• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any lawn and yard fanatics out there? Let me see...

outlaw said:
Here she is as of today. I just put down some milorganite - its supposed to rain the next few days so hopefully it'll start greening up

START greening up?! lol You should see my "lawn". It's pretty much the same color as that scabby, defoliated crabapple tree at the top of your pic.

LOL man I guess that pic makes it look fairly green, but there are some yellow spots and it has been drier this last week. I didn't mean to sound like i was complaining

outlaw said:
LOL man I guess that pic makes it look fairly green, but there are some yellow spots and it has been drier this last week. I didn't mean to sound like i was complaining

It won't be long before you're giving sp33d a run for his money!

ColdSmoke said:
My crappy front lawn.
     ^Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! Creeping charlie, crabgrass, yellow nutsedge, a little crimson clover… My compost pile eats that stuff up!

outlaw said:
sp33d can you elaborate on your homemade striper? I'm having a tough time putting the pieces together in my head, do you have a step-by-step process? Sorry for my incompetence

This is what I have if it matters...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Self-Propelled-Gas-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216K9VKA/203709643?N=5yc1vZc5arZ3le

I don't have a step by step but I can try to give you a parts list that might help..
Nuts and bolts
Cotter pins
PVC glue
Sand
Pebble stone
4" or 6" PVC with end caps
Bolts for end caps drilled into each each end cap so the tubing can hook up to it and spin freely
Some kind of brace or hardware from a hardware store, this is where you have to get creative but any hardware store should have something that you can visualize to hook up to the bolts that are drilled into the end caps on each end of the PVC and from the bolts it run up and is mounted to the lower tubes of your lawnmower handle

Did you see the picture of my lawnmower that I posted with my striper? Might help visualize if you havnt ...sorry I'm not the best explainer lol

Edit..here is the pic I was talking about ..I hope that helps..btw very nice mower man...I was either getting that one or the one I have, I went with the husqavarna with the all wheel drive and 190cc honda motor...
image.jpg

millworkman said:
Speed man, I am not trying to knock you at all because you yard is gorgeous, but it is TINY!  :)
Yeah I know man...my front lawn is 1000sqft...my house also looks smaller then it really is as well, I have 2 additions one upstairs and one off the back of my house to make it a total of 2200sqft..all my neighbors live in 1200 sqft homes...

outlaw said:
Here she is as of today. I just put down some milorganite - its supposed to rain the next few days so hopefully it'll start greening up

Looks nice man ...it will take a few weeks for the microherd to process the milo and start to see the greening up and growth from the milo..but if you stay on top of the milo and do it once a month your lawn will look awesome man..also aerate and mulch this fall and give it that dose of nitrogen at the end of the year and your lawn will be super nice next year man..

Edit..I will post when I apply my dose of nitrogen..it's usually around the middle to end of November ..but it will vary from location to location due to varying temps in the soil..

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks sp33d! I saw your intial picture, but the bracket/brace is what I'm having the most trouble with. The PVC tube and everything makes sense, just cant get the mount figured out. Can I pay you to put one together for me? LOL [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I appreciate the mower compliment - LOVE my Honda [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]When is the best time to aerate? I was thinking early October? Keep me posted on when you apply the nitrogen, is there a brand of Urea that I can buy at Menards/Lowes/Home Depot? Or do I need to order that online? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks brother! [/SIZE]

outlaw said:
Thanks sp33d! I saw your intial picture, but the bracket/brace is what I'm having the most trouble with. The PVC tube and everything makes sense, just cant get the mount figured out. Can I pay you to put one together for me? LOL

I appreciate the mower compliment - LOVE my Honda

When is the best time to aerate? I was thinking early October? Keep me posted on when you apply the nitrogen, is there a brand of Urea that I can buy at Menards/Lowes/Home Depot? Or do I need to order that online?

Thanks brother!
Lol oh you can do it man and if all else fails I will surely make you one if need be..;)

Everything varies from location to location but generally sometime near the end of September to mid October for aeration and top dressing if you decide to top dress...

I haven't seen any pure nitrogen at any of those locations..honestly you can't rally beat the deal that kelpforless.com has for urea...get the 10lbs bag and it should last you a few years all depending on the size of your lawn of course, just follow the 1lb/1000sqft rule and you won't burn your grass...

No problem man I love helping people with their lawn...I'm a total lawn geek...

Haha thanks man, I will keep messing with the bracket idea. I really want to get some stripes going!

Just put in an order for 10lbs of urea from Kelp4Less.com with the "GREENTHUMB" coupon code - came out to $19.80 including shipping. Can't beat that!

Thanks again man, I've learned a lot. I may be joining the lawn geek squad...

Ok watered yesterday and cut today...

image.jpg

I'm always showing pics from the one angle so here is a shot from the other side..can actually see that my house isn't a shoe box like all my neighbors...
image.jpg

That last pic really gives you a good perspective on how green your lawn is...looks like your neighbor on the right has the shag carpet grass

That's some good looking grass.  I might have found my goal for next year....  My grass is good and I have it sprayed so it has no weeds, but I usually cut it too short and never fertilize.  My yard is a little bigger (.39 acres)  so I might not LOL. 

Good looking yards fellers.

So does anyone have advice for me and my crappy lawn? Do you think de thatching and aeration (adding castings, compost and other organic materials) will be enough? I can almost hand pick a lot of the dandelions but the other broad leafed assholes in there seem to keep migrating in. It's brow because I chose to conserve water this year because well, we're running out of here out west. Damn Californians. 

Maybe I should just burn it?

ColdSmoke said:
So does anyone have advice for me and my crappy lawn? Do you think de thatching and aeration (adding castings, compost and other organic materials) will be enough? I can almost hand pick a lot of the dandelions but the other broad leafed assholes in there seem to keep migrating in. It's brow because I chose to conserve water this year because well, we're running out of here out west. Damn Californians. 

just put in a call to Ukraine for a few of those Phosphorous incendiaries! that should do the trick!

dash 2 said:

It won't be long before you're giving sp33d a run for his money!

^Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! Creeping charlie, crabgrass, yellow nutsedge, a little crimson clover… My compost pile eats that stuff up!
What about those wonderful dandelions? The root and leaves are a great addition to a botanical tea.

ColdSmoke said:

Of course that will help but there is a point though where it is better just "burn" it and start over like I did... My old lawn was so bad I just tore it out with a sod skimmer then roto tilled it then added 7 yards of compost and peat moss the laid the 3D KBG sod....

ColdSmoke said:

I love your lawn, brown is beautiful. It's a botanical masterpiece of variety, though there are some patches of grass that could use a few more species. As a Master Dandelion Farmer, I feel you're doing yourself a disservice removing those natural wonders. While they're dispersing seeds, don't shy away from helping nature, get in there, gather a handful of stalks and dance around like a fairy, evenly distributing the seed. With a little luck, the wind will carry leftovers in to your neighbours lawn, spreading the love.

I also feel like there isn't enough moss. Undervalued lawn accent of the century.

Love you guys! I just peed on it. Nitrogen!I figured all my neighbor's dog do it so why not? I can't complain, we have the dogs who pee on lawns

Back