• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Amost went to the hospital!

Caustic Casey said:
I only ate one, all at once - call me wimpy, but I felt like someone stabbed me in the stomach.
The initial flavor was incredible, but once the heat peaked I was in alot of pain... I think it might have been the oils from the bacon and the cheese that dispersed the capsaicin like a tidal wave...
:mouthonfire:

I have , unfortunately, developed that problem. Too much hot gives me brutal stomach cramps. You really do feel like you might need medical help for a while.

It sucks!
:(

Omri said:
Well there are REASONS, that I'm sure you're aware of. it's a way of life in so many ways, not just diet-related.

Yes I did live that life while growing up. There are many Jews that break down that overall way of life and choose not to adhere to certain parts of it. I am one of them.

Buddah said:
The reason I do not follow my kosher upbringing is because I love me piglet meat. Bacon, sausage, mmmm ribs, then there is the shellfish thingy that I just do not get. At least my parents didn't make me stay kosher in the household like their parents. Of course, we might have all grow up skinnier. :(

I always looked into my late grandmother's eyes whenever we used go out to eat as a family and she just wanted to know why we were "mmmm-ing" about when we ate ribs and cocktail shrimp. She would ask if the food was good, but never wanted to try it because she wanted to stay kosher. Poor woman. Never knew how good pig tastes.

I rest my case.

Philipperv said:
Yes I did live that life while growing up. There are many Jews that break down that overall way of life and choose not to adhere to certain parts of it. I am one of them.
Actually most of the Jews here don't really give a #%&@! about how Kosher their food is. including parts of my own family. that's why I wrote:
Omri;108183][quote name= said:
Sure hope you didn't think I was being critical Omri...it was just a question I had...
No worries. I even get that question here. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Now let me tell you a little secret... as a child I was raised as a Jew, but both my parents ate anything. AS A KID, I didn't have much control of what I eat, and I ate almost anything you could think of. one side of my family is very religious, and that's where I encountered the alternative way of life.

I'm not highly religious, but traditional in way of life.

May I suggest taking the tooth picks out before you eat them next time! Those little buggers can really stick ya in the belly ;)

Empty stomach for me means my whole night will be ruined. Even if I have had a few beers, which I do to fill me up while I'm cooking. Doesnt matter for me, I have to have actual food in there first.

Canuk Pepperhead said:
what exactly is kosher in the way you are disgussing it certian types of food are forbidden??just curious
Kosher is eating certain things in certain ways. even a so called Kosher meat such as beef needs to be prepared first for it to be Kosher. it's mainly what to eat and how. for example you can't eat dairy with meat. pork is forbidden in all forms.

CaLoR said:
Empty stomach for me means my whole night will be ruined. Even if I have had a few beers, which I do to fill me up while I'm cooking. Doesnt matter for me, I have to have actual food in there first.

Like I said before, I learned a hard lesson!!!

Even if your belief system said thou shalt not eat pig, I think God could forgive you for eating something that was wrapped around a pepper like that.

Surely that will have cleansed it of any uncleanness...

Canuk Pepperhead said:
what exactly is kosher in the way you are disgussing it certian types of food are forbidden??just curious

CP If I wanted Chili Nutterz to be Kosher I would have to pay a Rabbi $5,000 dollars to come and bless the nut factory ( I'm totally serious) The main office for Kosher blessing is in New York in a skyscraper on Park Ave. It's a big thing in the food industry. I always thought it was a certain type of food preperation.

DickT said:
CP If I wanted Chili Nutterz to be Kosher I would have to pay a Rabbi $5,000 dollars to come and bless the nut factory ( I'm totally serious) The main office for Kosher blessing is in New York in a skyscraper on Park Ave. It's a big thing in the food industry. I always thought it was a certain type of food preperation.
Well *here* you don't have to pay anything to get someone to come and look around. if they do find everything Kosher, you pay for this little diploma stating the place is Kosher. costs basically nothing. more of a symbolic kinda thing. there are different levels of Kosher and you need to cover different standards for each level. for instance, some people won't eat food that isn't glat, but basic "Kosherness" is fine for me.

Omri said:
Well *here* you don't have to pay anything to get someone to come and look around. if they do find everything Kosher, you pay for this little diploma stating the place is Kosher. costs basically nothing. more of a symbolic kinda thing. there are different levels of Kosher and you need to cover different standards for each level. for instance, some people won't eat food that isn't glat, but basic "Kosherness" is fine for me.

What is Glat? What exactly does kosher mean? Is it basically " the food is being prepared in a clean facility" Growing up the only thing I can remember about the word kosher was pickles, kosher dills, just always thought they were prepared a certain way. It was not until I entered the food trade that I learned otherwise.

DickT said:
What is Glat? What exactly does kosher mean? Is it basically " the food is being prepared in a clean facility" Growing up the only thing I can remember about the word kosher was pickles, kosher dills, just always thought they were prepared a certain way. It was not until I entered the food trade that I learned otherwise.
You need different dishes, tools and machines for processing meat and dairy. in meat the animal should have slaughtered in a certain way. it shouldn't have any blood in it before cooking. the animal should not have any damaged organs (for glat, which is a very strict type of Kosher). stuff like that.

Jews have certain laws to live by. Kosher is basically a teaching of how you should eat and prepare your food.

Omri said:
You need different dishes, tools and machines for processing meat and dairy. in meat the animal should have slaughtered in a certain way. it shouldn't have any blood in it before cooking. the animal should not have any damaged organs (for glat, which is a very strict type of Kosher). stuff like that.

Jews have certain laws to live by. Kosher is basically a teaching of how you should eat and prepare your food.

I have heard about the draining of the blood thing before, did not know that was a jewish thing. Have you ever heard of Hebrew National hot dogs, they are a big thing at our baseball games, all beef I believe. What about shellfish, there is a large Jewish population in Baltimore and crabs are what Baltimore is known for. I remember the Sienfeld episode where the one girl would not eat the lobster. Do you eat any shellfish?

DickT said:
I have heard about the draining of the blood thing before, did not know that was a jewish thing. Have you ever heard of Hebrew National hot dogs, they are a big thing at our baseball games, all beef I believe. What about shellfish, there is a large Jewish population in Baltimore and crabs are what Baltimore is known for. I remember the Sienfeld episode where the one girl would not eat the lobster. Do you eat any shellfish?
As it goes to sea life, Jews only eat fish and ones with scales.
Read this:
http://www.jewfaq.org/kashrut.htm

Back