• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Curry Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, on this one, unlike others, please list ingredient measurements. Since it's curry from scratch I feel this is important and will also help your votes!

Yer damm right! If Imonna shoe some powders on a plate...
It only makes sense that y'all gimme some Tim Curry love...

(Ann Curry talks too damm much)

Hi Boss! :welcome:

just another Scovie Friday... he he e hee

Indirectly, this is why. When I initially more-or-less settled on a dish, I was thinking something with garam masala. But in my revised idea, 'mixed' spice mixture now means its going to be maybe mixed in the pan, and/or mixed into the mixture. I could mix the dry ingredients together and call it a mixture if you want. that's about as close as i think I can get right now.

It doesnt have paprika, fennel, fenugreek, black cardamom, star anise, or what have you-although I saw all those ingredients today in the store. So curry or no, its in the process of being made. If it qualifies great. if not, great.

Yes using already made curry powders is a DQ. :(

Unless I misunderstood.

Garam masala is the most basic of curry powders, and you would need to mix your own together. As stated awhile back with enough time to shop.

actually there is no curry powder in a bottle or package.

I guess I should mention that this is not an original dish, but more a recipe I ran across in my research.

The dish is Masala Dosas. Apparently it is eaten as a breakfast dish with chutneys, like coconut chutney. However, since I couldn't afford to make the chutneys, and that would have been a side of sorts anyways maybe, I am just going to make an attempt at preparing the masala dosa part.

I managed to locate the uraddal and the black mustard seeds.

If I get the curry leaves, I should be good to go. The rice and uraddal are already soaking in water. This has to be done overnight.

My spice 'mixture' (the spices called for in the recipe that will at some point be combined in the overall cooking process) would contain urad dal, black mustard seeds, turmeric initially. Then later salt, turmeric, and chili(s). Some other ingredients not dry like ginger, curry leaves, and onion as well are called for.

Sounds fine! Do it.

I didn't understand your post. You mean it was bending the rules because it was mixed in the pan, not mixed in a bowl first and added? Does not matter! Just make sure to list the individual ingredients that made up the curry.

And don;t get all mixed up¡¡¡¡

And don't LISTEN TO ME¡!!!!!

I am Scovie (very nice to meet you).... DO YOUR THANG!!!!!

Damnit...Jamaican Ass-Blaster curry from hell on the grill tomorrow...​

Already got the spice mix in mind...gonna blow this beeotch out. Marinade set...in the fridge.​

Tomorrow's grillin' session, Psych style.

Jerk Chicken?

You know that's right...

*Complete with my home made jerk marinade of Jamaican Yellow Lanterns, Congo Blacks, Red Savinas, and Caribbean Reds. A little Grace brand Scotch Bonnet sauce on top? I heard that. Homemade curry dry mix while grilling...again...you know that's right.

Sounds fine! Do it.

I didn't understand your post. You mean it was bending the rules because it was mixed in the pan, not mixed in a bowl first and added? Does not matter! Just make sure to list the individual ingredients that made up the curry.

my dish has no meat, or real large quantities of liquid, so offhandedly my dish would probably be in the 'curried category.' But further still, had to ask: what is a curry? needed to re-check wikipedia haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry

It says that some of the ingredients that I'm using are used in curry powders. So I guess if I use what I need to, since curry powder recipes seem to not be standardized, it sort of works. Maybe minus the 'most curry powders have these' items. hehe.

problem solved.

And yes, it will be 'mixed' in the pan. at some point I believe ;D.

Got my curry leaves, so here's .85. going to work on the urad dal and rice a bit now (it has to sit for a while again.) crosses fingers that I'll have enough time before the deadline to get this done... :D. Not sure if i'm going to use all the chilis pictured, since I dehydrated them overnight, and the recipe probably wanted fresh green chiles. But I probably will mix 7 Pod, Thai chilis, and for no particular reason serranos in some fashion to make chili powders/flakes. Also other ingredients may be used in quantities as needed.

MarchTD1_zpsa38d6761.jpg

MarchTD2_zpscc870959.jpg

MarchTD3_zpsaea29ce5.jpg

Garam Masala is an easy spice mixture to do. I make mine out of stick cinnamon, clove, black peppercorns, cumin seeds and cardamom seeds after stripping them out of the pods. to intensify the taste of the cumin, I dry fry it until it becomes aromatic and cool to room temperature before grinding together with the rest of the spices. Some folks like to mellow the Garam mixture by adding a little coriander seed before the grind, but I don't.
SANY0576_zpse0f95672.jpg

You only get a couple tablespoons of garam masala out of this, but it goes stale if you make too much of it at a time. It stores better as whole spices, and you just grind what you need at the time.

Making your own Garam Masala and Curry powder/paste takes an investment. I happen to have most of the spices needed, but if you are starting from scratch, you will spend $50 easy just on spices for this throwdown. Anyone buy Cardamom seeds lately? Now I am off to my last hope of finding the elusive fenugreek seeds...

Making your own Garam Masala and Curry powder/paste takes an investment.
Hmmm..... How is it that anyone who posts in the food threads doesn't have an entire cabinet devoted to a huge assortment of spices already??? First time I made Garam Masala, I only had to purchase one spice. Not bragging, just saying it seems like people who really like variety in their food should generally already have this covered without making a huge one-time investment for this TD.

First dish of the trifecta... Coconut Rice
SANY0580_zps2428c829.jpg

Heat mustard oil until it smokes, turn off the heat and let it go back to room temperature.
SANY0581_zps7ae23db0.jpg

That done, re-heat on medium with the raw rice. Coat the grains of rice with the hot oil.
SANY0582_zpsb25554fa.jpg

and add 50/50 coconut milk and water.
SANY0583_zpsddae2a23.jpg

Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer over the lowest heat possible until rice is done. Fluff with a fork.
SANY0586_zps988305fa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back