• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Cinco de Mole Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice KK. I haven't read it all yet but, your ingredients and the finished color are spot on! I am really glad you entered this one!

SL... :woohoo: :beer: :drunk:

salsalady said:
:rolleyes:  Boss Boss Boss~~~  :lol:

Read the steps posted- "Add the set aside chicken to the mole, then spoon over chicken pieces".  How can you add the set aside pieces to the mole then spoon the chicken mole over the chicken?  Is there More chicken to spoon the mole with chicken over?   

It's no biggie, just want KBK to have clear directions.  it's all good~

LOL why are you quoting him wrong?

"Add the chicken you set aside earlier and cook for 15 minutes. Salt well. Spoon sauce over chicken pieces."

It's clear as day.

Re-wine? :lol:

Yes, I definitely need to re-wine a couple times.  Then I'm sure it will make sense. :drink:

In the mean time- here's my contribution to the Mole Thread!

PoL-
Lucy 5 cents.png

Appetizers-
IMG_2542.JPG

Some more of those oxymoronic Jumbo Shrimp
IMG_2544.JPG

I really slaved away over this cocktail sauce-
Ketchup, horseradish and a forked lemon
IMG_2545.JPG

PICO!!!
IMG_2546.JPG

My Work Here Is Done!
IMG_2548.JPG

!OLE!

keybrdkid said:
maybe, or it may be just a venus-v-mars thing-

It's really not an issue, cuz the recipe is pretty self explanatory...except I still don't get how to add chicken to the sauce and then spoon sauce over chicken pieces. 
"Add the chicken you made earlier (which you strained the broth from and perhaps discarded the extra ingredients from as I chose to do) and let cook for 15 minutes. Salt well. Spoon sauce over chicken pieces. "

Really...it's irrelevant...and just a side discussion that has nothing to do with the great Mole that KBK did.   Scovie and I were talking about that this evening.  A very complex sauce.  Well done, amigo!

We had an enjoyable evening with CJ and Scovie.  Discovered a cinnamon tequila that was a NICE after dinner aperitif...MMMmmmmmm~~~~

Appetizer Stage 2-
IMG_2551.JPG

Re-LIME!!!
IMG_2552.JPG

jalapeno-cream cheese egg roll apps with "dipping sauce" (which, after reviewing the ingredients, we all agreed it was a peach-jalapeno SALSA!)   I'll let CJ post the specifics on this as she did it up good~
IMG_2553.JPG

doh. now I see what you were getting at Salsa lady. maybe I should read the posts again before I think I fixed things.

haha I think I corrected the second part now. hopefully it makes more sense.

[SIZE=medium]7.           Add the chicken you made earlier (which you strained the broth from and perhaps discarded the extra ingredients from as I chose to do) and let cook for 15 minutes. Salt well. When ready to plate, I used a spoon to pick out the chicken with holes that drained the sauce out back into pan. Thus, when the chicken pieces are placed on the plate, then use another better utensil to drizzle sauce remaining in pan over plated chicken pieces. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]oh and pay no attention to the funny colored parsley in the plating picks..I may have moved the parsley around a bit when I was taking photos. some of the sauce may have stuck.. I didn't notice that until now. heh.[/SIZE]

You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin',
I'm gonna send you back to schoolin',
Way down inside honey, you need it,
I'm gonna give you my love,
I'm gonna give you my love.

[Chorus]
Wanna Whole Lotta Love [X4]

You've been learnin', baby, I've been yearnin',
All them good times, baby, baby, I've been yearnin',
Way, way down inside honey, you need it,
I'm gonna give you my love... I'm gonna give you my love.

[Chorus]

You've been coolin', baby, I've been droolin',
All the good times I've been misusin',
Way, way down inside, I'm gonna give you my love,
I'm gonna give you every inch of my love,
Gonna give you my love.

[Chorus]

Way down inside... woman... You need... love.

Shake for me, girl. I wanna be your backdoor man.
Keep it coolin', baby.

LOne pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she’s ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell them a hookah smoking caterpillar has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

When the men on the chess board
get up and tell you where to go
And you just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving slow
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the white knight is talking backwards

Ive been really looking forward to this..... (1) because it isnt a mayo throwdown.... (2) for someone who has never eaten or cooked mole, this has been on my to do list for some time now..... KK's and Scovies look incredible.....

.... here are my ingredients and pol 5c....

2014-05-03174054_zpse352e474.jpg

Tinnie's Primo Mole Verde

Ingredients-

Stock

1kg Pork Neck (cut into chunks)
1/2 white onion
2-3 small bay leaves
2 cloves garlic
salt

Nuts

3T seaseme seeds
1/2 cup almonds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
(2 cups stock)

Green sauce

6 green onions
400g tin tomatillos
1 bunch corriander
1 jalapeno
1 green finger chilli
1 green bullhorn chilli
2 cloves of garlic
1/2t cumin
1/4t cinnamon
(2 cups stock)

Method-

* Place cut pork neck in pot with other stock ingredients, cover with cold water, bring to boil.... reduce temp and keep on a low simmer for 1 and 1/2 hours. Set aside pork and save stock.
* Dry toast seeds/nuts in batches to ensure even roasting, blend all toasted seeds/nuts with 2 cups of leftover pork stock in blender, set aside.
* Add all Green Sauce ingredients to blender with 2 cups of stock and blitz till smooth.
* Add seed/nut paste to a dry pan and cook out for a few minutes.
* Add green sauce, bring to heat and add pork. Heat through stirring for about 15 mins.
* serve with red rice (arroz rojo), avocado and lemon.

2014-05-04191337_zps06db49d9.jpg

Tinnie said:
Ive been really looking forward to this..... (1) because it isnt a mayo throwdown.... (2) for someone who has never eaten or cooked mole, this has been on my to do list for some time now..... KK's and Scovies look incredible.....

.... here are my ingredients and pol 5c....
Glad to sse you Tinnie!
Sounds good but i don't see pics (and pretty sure about that, tried with 2 browsers and 2 pcs an url doesn't open).

Btw i'm doing pizza again today, so no TD (and i don't have ingredients).

KK stuff looks really really tasty!

Agree - Tinnie, I also can't see your pics. There's a post pinned at the top of the support page regarding how to post pics if you need help.

Thx Essegi!..... but i was really looking forward to your entry.... i saw you mention a problem with ingredients... but you always seems to whip up some off the edge alternative....

.......i dont understand why you cant see the pics :( im on firefox and can see them.... i even logged out to make sure..... if anyone else has the same problem let me know and i'll try and fix it tomorrow....; cheers

cheers geeme i'll check it out
......i hope that edit has worked..... once again it does work on my screen.... thx for the heads up though guys.... i cant mess around with it any more 2nite.... very early start 2moro and i need me shut eye

Tinnie said:
Thx Essegi!..... but i was really looking forward to your entry.... i saw you mention a problem with ingredients... but you always seems to whip up some off the edge alternative....

.......i dont understand why you cant see the pics :( im on firefox and can see them.... i even logged out to make sure..... if anyone else has the same problem let me know and i'll try and fix it tomorrow....; cheers

cheers geeme i'll check it out

......i hope that edit has worked..... once again it does work on my screen.... thx for the heads up though guys.... i cant mess around with it any more 2nite.... very early start 2moro and i need me shut eye
Thanks, pizza prevailed that time! :D
Now i see pictures (and look goood!), just 2, before i saw it didn't display 4, hope it's correct. :D

salsalady said:
maybe, or it may be just a venus-v-mars thing-

It's really not an issue, cuz the recipe is pretty self explanatory...except I still don't get how to add chicken to the sauce and then spoon sauce over chicken pieces. 
"Add the chicken you made earlier (which you strained the broth from and perhaps discarded the extra ingredients from as I chose to do) and let cook for 15 minutes. Salt well. Spoon sauce over chicken pieces. "

Really...it's irrelevant...and just a side discussion that has nothing to do with the great Mole that KBK did.   Scovie and I were talking about that this evening.  A very complex sauce.  Well done, amigo!
keybrdkid said:
doh. now I see what you were getting at Salsa lady. maybe I should read the posts again before I think I fixed things.

haha I think I corrected the second part now. hopefully it makes more sense.

7.           Add the chicken you made earlier (which you strained the broth from and perhaps discarded the extra ingredients from as I chose to do) and let cook for 15 minutes. Salt well. When ready to plate, I used a spoon to pick out the chicken with holes that drained the sauce out back into pan. Thus, when the chicken pieces are placed on the plate, then use another better utensil to drizzle sauce remaining in pan over plated chicken pieces.
Ahahahahaha. All this because SL didn't know spoon could be a verb. Hilarity!!!!!!!! "then use another better utensil to drizzle" Ahahahahahahaha! I can't take it!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

PAVO EN MOLE POBLANO

L[SIZE=10pt]egend tells that, centuries ago in the town of Puebla, sisters at a local convent expected a visit by an important dignitary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Desperate for a dish worthy of their guest, they invented this complex sauce for fowl. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Acclaimed for it’s wonderful flavor then, mole poblano [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]remains the pride of Puebla today. [/SIZE]

Ingredients:
• 1 Full Turkey Breast
• 1 Large White Onion
• 2 Garlic Cloves
• 8 Cups Chicken Stock

4-6 of each dried Chiles:
• Pasilla Ancho
• Pasilla Negro
• California
• New Mexico
• Habanero

• 25 Blanched Almonds
• 1 Small Green Tipped Banana
• 2 TBS Raisins
• 2 TBS Sesame Seeds
• 2 TBS Pine Nuts
• ½ tsp Cinnamon
• 2 Toasted/Dried Corn Tortillas (for thickener)
• 1 Stick Butter
• 3 oz. IBARA Mexican Chocolate

Serve with Mexican Rice, Black Refried Beans, Corn and/or Flour Tortillas and Tequila.

I changed this recipe up a little bit from my typical "Pollo en Mole Poblano" by lightly smoking a turkey breast.

Turkey Breast:
Brine:
• ¾ gallon cold water
• 1 quart ice (to get the brine temperature to 39º F or below)
• 1 C. Kosher Salt
• ½ C. Scovie (chile) Powder
• 3 TBS Red Savina Powder
• ½ of above White Onion cut into chunks
• Garlic Salt
Add Salt to the water and dissolve completely add other ingredients and Turkey breast and let sit in the fridge for 24 hours.
Get the smoker up to 225º F and place Turkey breast in the smoker. 1 hr of heavy smoke with Apple wood from Salsa Lady's orchard. keep in smoker for 4-5 hours or until it reaches 162º F. When it hits 162º, wrap tightly in foil and a towel, then place in a small cooler for 1 hour. Once it has rested, pull apart and add to sauce...

Mole Sauce:

Add ½ White Onion and 2 Garlic Cloves to Chicken stock and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until Onions are opaque, strain and discard onions, set aside.
Toast dried Chiles and 2 Corn Tortillas in 235º oven until chiles are toasted (about 15 minutes) Tortillas need longer.
Toast Pine Nuts and Sesame Seed in a hot pan until golden brown.
In a blender (I use a NINJA) add Banana cut into chunks, Blanched Almonds, Raisins, Toasted Sesame Seeds and Pine Nuts, Cinnamon, and toasted Chiles. Set that blender to "BLAST" for a good 5 minutes. 

In a large pan or stock pot, add Butter and chocolate and with a HHwhisk, combine once melted. Add sauce to pan and with remaining Chicken stock, add to blender with toasted tortillas, to "rinse" the blender and pour into sauce pan. Now it's time to cook the sauce. HHwhisking constantly, bring to a light boil and continue hhwisking (hard to not add a "y" in there LOL) for 5-10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for ½ - 1 hour.

"Pull" the Turkey and add to sauce and simmer for a few minutes. Serve. Enjoy.
- Note: I posted the turkey drizzled with sauce for pictures only. It shows off the sauce better than the "turkey-simmered-in sauce".

View attachment 10761

View attachment 10760

View attachment 10759

My riff on a "Mexican Drink"...
I call it a Pendejo, and I know to some, that word may be offensive, but to me it translates to "idiot" or "stupid". No offense intended.
I posted this recipe a million times before but, here we go again! #worthit

The Pendejo:
(Recipe is for 1 drink... I was making four at a time. :woohoo: )
• ½ Fresh Jalapeño
• ½ Fresh Lime
• 2 oz. Silver Tequila
• 2 drops Agave Nectar (thank you SL for that brilliance!)
Cut Peño and lime into chunks, add to shaker with Agave, and muddle the mierda out of it. Add Tequila with a few ice cubes and shake well. Strain into frozen glasses and put your seat-belt on!

View attachment 10762

Bump Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back