• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Burger Royale Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
tctenten said:
Feel better.  Looks like you may need stitches from that pic.   
Just drinking some Victory Summer Love instead - I won't bleed out or at least hope not hahahaha - ok cook some epic burgers all!

Bout to start prepping 20 pounds of wings I am going to jerk in the AM for the party!

Just drinking some Victory Summer Love instead - I won't bleed out or at least hope not hahahaha - ok cook some epic burgers all!

Bout to start prepping 20 pounds of wings I am going to jerk in the AM for the party!

styptic pencil ftw ...

boy does it smart, though ...

Bread and sauce part is ok.
I didn't even planned to make a sauce. Wathever...

So i thought going to sleep early to cook relaxed...
At 3am i went to bed, i checked dough:

Holy hell! Like tripled volume... 7 hours and 4 grams per kg. Maybe i understimated temperature... That is a proof  that recipes that uses 25g on 500g are wrong..

That at 9am, it started to reduce...

Balls

And that for sauce. Since i had to lose that hour and half before cooking...

Discarded much garlic unfortunately...
Pepper is a chocolate moruga (2/3 of).

Roughly cut

Blend with evo and a bit of salt...
That really tastes of garlic lol.

Cooking 2 at 250°C for 15 mins... Not much but probably i'm going to cook a bit more later.
Right one has an awful strecthin, still it should be usable.
I massaged upper part with water before cooking.
Looks really good btw, especially color. Bottom part is cooked like upper one.

Damn, overcooked on top, won't use that btw.

Still no plans, i'll see at market.

bread prep.

I used the same recipe from last week, in a slightly different way. This appears to have been enough to change the end result a bit. Luckily I poured some extra dough into a muffin cup just to see what happened. In this case, this turned out to be the best bubbling one. 

you can bump if you want. I'll be back later this morning to post entry. Have to leave the house.  

Mini Beef Burgers with Roasted Chili Relish and Pickled Onions

I've never made sliders before. I reused the brioche recipe from last week, and changed up the beef composition ratio slightly. This burger featured Monterey Jack cheese, ancho/Anaheim peppers, and pickled onions. The burgers were handled as little as possible from the store to the cast iron, and I used a cookie cutter to shape the burgers. I would not recommend using cast iron to cook burgers at around 12am-1am in the morning-as you might set off your smoke detector and have the alarm company call you while you are trying to cook. haha. Anyways, the burger was interesting to make.

Ingredient List

ADY
bread flour
AP flour
sugar
water
salt
butter
egg
milk
sesame seeds
red onion
lime
Anaheim chile
Ancho chile
ground beef 85/15
extra virgin olive oil
fresh scallion
fresh oregano
fresh cilantro
fresh arugula
Monterey Jack cheese

To make home-made Brioche buns:

1.           In a mixing bowl, combine one cup warm water, 1 ½ tablespoons warm milk, 1 teaspoon ADY, and ¾ tablespoon sugar. Let stand five minutes.
2.           In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 ½ cups bread flour, 1/9 cup AP flour (approx.), and a bit of salt.
3.           Soften about ¾ tablespoon of butter, and add to flour mixture. Stir well.
4.           Beat one egg, and add to flour mixture.
5.           Pour in yeast mixture, and stir well.
6.           Using a bowl scraper, scoop dough into a ball.
7.           Add some bread flour to the mixture, as it will be somewhat sticky. Add just enough to keep it sticky. The amount of flour you add may change how the dough stabilizes. Not quite certain. It did something different this week.5
8.           Knead the dough with your fingers for 8 minutes. Use the bowl scraper to reshape into a ball.
9.           Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for an hour or more.
10.         When ready, line a cookie sheet with a reusable baker’s parchment. Use a dough scraper to divide the dough into appropriate sized pieces. Roll pieces into a rough ball, and place on baker’s parchment.
11.         Coat a sheet of saran wrap well with cooking spray. Cover buns very lightly with saran wrap, and let rise for another hour in a warm place.
12.         When ready cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
13.         Beat an egg with a tablespoon of water, and coat top of buns with mixture. Top with desired amount of sesame seeds, and carefully drain off excess egg mixture around buns.
14.         Place a casserole dish full of water on the bottom rack of large oven, and place cookie sheet containing buns on middle rack. Cook for 15-25 minutes, until tops are lightly browned. Check frequently after 15 minutes.
15.         Remove buns from oven to cool, and slice apart buns. They should not stick to parchment much.

To make Chile Relish:

1.           Rehydrate some Ancho chiles about 1/2 hour or so in advance. Do this by de-stemming and de-seeding the ancho, slicing lengthwise, and toasting the dry chile in a pan for a few minutes.
2.           Heat some water, and pour into a bowl. Drop in the Ancho chiles, and let them soak for 1/2 hour.
3.           Toast some whole Anaheim peppers on an open flame. Let them brown and spot a bit. Remove them from heat and de-stem/deseed.
4.           Slice anaheim and anchos when ready into small strips. Set aside.
5.           In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, the white and light green part of a scallion in pieces, one teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, a few cilantro leaves in small pieces, and some salt.
6.           Pour this mixture over the sliced peppers and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

To make pickled onions:

1.           Slice a red onion.  Add the juice of two limes and a bit of salt to a metal bowl. Mix well. Cover and let sit for a few hours.

To make burger:

1.           Buy some 85/15 beef. Try to handle it as little as possible. Use a small cookie cutter to section out the beef. Trim off the edges and shake out burgers onto a plate carefully.
2.           Heat a cast iron skillet (with as many windows open as possible unless you want to set off your smoke alarm!) on high heat.
3.           Season burgers with salt, and place in cast iron for 1 1/2 minutes. Flip over and immediately add cheese. Cook for another 1 1/2 minutes.
4.           Remove from heat.
5.           When ready to serve, toast your burger buns.
6.           Add some fresh arugula on the bottom bun. Top with burger, then Chile relish, and then pickled onions. Serve.

I'm drunk and just had an idea come to me, If I remember tomorrow I'm in

You don't email yourself in that scenario?
That looks good, KBK. I can tell how juicy it was ... and it's really the juicy one's that rock, regardless of color (which is also pretty spot on).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back