• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any lawn and yard fanatics out there? Let me see...

miguelovic said:
I love your lawn, brown is beautiful. It's a botanical masterpiece of variety, though there are some patches of grass that could use a few more species. As a Master Dandelion Farmer, I feel you're doing yourself a disservice removing those natural wonders. While they're dispersing seeds, don't shy away from helping nature, get in there, gather a handful of stalks and dance around like a fairy, evenly distributing the seed. With a little luck, the wind will carry leftovers in to your neighbours lawn, spreading the love.

I also feel like there isn't enough moss. Undervalued lawn accent of the century.
I'm all about bio diversity as a prominent AACT snob

Ouch? :D

ColdSmoke said:
Love you guys! I just peed on it. Nitrogen!I figured all my neighbor's dog do it so why not? I can't complain, we have the dogs who pee on lawns

I walk PAST the washroom to go piss on the lawn, two or three times a day if I remember. An even spray is key, sway side to side, back and forth. There's something liberating about not aiming at a porcelain throne.

I wasen't foolin' aboot your lawn either. I had about two dozen little treelings growing up all over the place before I finally grew a pair and slaughtered the little gingers. They grew wildly without the gasoline reaper raising hell once a week. The heat of summer/no water stops the grass dead in its tracks and I don't have to waste time preemptively mowing to stop the neighbour from taking over. As it is, he still overmaintains the patch between houses, and I'm pretty sure the little prick was fertilizing the other day. He's not a prick, I just like that turn of phrase. I'ma give him some peppers one day for the help.

"Dried bell peppers"

I wouldn't really consider myself a lawn fanatic as of yet.  But now that we own a house on a decent-sized lot, I expect that to change sooner instead of later.  With our neighbor directly across the street from us having such an immaculate lawn, easily the nicest one on the block, it has given me a goal to reach towards with our own landscaping.

As of right now though, all I've really been doing is trying to maintain our yard while dealing with the problems that we inherited from the previous owner.  There are a lot of weeds, a lot of dead patches, on top of a pretty severe Japanese beetle infestation (that is most likely the cause of our dead patches of grass).  We've already ripped out a huge raspberry patch, as well as all of the dead/dying plants/weeds around the perimeter of the house.  And after we thaw out from the upcoming winter, that is when the real fun will begin with the actual beautification of our property.  I'm looking forward to it.

In the meantime though, here is the most recent photo I have of our backyard:

nBjOHAE.jpg

JuanHubero said:
I wouldn't really consider myself a lawn fanatic as of yet.  But now that we own a house on a decent-sized lot, I expect that to change sooner instead of later.  With our neighbor directly across the street from us having such an immaculate lawn, easily the nicest one on the block, it has given me a goal to reach towards with our own landscaping.
As of right now though, all I've really been doing is trying to maintain our yard while dealing with the problems that we inherited from the previous owner.  There are a lot of weeds, a lot of dead patches, on top of a pretty severe Japanese beetle infestation (that is most likely the cause of our dead patches of grass).  We've already ripped out a huge raspberry patch, as well as all of the dead/dying plants/weeds around the perimeter of the house.  And after we thaw out from the upcoming winter, that is when the real fun will begin with the actual beautification of our property.  I'm looking forward to it.
In the meantime though, here is the most recent photo I have of our backyard:
nBjOHAE.jpg
Nice man..how much land you got? I know I have a small yard as you can see from my pics from when I started this thread but I have a plot of land with 6 acres on a lake and the wife and I dream to make it as nice as we have our current home we live in...

Keep us posted on your "beautification"...

Edit..you glad the Bills will be staying in Buffalo?

We only have 0.4 acres, which is about 4x bigger than the lot we were living on in West Buffalo.  It's not big by any stretch of the imagination.  But it is still more than enough space for us to put up a couple of hoop houses, have BBQs, host yo-yo club meets, raise/foster/train rescue dogs, and eventually raise a kid.  I wouldn't mind buying a house on an even bigger lot if the opportunity ever presented itself in the future though.

As for the Bills, I'm definitely glad the Pegulas are buying them and that they'll be staying in Buffalo forever.  This city lives for their sports teams, and it would have been a shame if they ended up moving up to Toronto (or somewhere else).  Even though the Seahawks are my #1 team (born and raised in Seattle), I still have a soft spot for the Bills and their loyal fanbase.  

miguelovic said:
I love your lawn, brown is beautiful. It's a botanical masterpiece of variety, though there are some patches of grass that could use a few more species. As a Master Dandelion Farmer, I feel you're doing yourself a disservice removing those natural wonders. While they're dispersing seeds, don't shy away from helping nature, get in there, gather a handful of stalks and dance around like a fairy, evenly distributing the seed. With a little luck, the wind will carry leftovers in to your neighbours lawn, spreading the love.

I also feel like there isn't enough moss. Undervalued lawn accent of the century.
I have to say my neighbors don't take care of their lawn or yard like I do and it's kinda funny cause when they do cut or do whatever they make sure not to get anything on my driveway or nothing blows onto my lawn...I gotta say if I saw my neighbor purposely blowing or throwing dandelions as miguelovic stated or any kind of weed onto my lawn I would choke the life out of them and use them for fertilizer for my lawn..;)

All kidding aside it's just funny how "cautious" and/or respectful my neighbors are though when it comes to ensuring they don't move a blade of grass out of its place on my lawn or ensuring they don't get anything on my property..didn't realize I was that bad , but I have accepted it and I am that bad..oh well...;) however, when I do cut my gras which is every other day sometimes everyday, I do edge both of my neighbors lawns that touches the sidewalk that runs in front of our homes...makes it look real good...;)
JuanHubero said:
We only have 0.4 acres, which is about 4x bigger than the lot we were living on in West Buffalo.  It's not big by any stretch of the imagination.  But it is still more than enough space for us to put up a couple of hoop houses, have BBQs, host yo-yo club meets, raise/foster/train rescue dogs, and eventually raise a kid.  I wouldn't mind buying a house on an even bigger lot if the opportunity ever presented itself in the future though.
As for the Bills, I'm definitely glad the Pegulas are buying them and that they'll be staying in Buffalo forever.  This city lives for their sports teams, and it would have been a shame if they ended up moving up to Toronto (or somewhere else).  Even though the Seahawks are my #1 team (born and raised in Seattle), I still have a soft spot for the Bills and their loyal fanbase.
The Seahawks look just as unstoppable as they did last year...Go Lions, I think we might be able to do something this year...:) I hope...

I think they're looking even more unstoppable this time around, but I'm definitely a little biased there.  With Percy Harvin healthy, on top of Lynch being the workhorse he is, the offense is looking so much better than it did last season...And their D is looking downright monstrous.

As for the Lions, they looked really impressive against the Giants on Monday.  Stafford has some serious receivers at his disposal.  Megatron is a beast, and Golden Tate is a clutch receiver.  I'll honestly be surprised if the Lions don't make the playoffs this year.

JuanHubero said:
I think they're looking even more unstoppable this time around, but I'm definitely a little biased there.  With Percy Harvin healthy, on top of Lynch being the workhorse he is, the offense is looking so much better than it did last season...And their D is looking downright monstrous.
As for the Lions, they looked really impressive against the Giants on Monday.  Stafford has some serious receivers at his disposal.  Megatron is a beast, and Golden Tate is a clutch receiver.  I'll honestly be surprised if the Lions don't make the playoffs this year.
Dude Lynch is a beast, guess that's why they call him a beast lol..

Man I sure hope they make the playoffs...I'm so tired of this sucking sheeit....only thing that might hurt us is our Defensive backs, not everyone has a Sherman.....but if our offense which should be unstoppable with Megateon, Tate, Ebron and our backfield being respectable we should be able to out score our opponents and take the pressure of our crappy defense...that's the plan I assume with the way we drafted and setup our team...

We shall see...

ColdSmoke said:
Nah, just going with the flow...
So you gonna just tear it all up or what's you plan? If you are gonna tes to fix it, like I said follow the "triangle approach" for killing the weeds..it will give you the best chance at success..if that doesn't work then it is time to do a full reno...

sp33d said:
So you gonna just tear it all up or what's you plan? If you are gonna tes to fix it, like I said follow the "triangle approach" for killing the weeds..it will give you the best chance at success..if that doesn't work then it is time to do a full reno...

I'm just going to slowly work on it. The triangle approach may work, but with winter around the corner I'm not sure that wouldn't just be a wasted effort. 

Oh absolutely man..I would give it a dose of whatever you use to start killing the weeds now because they do drop seeds that lay dormant then germinate in the spring so if you take care of them now with a preemergent that will help..then start full auto kill mode in the spring...;)
ColdSmoke said:
I'm just going to slowly work on it. The triangle approach may work, but with winter around the corner I'm not sure that wouldn't just be a wasted effort.

I think mostly what it needs is attention. The weeds are from laziness and I need to get a good edger to help keep things isolated. Any recommendations on an affordable edger? 

Once I get the moss raked and the ground aerated I will add a bunch of good organic material to help soften the medium

Can we talk compost piles here? I don't want to hijack but it seems like there are quite a few engaged people in this thread and I hate starting new ones. 

ColdSmoke said:
I think mostly what it needs is attention. The weeds are from laziness and I need to get a good edger to help keep things isolated. Any recommendations on an affordable edger? 

Once I get the moss raked and the ground aerated I will add a bunch of good organic material to help soften the medium
Can we talk compost piles here? I don't want to hijack but it seems like there are quite a few engaged people in this thread and I hate starting new ones.
I agree it needs attention but putting down a preemergent down this fall will most certainly help come next spring I can promise you that...

As far as edgers, what I did was buy an old gas edger from craiglist for like $30 and I do my edge with at for the first time in the spring to give me that solid deep edge to start the season with and I just maintain that edge with my electric weed whacker through the season..

Hells yeah man go for it dude, I don't see an issue with talking about compost piles as long as it does't turn into a compost thread lol...I actually plan on starting a compost pile next spring ...I'm building a compost bin that has 2 sections and will be lifted off the ground and made with 2x4's and screen...;)

I'm mostly wondering if I can make a bin out of wood rounds. I have a quite a bit of wood that's pretty useless for firewood (knotty pine) and figured I make use of it somehow. I was just going to make a 'box' with stacked wood and cap it with some ply wood Im not using. I definitely wont be air tight.

ColdSmoke said:
Well that didn't go far lol...:)

Ok my fellow lawn fanatics...
I know you can't see my lawn but I was out front drinking like 16 or so beers with my neighbor for his bday today and I said my as well snap some pics when the landscape lights come on...so here ya go...I have a single light on my USA tea stained flag and another light on my knitted USMC Eagle, Globe and Anchor flag...also have a light on my purple Japanese maple on the front right closest to house so it casts a really nice shadow onto my house of the Japanese maple (my camera skills and camera are not able to capture that sorry)... Also have a light on my green Japanese maple on the front left side closest to sidewalk/driveway and that also casts a cool shadow onto my lawn and partially onto my house ....really cool to see at night, wish I was able to really capture it with a camera because I get almost just as many compliments on my lighting as I do my lawn and landscaping...

Enjoy..

I will post a reference daytime photo and then the same angle just at night time..I wish my crappy camera was able to get the shadows that are casted from the lighting hitting the trees....oh well you get the idea..;)
image.jpg

And the other side
image.jpg

Back