• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Curry Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Making your own Garam Masala and Curry powder/paste takes an investment. I happen to have most of the spices needed, but if you are starting from scratch, you will spend $50 easy just on spices for this throwdown. Anyone buy Cardamom seeds lately? Now I am off to my last hope of finding the elusive fenugreek seeds...

Dammit! I could have sent you some Fenugreek to repay the favor you did for Darth.
Now I just found out we are out of Tumeric! Back to Glover Street Market....

http://www.gloverstreetmarket.com/

I really hope my idea works. Ran it by hubby last night he said to give it a whirl........... We'll see. Gotta check out our spice inventory and see whats up.

I'm happy to see the buzz in this TD. Can't wait to see all the homemade curries made with y'all's crazy superhots!

Have I mentioned. I dislike curry and I dislike the smell even more????? I made a vow to myself this year though. Hopefully I can keep it.

All curries are different and most smell amazing and aromatic! The generic curry powder is heavy on the tumeric and cumin and cheap on the exotic spices, and also most curries use FRESH ingredients like ginger, kafir lime leaf, lemongrass etc.

Curry is not that little packet in the spice aisle. That's why we're doing this. :)

I gotta go to the Hippy/Lycra/Birkenstock/Patchouli store for Tumeric, then Hank's for MOAR HHHWISKEY!

(you did say you are "happy seeing the buzz" right THP?)

I know there are many out there but I am the person you take to a chinese restaurant and I order sweet and sour chicken or pork and some kind of cashew or almond chicken. I do like Thai but it needs to be sorta sweet. I LOVE TERYAKI though, could eat that all day. I think most have learned I like sweet stuff. Spice occasionaly. Not much while pregnant. Anywho hubby and I are complete opposite he likes spicy crap and I like sweet crap. He doesn't like desserts and I love them. I don't like Sushi at all and he could probably eat it everyday.

The second leg of the trifecta... veggies!

Cranberry/Apricot/Ginger chutney... Dissolve the white sugar or jaggery in water, add a package of cranberries, snipped dried apricots, minced ginger, cider vinegar and brown sugar and cook until the berries pop.
SANY0587_zpsca3f068d.jpg
SANY0588-1_zpsbb21968a.jpg

Eggplant Bharta...
SANY0590_zpsbed2e40c.jpg

smoke roast or broil a whole eggplant. When the skin of the eggplant is blackened and blistered on all sides, scoop out the pulp and coarsely chop. Coarsely chop an onion, 2 cloves of garlic and a 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root and process into a smooth paste with 3 tablespoons of water. Fry the paste in vegetable oil with a half teaspoon of turmeric...
SANY0591_zps919124b7.jpg

add chopped cilantro and green chiles and fry some more...
SANY0592_zpsf79686c3.jpg

add tomatoes and fry some more...
SANY0593_zps3895fdea.jpg

Add the chopped eggplant, garam masala, lemon juice and salt, and simmer 10 minutes. Check seasonings.
SANY0594_zps23324690.jpg

HH81,

I guarantee you'd like my favorite curry, it's called "beef rendang" and the best description is West Sumatra Caramalized Beef Curry. You stew the beef all day in coconut milk and exotic spices until it becomes a paste and caramelizes on the beef, for a drier curry. And if you eat it with coconut rice BOOM!

Authentic to Indonesia and Malaysia.

If ANYNONE attempts this and THPs it up with fire I can almost guarantee a vote.

beef-rendang.jpg

:lol: "JayTing" is welcome in this TD!
Good cuz otherwise I'd be :censored: without JayTing for this.

I think I have revamped my first idea, I liked the sound of that beef so after JayTing I think I may take a stab at something like it just a litle different spin though. Still don't want to share exactly whats up my sleeve though. Everyone will see tomorrow :)

Stickman your dish is lookin good BTW!

Hey Summer Boy..... are you in????????????????

Unless something very unusual happens, I'm in. Preparing the kitchen for the awesomeness now. Going through my spice list and seeing what's in my cabinet. [My spice cabinet is the biggest one in my kitchen. Can I get an Amen, Scovie?] Hoping to get all the ingredients this evening. I'm hoping it's not much. If I find everything this evening, tonight might be pretty nuts. If not, then it's gonna be a mad dash for the finish tomorrow with a last minute entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back