• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Anyone Else Like Fresh Boiled Crawfish?

I used to bartend for a local cajun restaurant. The owner is the nephew of Paul Prudhomme the legendary chef from Louisianna. I wanna tell you I LOVE mudbugs! He made them by the bushel and they were sooooo good! I am with you AJ, spicy and eat all you can.

AlabamaJack said:
kinda like shrimp...
I eat the lungs, claws, suck the head, then eat the tail...

they sell crawfish around here, so many years ago I bought some to try.
I dont like'em & wasn't impressed about them, too much work for so little food. & to suck that nasty green slime out of the head NO THANKS! I'd rather buy some peeled & deviened shrimp for less than crawfish. thats my experience.

Sickmont said:
Not me....i don't do shellfish. If it walks on the bottom and has claws i'm not interested....

you're missing out them IMO, lobster is KILLER!!!!scallops & shrimp are great too!

AlabamaJack said:
you talking about growing them or cooking them....growing them, no....cooking them yes...

cooking because I believe I can get them every now and then from the grocery store - just depends if they have any in or not.

you cook them kinda like you boil shrimp...

the way I do it is bring my water/spice to a boil...drop the crawfish in, bring back to a rolling boil, turn the heat off and let sit for 10-12 minutes...

if you want potatos and corn on the cob with them, put the potatos and corn in first when you start to boil the water/spice then when it comes to a rolling boil put the crawfish in, bring back to a rolling boil, turn heat off and let sit for 10-12 minutes...

I use Tony Chachere's More Spice blend seasoning and add a little extra cayenne powder to it...

crasfish season is normally February to June depending on where you are and how much you want to pay for them...the ones I had Tuesday were 7.50 a pound...at the height of the season, they are somewhere around 3-4 a pound.....this is already prepared...

when cooking them yourself...make sure they are alive and not on ice or frozen....

chilehunter said:
you're missing out them IMO, lobster is KILLER!!!!scallops & shrimp are great too!

See? Now thats just where it gets weird for me....i love scallops and conch, but i cant STAND the taste of shrimp and not
too fond of lobster either(although i've had it before many times)

krypt said:
yup i love them, you might wanna try and get some bluecrap, they taste really nice hot

I don't care what color it is or how much hot sauce you put on it, I'm not eating crap.

krypt said:
yup i love them, you might wanna try and get some bluecrap, they taste really nice hot

........Ummmm...OK, but what do you eat to get blue crap?

Sickmont said:
See? Now thats just where it gets weird for me....i love scallops and conch, but i cant STAND the taste of shrimp and not
too fond of lobster either(although i've had it before many times)

Yes, you are right. You are wierd!;)

Shrimp is just about my favorite meat after crab. Lobster is great too.

chilehunter said:

CH, I could say the same to you about crawfish but I just let it lay the first time...but came back later to take that stink bait... :lol:

Sickmont said:

AlabamaJacks (on Key Largo) Fried Conch Fritters are to die for SM....if you ever get down there you got to try them... (no affiliation with me)

http://www.alabamajacks.com/

cheezydemon said:
........Ummmm...OK, but what do you eat to get blue crap?

395805.jpg

More like bluish-green crap.....and you drink it, not eat it.....:shocked:

It's true though, don't believe me go chug 3-4 of them, wait a couple hours and report back to me.

Conch fritters........mmmmmmMMMMM!!

Was blue carp the original intent of that post? I don't see how that really related either, but I can get no other meaning from it.

AlabamaJack said:
hey TCG...did you see my post about Pappadeaux?

Yeah, i've been to the papadeaux around here, i live literally less than 3 minutes from it. I did a google search and it looks like there are some good, local cajun food places to check out as well.

I'll report back on my findings.

cheezydemon said:
Conch fritters........mmmmmmMMMMM!!

Was blue carp the original intent of that post? I don't see how that really related either, but I can get no other meaning from it.

it has to be Blue Crab

Blue Crab are the best food from the sea in my opinion...Don't like pickin'then your buying them to small.The ones we prefer you are lucky to fit down a half doz.We even make our own copy of Chesapeake Old Bay Seasoning,of course the origional way with Chesapeake Heirloom Fish Peppers.

Back