• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Curry Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay T's Bricklayer's Phaal Curry

Phaal (or Phall) Curry is an English/UK adaption of an Indian curry dish. It is considered my most to be the hottest curry dish of them all. Some speculate the the name Phall comes from Phallus because of men showing each other up by eating it. It has also been made famous by Brick Lane Curry House in NYC. This is my version. I am guessing that it is a bit hotter than the Brick Lane version.

Ingredients:

Ghee (clarified butter) 3 Tbs
Chicken Breast cubed 1 1/4lbs
Onion finely chopped 2 cups
Garlic minced 3 Tbs
Fresh Ginger Root a 4" by 1" piece finely chopped
Ground Fennel 1 tsp
Ground Cayenne 1 Tbs
Curry Powder (cumin powder 1 1/4 tsp, coriander powder 1 tsp, tumeric 1/2 tsp, fenugreek powder 1/2 tsp six arbol chiles and one bhut ground)
Garam Masala (two bay leaves, one star anise, cinnamon 1/2 tsp, ground clove 1/2 tsp, black pepper 1/2 tsp, ground cardamom 1/2 tsp)
Water 1/4 cup
Large can tomato puree
Chiles (three jalapenos, one habanero, three fatalii, one Douglah, two Bhuts)

Directions:

Heat Ghee in the bottom of a heavy bottom pan over medium high heat, add onions cook five minutes, add garlic and ginger, cook one minute, add chicken cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, garam masala, fennel powder, cayenne, and cook one minute. Add water and cook about eight minutes until the water is gone and there is a thick paste. Add the tomatoes and chiles, lower heat and simmer for about twenty minutes. If you need to, add a little water if it gets too thick. Serve over three cups of jasmine rice and garnish with cilantro. Be prepared for quite a ride. This is an amazingly fragrant, spicy meal. Adding the chiles that I did takes it over the top!

100_1375.JPG

100_1377.JPG

Megamoo's Curried Love

I've had far too many Indian style curries lately so I thought I'd do a Thai one.

Also just got a new camera, (second hand) so I took lots of pictures for this TD :D

Didn't end up using everything here but most of it.
Curry_0426_zps81ac2477.jpg

..plus these.
Curry_0429_zpsa7517b70.jpg

Use sake to induce a sensual Asian mood.

First up is the Thai Red Curry Paste

2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp black peppercorns
½ tsp salt
2 tbs dried red chilli flakes
1 tsp grated galagal
1 stalk of lemongrass
rind of a lime
4 coriander roots diced
2 shallots diced
4 cloves garlic
1 Dorset Naga
a dash of peanut oil

Roast the cumin and coriander seeds and peppercorns, then grind to a powder.
Curry_0434_zps3e34d8a3.jpg

Curry_0437_zps9beeb6c8.jpg

Curry_0444_zps370c7ff2.jpg

Add everything else and pound to a paste... then mix in some peanut oil.
Curry_0449_zps8fbef946.jpg

Curry_0454_zpsd913b42f.jpg

I have it on good authority that if you use a mortar and pestle it infuses the food with love.

Next is Steamed Curry Dumplings

1 cup ground pork
3 sprigs of cilantro, leaves and stalks
3 cloves garlic crushed
2 shallots finely diced
1 tbs tapioca starch
1 tbs palm sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
¾ tsp sesame oil
3 tsp sugar
2 tbs red curry paste
+Sesame seeds to garnish

Curry_0462_zps2aa3c5ea.jpg

Squish everything together in a bowl.
Curry_0469_zps00417ce7.jpg

Using bare hands gives your food a `getting to second base` feeling.

need a bump for more.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lookin' guuuuuuuuuuuuuud!

Place small ball of mixture onto wonton wrappers, get the edge wet, then pinch and fold it up.
Curry_0475_zps104511f5.jpg

Curry_0476_zps044d0226.jpg

Keep those fingers working
Curry_0480_zps79e19171.jpg

till things get steamy
Curry_0499_zpsf58dec6e.jpg

I'm using the traditional George Foreman Steamer. ... just checked, and it is in fact made in China. ;)

The Dipping Sauce is very simple but tastes amazing.

½ cup rice wine vingar
½ cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbs freshly grated ginger
1 green onion finely chopped
1 Dorset Naga finely sliced.

Now for the main course. Thai Red Chicken Curry

3 cloves of garlic crushed
thumb sized piece of ginger grated
½ cup red curry paste
900ml coconut cream
1 baby eggplant sliced
10 snake beans sliced
6 kaffir lime leaves torn
250g fresh pineapple pieces
3 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs grated palm sugar
150ml water
2 chicken breasts sliced thinly
200g grape tomatoes
¾ cup thai Basil leaves and the rind of a Lime to garnish
Jasmine rice to serve

Heat half the coconut cream with the curry paste
Curry_0486_zpsfb116c64.jpg

then add the rest of the coco cream, eggplant beans, lime leaves, pineapple, sauces, sugar and water. boil and simmer for 5 minutes
Curry_0497_zps5ac4fcb0.jpg

Then add chicken, tomatoes and get her so hot shes good enough to eat ;)
Curry_0506_zps32a2d8cd.jpg

Doc's Jamaican Wings

I was looking all over the intranets for some starting point for a Curry Sauce. I know Curry like a fish knows a bicycle. I decided on Jamaican, but still, every recipe took me to cooks.com or ehow.com or food network.com. I found a basic recipe, and I had a brilliant idea... Call a restaurant in Jamaica!
So I went to the Jamaican White pages, and like throwing a dart picked a place called "Chicken Lavish" in West End Negril, Westmoreland Jamaica. Wow. The nicest man answered the phone with a very deep voice and thick Jamaican accent. Very wise sounding. I explained what I was looking for and did not want to ask for his recipe. It took him a minute or two to wrap his mind around what was happening.

I told him I was doing a cooking competition and told him the list of ingredients I had. Then he was all in! He told me what, how, who, and where about curry. He even told me that if I ever come down there, he would take me into his kitchen and cook curry with me! We wrapped for a while, and my mind was blown. WHAT an experience. His name is Joseph but everyone calls him "Doc". I improvised this dish by using wings and smoking them. He is famous for his Curried Goat.
After we hung up, I researched Chicken Lavish. As it turns out, he is famous in those parts as being the "nicest man in the world". He has been cooking there since the 1960's.

Doc, you made my year and this is for you!

Curry Powder: (all toasted in a frying pan)
• 1 Tbs Whole Allspice
• 1 Tbs Whole Fenugreek
• 2 Tbs Whole Cumin
• 2 Tbs Whole Mustard Seed
• 2 Tbs Whole Anise
• 5 Tbs Turmeric
• 1/4 C. Whole Coriander Seeds
• 1 Tbs. Red Savina Powder

Other Ingredients:
• 30 Chicken Wing Pieces
• 1 Whole Onion
• 5 Garlic Cloves
• 2 Tomatoes
• 1 Sweet Potato
• Peanut Oil

Dipping Sauce:
• Sour Cream
• Lime Zest
• Fresh Lime Juice
• Garlic Powder

For Curry Sauce, 3 Cups Chicken Broth, combined with 5 Tbs of Curry Powder, Onion, Garlic, & Tomatoes.
Simmered for 2 hours, then Motor-boated (stick blender).

Lightly Smoked the Chicken Wings with Cherry wood chips, for about 45 minutes, then put in a single layer in the CI "Hearse".
Poured Curry Sauce over the wings, and covered with foil. Baked in the oven at 300º for 1-1/2 hours.
Served on a bed of Deep Fried Shoestring Sweet Potato Fries.

Delishuss...

View attachment 4228

View attachment 4229

Megamoo's Red Thai Curried Love

Thai Red Curry Paste

2 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp black peppercorns
½ tsp salt
2 tbs dried red chilli flakes
1 tsp grated galagal
1 stalk of lemongrass
rind of a lime
4 coriander roots diced
2 shallots diced
4 cloves garlic
1 Dorset Naga
a dash of peanut oil

Roast the cumin and coriander seeds and peppercorns, then grind to a powder.
Add everything else and pound to a paste... then add peanut oil.

Steamed Curry Dumplings

1 cup ground pork
3 sprigs of cilantro, leaves and stalks
3 cloves garlic crushed
2 shallots finely diced
1 tbs tapioca starch
1 tbs palm sugar
2 tsp soy sauce
¾ tsp sesame oil
3 tsp sugar
2 tbs red curry paste
+Sesame seeds to garnish

Squish everything together in a bowl.
Place small ball of mixture onto wonton wrappers, get the edge wet then pinch and fold it up.
Steam for 15 minutes.

Dipping Sauce

½ cup rice wine vingar
½ cup soy sauce
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbs freshly grated ginger
1 green onion finely chopped
1 Dorset Naga finely sliced.

Mix it all together in a bowl.

Thai Red Chicken Curry

3 cloves of garlic crushed
thumb sized piece of ginger grated
½ cup red curry paste
900ml coconut cream
1 baby eggplant sliced
10 snake beans sliced
6 kaffir lime leaves torn
250g fresh pineapple pieces
3 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs grated palm sugar
150ml water
2 chicken breasts sliced thinly
200g grape tomatoes
¾ cup thai Basil leaves and the rind of a Lime to garnish
Jasmine rice to serve

Heat half coconut cream with curry paste then add ginger and garlic. Add eggplants, rest of coconut cream, beans, lime leaves, pineapple, sauces sugar and water. Bring to boil and simmer. Add chicken and tomatoes, simmer until chicken is cooked. Serve with basil, lime rind and rice.

Curry_0364_zps403e7143.jpg

Curry_0361_zps2ef66c33.jpg

Relax in the afterglow.

DAYUM I can't keep up with the awesomeness!

Masala Dosa

Dosas are a breakfast dish found in south India, and other places. Resembling a thin flat pancake of sorts folded over, and made of rice and Urad Dal (white lentils, I believe)-it can be served with chutneys (such as coconut) and/or in different manners. For this dish, I focused primarily on the Masala Dosa portion, which contains a potato filling. As a side note, fermenting the Dosa batter is a process that allows for an increase of the Vitamin B and C content.

Ingredient List

5-6 Medium sized potatoes, or as required; boiled and crushed
4 tablespoons Sunflower oil
1 teaspoon Urad Dal de-shelled and split
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
30 fresh curry leaves
1 large onion
A splash of water
3 teaspoons turmeric
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon mixture of dried Thai chili and Serrano chili
1/8 teaspoon dried yellow & green 7 Pod crushed up
2 teaspoons (or so) fresh ginger
A bit of Sunflower oil (about 1 tablespoon)
A bit of Salt (a few shakes from a salt dispenser
3 Cups Rice
1 Cup Urad Dal de-shelled and split
8 Cups water (for soaking)
1 teaspoon Sunflower oil

To make Dosa:
  1. Soak 3 cups rice in 6 cups water, and 1 cup urad dal separately in 2 cups water overnight.
  2. Drain pre-soaked urad dal, and pour into blender. Chop for a few seconds, then use a utensil to mix around in blender. Add a little water, then start blender again. When some progress has been made, add a little more water as required. By the end a smoother liquid should develop. Pour liquid into a bowl.
  3. Drain pre-soaked rice and pour into blender. Add a little water, and then chop again for a few seconds. Pour liquid into same bowl with urad dal.
  4. Mix in a bit of sunflower oil, and a bit of salt.
  5. Cover with Saran wrap and set aside to ferment overnight.
  6. Once ready, let pan heat on medium low heat.
  7. Add 1 teaspoon sunflower oil and spread around a bit.
  8. Using a ladel, add a dollop of the dosa batter to pan. Tilt the pan to spread the batter around a bit, then use flatter side of spoon (or other utensil) to spread dough even thinner.
  9. Cook for a time on one side and flip over. Repeat for other side.
  10. Place on serving dish. Place potato filling in prepared dosa, and then carefully fold over in half.
  11. Serve with Coconut chutney, or other chutney. For this instance, the chutney will be imaginary.

To make Potato filling:
  1. Placed four tablespoons Sunflower oil in a pan. To this add 1 teaspoon urad dal, 2 teaspoons black mustard seed, and 30 or so curry leaves.
  2. Chop up 1 onion and add to pan.
  3. Before onion browns, add ¼ teaspoon salt, 3 teaspoons turmeric, 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, ½ teaspoon crushed dried thai/Serrano chilis, and 1/8 teaspoon green/yellow 7 Pod chilis
  4. Soften onion with a splash of water, and cover 5 minutes.
  5. Add crushed boiled potatoes, and mix well.
MarchTD10Final2_zps0c6a9cda.jpg

MarchTD9FINAL1_zpsb9685fc3.jpg

Bump for Megamoo....... gotta wait for hubby to get home before I start mine so I have kid monitor.

I was late actually posting that one lol......

Nice work everyone!!!

Folks all I can say sittin over here on row 1, that's called sniff row cause I can smell allllll that curry goodness, of the grand stands is

DAAAYYYYYUUUUMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Y'all be doin it right!

Un frigging believable.
What a great throwdown!

Scovie if you really called a Jamaican restaurant, that qualifies as the most in depth RESEARCH ever, and I'd vote for you for that reason alone!

Im literally blown away at how great EVERY dish has been! Wow. Can't wait to copy ingredients from everyone's final posts!

this has been a hilarious topic to catch up on. Once again I suck. I went to Robben Ford last night, and worked 2 FM's between yesterday & today all while barely recovering from a headcold on Fri (e.g. still sniffling somethin fierce) and my tenants/neighbors are having friends over & cooking a big feast.

That all adds up to me losing any semblance of motivation. Love y'all and can't wait to actually do another throwdown so y'all don't think all I can cook is pineapple & burgers. :(

Also - damn, megamoo blew my mind. That is one of the best TD entries I've ever seen. Bravo.

Scovie - get down witcho bad self homie - that's some serious looking grub!

JayT - seriously? You made that? Wow. I was totally expecting hot dog curry. I'm way impressed.

keybrdkid - that is a dish full of win.

Every entry I've seen so far is spectacular. What a TD!!!! This is going to be impossible to vote on. Seriously. Wow.

ColoradoRonin & DTS - can't wait to see your final pics - you guys got some shiz goin down fo shizzle.

Coloradostan Curry

After sitting around philophizing with friends, and comparing the similiarities between Colorado and Afghanistan,,
Crazy Altitude
More kush growing here than anywhere outside of Afghanistan.
Stupid political environment
Probably just as many blackhawks flying around here as well...

This led me to research some afghani curry recipes..
Most called for nuts and yoghurt so I put my spin on it and changed up a few ingredients and came up with the Coloradostan Curry.
After eating this you'll feel like your at 14,000ft.
I wanted the pepper blend to be as complex as the other "curry" ingredients

Ingredient list:

Basmati Rice - approx 1 cup
2 large chicken breasts
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 cans coconut milk (27oz total)
3 tbsp oil
1/2 pint guinness
2 Tbsp Ghee
Parsley for garnish

SPICE BLEND:

1 tsp fresh ginger
7 cloves garlic
1 onion
1/2 tsp crushed black peppercorns
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
5-7 cloves crushed
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar

PEPPER BLEND:

1 7 Pot Yellow
1 Giant Bhut Red
1 7 Pot Yellow Brainstrain
8 Long Red Slims
8 Atomic Starfish
6 White Habaneros
1 Red Trinidad Scorpion
All ground in mortar/pestle

I started off putting the tomatoes and onions into the slow cooker along with oil. Set on low.
As that went on I added all ingredients in spice blend and pepper blend to the coconut milk and slowly wisked together and brought that up to a nice roll.
Then cube chicken and brown sides in ghee in fryng pan.
After all the chicken was browned I added the chicken to the coconut spice blend.
Let that sit on low heat for a bit (10 mins).
I then took the coconut spice blend with chicken and added it to the tomato onion mix in the slow cooker.
Stir together and add 1/2 pint of guinness. I couldn't justify any more than that. I'd rather drink it.
Let this cook on low for 6 hrs. Stirring occasionally.
I allowed this to reduce by almost half.
This allowed it to thicken up but still retained the coconut flavor.

15 minutes prior to serving put rice in rice cooker for fresh Basmati.
Garnish,
And serve:
708790F2-AA53-410C-A571-7DA5C9395BB1-369-000000C6A575E709_zpsc849081c.jpg

87F73673-E814-4AA0-9DC8-EC619C287DCA-369-000000C6C1678BC7_zps39d80f94.jpg

This turned out to have a nice coconut flavor with the clove adding a nice floral flavor to the heat.
Heat lingered for bout 1/2 hour after eating.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back