• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Any lawn and yard fanatics out there? Let me see...

Your idea of easy is not the same as mine :D.

A million more questions: Do hardware stores rent aerators? Is there cure for moss? What if 80% of the lawn is moss and broad leaved weeds; is it even worth trying to fix? Should I throw some seed down after I aerate? 

I'll try to get some pics tonight. I really want a nice lawn again. 

ColdSmoke said:

A million more questions: Do hardware stores rent aerators? Is there cure for moss? What if 80% of the lawn is moss and broad leaved weeds; is it even worth trying to fix? Should I throw some seed down after I aerate? 

Maybe...probably depends on which hardware store..
Depending on size of lawn you can go to lowes or depot and get a aerater that you manually use for like $20...

Well 80% is tough...never hurts to try but there is a point where it's earsier and more economical to just do a full reno..

I wouldn't throw seed down until you have the weeds under control especially if your sitting at 80% weeds...

ColdSmoke said:

My local home depot rents aerators and tillers so you may try yours if you have one local.
sp33d said:
To help with the ground being rock hard, start aerating every spring and fall and adding organic matter....

Aerating in the spring and fall will help and also you can do top dressings with organic matter and over time it will improve the composition of your soil and drain better plus over time it will level out with spreading out the top dressing...
Thanks sp33d. Should be going out tomorrow to check progress so will get some pics to show what I'm dealing with. Heavy clay, rutted like crazy and no drainage in low spots. Going to be a lot of work.

MeatHead1313 said:
My local home depot rents aerators and tillers so you may try yours if you have one local.
Thanks sp33d. Should be going out tomorrow to check progress so will get some pics to show what I'm dealing with. Heavy clay, rutted like crazy and no drainage in low spots. Going to be a lot of work.
Yeah you can rent one from depot for roughly $75 a day or if you yard isn't to large you can a manual one that has a handle and 2 spikes on bottom and you walk around and step on it...that's what I do..

Let's see them pics man..:)

Not the best pic.
Does it count?
DSCN6420 (5).jpg

What about mulching vs. bagging? I'm guessing most people bag?

I like to go over it once mulching and then go over it a second time bagging. It makes the grass nice and fine for the compost bins. I'm planning on getting some Ironite this week from Lowes to give it a nice boost. Is there a good fall/spring fertilizer anyone recommends? 

sp33d said:
Yeah you can rent one from depot for roughly $75 a day or if you yard isn't to large you can a manual one that has a handle and 2 spikes on bottom and you walk around and step on it...that's what I do..
Let's see them pics man..:)
$63 for the day at my local. Got just over 1/2 an acre, so manual is not an option lol. Couldn't get many pics as its just far too wet at the moment. It's been storming pretty much every day lately. Not good on clay soil lol.
This is the "dirt" I have to work with
msg-8474-0-63465400-1408654140_thumb.jpg

And this is what it's looking like around the house where the trucks have rutted it up bad
20140907_131909.jpg

Edit to add-I have no idea why my pics post sideways when I post from my phone.

outlaw said:
What about mulching vs. bagging? I'm guessing most people bag?

I like to go over it once mulching and then go over it a second time bagging. It makes the grass nice and fine for the compost bins. I'm planning on getting some Ironite this week from Lowes to give it a nice boost. Is there a good fall/spring fertilizer anyone recommends?
I bag all year except in fall, I mulch the fallen leaves into the lawn for the organic matter..after doing it a few years in a row you will start to change the composition of the soil into "loamy soil" which is exactly what you want for soil composition for grass...

Skip the ironite and apply a bag of milogranite every month during the growing season...that will provide everything you lawn needs...I personally apply a bag and a half every month....when your lawn stops growing which is usually 10-15 days before the soil reaches freezing temp, apply 1lb/1000sqft of nitrogen..I personally use urea from kelpforless.....that application will be stored in your grass roots for the spring flush and your lawn will explode with growth in the spring ...you will be amazed on how green your lawn will be when it starts to grow in spring with the urea application from the fall that is stored in the roots is used for that initial growth....

Going to cut my lawn today..maybe I will post another pic because it is looking so friggin good right now ...so deep green it almost looks blue...that's why I love me some kentucky bluegrass...

Yeah I'm a lawn geek lol..any other questions don't hesitate to ask...

sp33d said:
I bag all year except in fall, I mulch the fallen leaves into the lawn for the organic matter..after doing it a few years in a row you will start to change the composition of the soil into "loamy soil" which is exactly what you want for soil composition for grass...

Skip the ironite and apply a bag of milogranite every month during the growing season...that will provide everything you lawn needs...I personally apply a bag and a half every month....when your lawn stops growing which is usually 10-15 days before the soil reaches freezing temp, apply 1lb/1000sqft of nitrogen..I personally use urea from kelpforless.....that application will be stored in your grass roots for the spring flush and your lawn will explode with growth in the spring ...you will be amazed on how green your lawn will be when it starts to grow in spring with the urea application from the fall that is stored in the roots is used for that initial growth....

Going to cut my lawn today..maybe I will post another pic because it is looking so friggin good right now ...so deep green it almost looks blue...that's why I love me some kentucky bluegrass...

Yeah I'm a lawn geek lol..any other questions don't hesitate to ask...
Exactly the knowledge I was looking for, thanks brother!!

sp33d said:

Let's see them pics man.. :)

Will the manual one actually pull the plugs out? I think that's what need to start the soil transformation. Keep forgetting about the pics. 

ColdSmoke said:
Will the manual one actually pull the plugs out? I think that's what need to start the soil transformation. Keep forgetting about the pics.
Yes the manual one pushes the plugs out.. It has two spikes on the bottom that are hollow and as you push the aerater into the ground it forces the plug out through the top as you push it into the ground and so on..

So I decided to not cut today instead gave it a good watering...
deep green color.. . Love it.. :)

Put the neighbors to shame.. :)

DSCN0504.JPG

Couple more pics from mine as of this afternoon. Looking more and more like a swamp the more rain we get. It's going to be interesting keeping our house clean with 2 dogs.
20140908_171058.jpg

20140908_171112.jpg

Back