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking 5.0's Sous Vide sucks and you should feel bad BGE Smoked Brisket

No beef yet, but just finished cleaning, vacuuming and prepping the fire box with a full load of lump + hardwood

19106012_10213179417545232_4047025763278888869_n.jpg

tctenten said:
I have the XL. The large is the same size as my WSM. I have been very happy with the extra real estate and the larger fuel box.

Ya I bought the XL for my football parties, but i rarely used it outside that, and even then for some parties the Large is just fine.  I may end up keeping it because I am not taking low ball offers on it.  Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it heh  But if it does sell I am gonna have a guy make me a custom offset/vault for larger smokes.  This guy makes some dope ones: http://www.katbbqsmokers.com/  More specifically this one: http://www.katbbqsmokers.com/48x24_vault/  but its hard convincing the wife to let me drop 3k on a smoker haha

But one thing is for sure, I will never be eggless until the day I die.  I will be buried with mine.

Nice smokers. Still pretty green with my egg, but I understand your feelings about it. Love to see your setup when you put the meat on.

tctenten said:
Nice smokers. Still pretty green with my egg, but I understand your feelings about it. Love to see your setup when you put the meat on.

Absolutely.  I have the plate setter, the cast iron firebox upgrade and the cast iron grate.  I gotta meet a customer for work, so I am going get the meat on in about 6 or 7 hours.  Damn making money is killin my time frames >.<

I've come to like 210-220 before the stall, and around 280-320F thereafter ...

That said, I think I could probably just go 280-320F the whole way, too ...

I might have a bigger problem with brisket drying out, though, in the Akorn/Weber ... especially since I don't mop or spray or wrap, and try to get all the way to 203-205F 9 times out of 10.

grantmichaels said:
I've come to like 210-220 before the stall, and around 280-320F thereafter ...

That said, I think I could probably just go 280-320F the whole way, too ...

I might have a bigger problem with brisket drying out, though, in the Akorn/Weber ... especially since I don't mop or spray or wrap, and try to get all the way to 203-205F 9 times out of 10.

Ya thats one of the best parts about egg and being virtually sealed is that it stays super humid inside.  I might texas crutch this if the stall is going on to long.

I've never looked into it, but I imagine it's also the properties similar to terracotta pots ...

They breath oxygen and also wick and/or provide moisture, beyond the effect of the insulation.

grantmichaels said:
I've never looked into it, but I imagine it's also the properties similar to terracotta pots ...

They breath oxygen and also wick and/or provide moisture, beyond the effect of the insulation.

Yep I took mine to the next level as well.  I kept scorching the felt seals on where the lid meats the base when cooking pizza at 700+ degrees, so i found a trick to use Permatex Copper Gasket maker.  This will be my first cook with it.  The seal is 100%, so the only openings will be about 1/8-1/4" on the top petals and the slight opening for my blower at the bottom.

Interesting. 700F constraint probably not very limiting, I guess ...

I really don't enjoy the raging hot cooks - probably why I've not seen fit to use the kettlepizza often ...

It's kind of unwieldy over 900-1000F ...

Had the kettlepizza so hot once (oak), the handles on the Weber went a tiny bit limp under their own weight ...

It's never been sealed as well as beforehand, since.

Going off the title is there any combo of sous vide AND smoking that has worked out? Real smoking not a hand butane unit or whatever. Just curious.

fumée vide

;)

There was a ChefSteps & Meathead Goldwynn collab period for a few weeks a while back ...

You can SV in the middle, but you can't get away from hours on smoke up front (2-3) and hours at the end (4-6) if you want everything a brisket is expected to be/have ...

Could consider it wrapping 2.0, both are braising ...

I'm going to do it because I don't like the overnight, unattended smoker much ... while acknowledging it's an irrational fear of the look on the firemen's faces if I had to have them out again over BBQ.

I also figured middle... so I guessed close I guess. Figured smoke at high temp to form bark, then sous vide, then back on smoker normal temp just to dry out bark, or similar... but I don't think that would be faster (would it?)... or better, but would be interesting to see!

Back