• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Are Chilli Olives Big in the USA?

Hi 

I've been making chilli infused olives and while I was making my batch for the weekend BBQ I wondered it it's something you guys are using too. I live on a small island in the Atlantic just off North Africa, we don't get out much  :surprised:

Being an avid olive eater- I'd say not so much. One typically runs across pimento stuffed olives for the truly mild 'heat' (if you can even call it that..) to olive mixes that contain more or less of a general/random red chili flake being added alongside other spices with the curing brine. Some selections contain whole red chili's and not just flakes (sort of a Thai type variety), but I have not seen anything specifically 'hot' labeled.

*My olive selection is not huge mind you, perhaps someone from New York or where they have a 'Little Italy' that really has the HUGE selections might could say for certain. Have seen some video's where they have vats of literally dozens upon dozens of varieties..heavenly!* Peppers + olives = made for each other!

I eat a ton of these.

rW77L2B.jpg

portreath said:
Bingo. I like the jalapeno stuffed olive they look epic. I have a Serrano in the garden so I might give that idea a go. I make a chilli dressed chilli for me and the wife, and we get through a tonne of the things. The chilli chocolate truffle was the wife's idea, tasty too, the kids can't get enough of them.

http://fuertefire.com/chilli-starters-and-desserts
Very nice!! :) thanks for the link! Will be giving both a try at home!!! :)

Thanks for the inspiration guys. I thought I give you ideas a good this afternoon. I've good olives in good olive oil some stuffed with Garlic and Some with slices of Serrano. So I guess we will be testing these later this evening after they have marinaded for a while, oh I forgot to tell the wife that I spiked a couple of olives with a Thai Demon, a kind of Russian roulette of appitisers :-)

The best olives to me are packed in oil not water, that tasteless waterlogged mush is horrid. So I'd definitely go the route of the stuffed olive, and not the "pickled" in brine and peppers. Those will be hot mush. Love olives!

portreath said:
Hi 

I've been making chilli infused olives and while I was making my batch for the weekend BBQ I wondered it it's something you guys are using too. I live on a small island in the Atlantic just off North Africa, we don't get out much  :surprised:
In Australia we love our olives, I get a 5 gallon bucket's worth from the folks trees every couple of years. Chilli, rosemary, garlic, lemon rind and thyme in olive oil is a winner.

Back