• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest April ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've ever used tamarinds before.

I think it's childhood issues. We had a HUGE tamarind tree outside our front door. Many a time I remember picking one up, or more likely stepping on one, and seeing hundreds of carpenter ants spill out of it.

Jamaicans use it in many of their dishes. It would work well with heat.

I'll be out for this next t-down but my suggestion would be an all too popular but not suggested throwdown....BACON! That's right...a BACON THROWDOWN! Could there be an anymore awesometown (thanx mellymel) throwdown than BACON? Fatback. Thick cut. Maple smoked. Canadian bacon. HIckory smoked. Whatever. Just do it. Lemme' say it again....BACON!!!! Any dish but main ingredient BACON!!! Deep fry it for Gawd's sake!

I dunno, I'm not really all that fond of bacon... :liar:

100_0252-1.jpg

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/17840-wheres-the-beef-throwdown/page__st__220

Bacon is always a winner :) The Tapas idea is a good one too :) You could do a tapas or mezze type of thing..

I don't think I've ever used tamarinds before.
Okay, Sum, help me out here.... went to the FM and found some tamarind. Now what????

Edit:
Just tried one raw, with no additives. OMG. The sourness makes a lime seem bland - can't hardly believe I finished the entire thing. Wow. But without looking anything up, the brainiac is starting to think of other things it would be good with.... yes.... that.... definitely..... Ooh - and that......

Do what you want in April.... I'm doing this NOW.

What do you have the fruit pods, seed in or out or is it dried? Fresh fruit is the most versatile. In Lebanon they like to make the fruit into a juice sweetened with some brown sugar. It has a really great kind of sweet/ tart flavor like the cross between. Lemon and an apricot. Cooking I really like to marinade chicken in it for a couple of hours to overnight and then grilled.

Ahhhh And we have another convert! Welcome. Just FYI my wife is part Lebanese. That's where I got to know it.

Full fruit pods from Thailand, so seed in. I am thinking shrimp right now.... no, steak.... no....... well, I can't really think of a meat it wouldn't go with. After sitting a while and having the tartness mellow out, so the real flavor appears, I would more say lime and apricot, with a date-like consistency. And putting some in tequila comes to mind.....

Best use of pepper.

OK here's one. Anything goes, the best use of peppers wins. Chopped jalapenos on top certainly won't. This may be a good one near harvest time though.

Okay, Sum, help me out here.... went to the FM and found some tamarind. Now what????

Edit:
Just tried one raw, with no additives. OMG. The sourness makes a lime seem bland - can't hardly believe I finished the entire thing. Wow. But without looking anything up, the brainiac is starting to think of other things it would be good with.... yes.... that.... definitely..... Ooh - and that......

Do what you want in April.... I'm doing this NOW.

Jump on interweb and google Jamaican recipes with tamarind.

Looks like they turn it into a juice for marinating. And I thought I saw something about a tamarind fritter. Tamarind shrimp fritters would be cool.

Mix yourself a rum and coke and start thinking Caribbean. Pandora "Steel Pulse" and have some fun.

Edit: G, I remember tamarinds tasting sweet with a bit of tartness, not super sour like you describe. I think your tamarinds are still a bit green.

Jump on interweb and google Jamaican recipes with tamarind.

No way, mon.... this is a mad-scientist-in-the-kitchen thing - no google, no cookbooks, just put the old brain to work. Edit: I don't think they're green. Very brown husks. The package did specifically say sour tamarind, so possibly this is the way the variety is.

And THP - agreed. Best use of pepper would be best at harvest time.

Now I'm thinking of Griled Shrimp with a Tamarand Coconut Chutney and a Tamarand Margarita, hum would that be called a Tamarita?

LOL - I was thinking coconut, so we seem to be on the same wave. Part of me is also thinking "plantain" - shrimps, plantain, tamarind, coconut, green onion......

Unfortunately the mad scientisting will have to wait a bit, as I forgot I'm going out to din din with a friend tonight. But tomorrow...... BWAhahahahaha!

Food Truck Food

If you were going to run your own food truck, what would it be? Let's see your creation...

Create a name for your truck, with some artwork.

(I know SoFlo posse would do something crazy, like pics in FD4's minivan with a merkin :lol:)

Best idea wins!

Just brainstorming.

Food Truck Food

If you were going to run your own food truck, what would it be? Let's see your creation...

Create a name for your truck, with some artwork.

(I know SoFlo posse would do something crazy, like pics in FD4's minivan with a merkin :lol:)

Best idea wins!

Just brainstorming.

:rofl:

We'd get ridiculawesome on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back