• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Curry Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
23899169-8cde-4365-a422-1dcbdf9f7fc1.jpg

Ingredients: Galanga Root, Shallots, Garlic, Thai Bird, Maui "Pele", Thai Long , and Fresh Thai Chili's, Lemon Grass, Thai Basil, Chives, Kaffir Leaves, Lime, Red Bell Pepper, Shrimp, Scallops, Lobster Tail, Squid, Cilantro, Coconut Milk, Jasmine Rice, Shrimp Paste, Fish Sauce, Cumin Seed, White Pepper Seed, Coriander Seed...

c487fb3d-2025-4ff4-98a2-a642c01f5bc5.jpg

"Fresh Sambal"...Chop up Fresh Thai Chilli's (app 40) , Garlic Cloves, and Shallots, into a small dic and add to the mortar. Pulverize mix, add sliced Culantro, juice from 1/4 of a lime, 1 tbl of Coconut Vinegar and 2 tbl of Infused Chili Oil. Smash some more and set aside at room temperature.

c744fa2e-fa5e-4b3b-873a-7954018543c8.jpg

Toast the dryed Thai Chili's, Coriander, White Pepper, and Cumin Seeds until fragrent.........or until somebody in the house starts to cough...... :shocked:

5f446fb5-ff12-4bc2-9cb5-56e80024399f.jpg

"Red Curry Paste"...Soak the dryed Thai Chili's (app. 40) in 2 cups of warm water. Pulverize Coriander, White Pepper, and Cumin Seeds in the mortar. Chop up 2 Garlic bulbs and 2 Shallots. Slice up 2" of Galaga Root cut and discard outter leaves from Lemon Grass, slice the 2 stalks into slivers ...add the sliced veg to a food processor. Add the powder from the mortar, the soaked Chili's and 1 cup of the liquid, 1/4 tsp Shrimp Paste and 1 tsp of Fish Sauce to the Food Processor. Whirl until pureed. Pour Red Curry into a bowl and set aside at room temp.

80c227e6-70f2-418e-9bf5-c59e9d63303c.jpg

Slice the heads off of the Shrimp, peel and devein. Cut Lobster Tail in half. Remove meat and cut into chunks. Remove the small muscle from the outer portion of the Scallops. Cut the heads off the Squid and discard. Remove the skin and clean the insides and out. Cut the tubes into 1/4" rings. Put the seafood in an iced bowl in the fridge until needed. Heat the Jasmine Rice in either a rice maker or on the stove...(rice maker)

a5e793e8-d4b5-436d-ae02-0820aa9429da.jpg

Heat Wok, remove the top quarter of Coconut Milk from the can. Add to Wok and bring to a boil. Add 1 cup of the Red Curry and blend together. Boil for 2 minutes, add the remainder of the Coconut Milk from the can, sliced Red Bell Pepper, and slivered Kaffir Leaves. Reduce the sauce to a simmer.

995c2502-2bdc-4c84-a9ca-5d98ceb6502e.jpg

At 1 minute intervals add the seafood starting with the Scallops....Lobster....Shrimp....and the Squid. Cook for 2 minutes longer and remove pan from heat.

25c5e1a7-5df5-4c32-8791-8c2b0f52cec8.jpg
Fold in Thai Basil Leaves , put the cover on the Wok. Remove Rice from the steamer and get ready to plate....

Plating food photos shortly......

Awesome entries so far. Great looking dishes.

Pretty glad I pulled the pin, was going really left of field. Think it would have been a waste is time.
Everyones entries are setting the bar higher

"Thai Basil Red Curry......Medley"

2703eef2-e5c2-441f-9a43-61ec7ce94705.jpg

Here's the plating...."Thai Basil Red Curry" with a seafood medley. Sided with some Jasmine Rice and a bowl of fresh "Sambal".
To wash it all down a Thai "Singha" lager...

Ingredients: Galanga Root, Shallots, Garlic, Thai-Bird, Maui "Pele",Thai Long, and Fresh Thai Chili's, Lemon Grass, Thai Basil, Chives, Kaffir Leaves, Lime, Red Bell Pepper, Scallops, Lobster Tail, Squid, Cilantro, Coconut Milk, Jasmine Rice, Shrimp Paste, Fish Sauce, Cumin, White Pepper, and Coriander Seed

Sambal...Dice up 40 fresh Thai Chili's, Chop up 2 Garlic bulbs and 2 medium Shallots. Add the chopped veg to the mortar and pulverize. Include 2 Culantro leaves sliced up with juice of 1/4 of a lime, 1 tbl of Coconut Vinegar, 2 tbl of Infused Chili Oil,and 1 tbl of Hawaiian Sea Salt. Smash all of these ingredients in the mortal with a pestle. Place the "Hot and Fresh" Sambal in a bowl and keep at room temp

Red Curry Paste...Toast 40 dryed Thai Chilis, 1 tbl of each...Coriander, White Pepper, and Cumin Seeds in a dry pan until fragrent. Add the toasted chili's in a bowl with 2 cups of warm water. Soak for 20 minutes until tender. Remove any stems and seeds...if possible and add the Chili's and 1 cup of the soaking liquid to a food processor. . Pulverize the Coriander, White Pepper, and Cumin in the mortar until powdered. Meanwhile slice up a 2" piece of the Galanga Root, 2 stalks of inner leaves from the Lemon Grass, 2 bulbs of Garlic, and 2 medium Shallots. Add the powder from the mortar, sliced veg and 1/4 tsp of Shrimp Paste, and 1 tbl of Fish Sauce to a food processor. Whirl all ingredients to a puree. Remove the "Red Curry" to a bowl and keep at room temp.

Seafood Medley... cut the 1lb Lobster in half, remove the meat and cut into chunks. Cut heads off 1 lb of Shrimp, shell and devein. Remove the membrane from 1lb of Sea Scallops, Cut the heads off 4 medium size Squid, discard . Clean the Squid tubes inside and out. Slice into 1/4" rings. Place the seafood into an iced bowl in the fridge until needed.

Jasmine Rice...Add 2 cups of rice with 3.5 cups of water into a rice steamer. Cook on auto pilot until down. It will stay warm for 2 hrs.

Wok...Fire up wok to a high heat, add the top quarter of Coconut Milk from a 12oz can. Booil the milk for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the Red Curry to the wok and return to a boil. Pour in the remaining can of Coconut Milk and simmer for 2 minutes. Add 1 Red Bell Pepper sliced into 1/8" strips. Add sliced pepper to wok along with 8 Kaffir leaves that were sliced into ribbons. Simmer another 2 minutes

Seafood... Add the seafood to wok in 1 minute intervals. Starting with the Scallops...Lobster...Shrimp...and Scallops. Simmer 2 more minutes and remove from heat. Add a dozen torn Thai Basil leaves. Cover pan and plate up rice.

Total Ingredients used.....

Seafood.......1 lb of each Lobster Tail, Scallops, Squid, Shrimp

Red Curry...40 dryed Thai Chili's
2 heads of Garlic
2 Shallots
2 stalks of Lemon Grass
2" piece of Galanga Root
1 tbl each of Coriander, White Pepper, and Cumin Seed
1/4tsp of Shrimp Paste
1 tbl of Fish Sauce

Sambal........40 fresh Thai Chili's
1 Garlic bulb
1 Shallot
2 Culantro leaves
2 tbl of Infused Chili Oil
1 tbl of Coconut Vinegar
1 tbl of Hawaiian Sea Salt

Wok Sauce..1 can of Coconut Milk blended with 1 cup of Red Curry

Garnsh.........3 Chives sliced up

Beer.............6 pack of Thai "Singha" lager

enjoy!

82e61a01-0a7a-4ccb-8c58-8e1100c6072e.jpg

Yum !.....................time for a dwink!

Chop up

Cut

"....Dice

PIC 1... like um... speechless!

This is going into the annuls as one of the most technically sound TDs ever.
I'm amazed!
I can't hang with this yet...and that's not my style to say that!
The bar was set high, and everyone else was just as great!

IMPORTANT: FINAL POST CREATION

You MUST list the ingredients of your "curry" and not just list it as red curry, etc. Break it down and list all of your individual herbs and spices. You must also list the rest of your ingredients and cooking methods as usual. List ingredient measurements on this one.

You MUST tell us the type of curry you made and where it is from. If you made up your own please tell us the influence. The name of your entry must include the type of curry you made.

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

1.5 hours left to enter and get your posts ready!

Aloo Gobi, hells yeah.

Went to two grocery stores today. No turmeric pow. Then I remembered the Asian shop within walking distance of my place. Duh! BOOM!

IMG_5467_zpsd4af508c.jpg

What the? AWESOME

IMG_5468_zps9cec8217.jpg

Ground up some toasted mustard seeds.

IMG_5471_zps0be1da4b.jpg

Then mixed it up with the rest of the spice blend.

IMG_5472_zpsccef24fc.jpg

Chopped up some onion, a head of cauliflower, and two potatoes.

IMG_5474_zps080a9053.jpg

Also used some cilantro stems in this one. Never done that before.

IMG_5475_zps8cda9b35.jpg

But it's looking gewd... and smelling delish.

IMG_5477_zpsf27c2280.jpg

Nice! I love those little Asian stores, I bought some of my ingredients at one of them too!

BTW, Pic1, AWESOME!

LDHS, I don't know whether to be flattered or insulted.

THP, this was a brilliant idea. Sitting here eating leftovers, I am thinking that I will totally be making this Phall again as a wing sauce.

Sum's Aloo Gobi

Ridiculous story... this is a standard Indian dish referred to in "Bend it like Beckham". Somehow it caught my interest, and I've been meaning to make it for the last six months just to know what they were talking about.

Simple curry dish to make... vegetarian, too, so it's budget friendly.

Curry ingreeds:

1 HEAPING tsp of ginger powder. [Probably 2 regular tsps.]
3 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp toasted mustard seed (ground)

Aloo Gobi:
Basically it's just cauliflower and diced potatoes, curried, but there are some additions that are acceptable. I fried up some finely diced onion in oil before adding my curry mix. Then added the cauliflower, potatoes, some julienned serrano, and a can of stewed tomatoes. [Trust. With this mix... you can't tell the difference from fresh or canned.] Added 2 bay leaves and some sea salt, plus some finely cut cilantro stems. Add about a cup of water and let simmer on medium, covered, for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to get it all mixed up pretty.

Served it with a heaping plate of steamed (moong?) papad. Similar to tortillas, but spiced.

Who knew cauliflower could look and taste so good?

IMG_5478_zps6b31d7c5.jpg

IMG_5480_zpsd59815a3.jpg

I love that stuff. Good job.

Never had steamed papadum. Is that done or did you make it up?

Papadums are spiced chickpea flour wafers. Love those things! Chickpea fritters called penele from North Africa and Sicily are nearly as good.

I know what they are but he steamed his. :)

I steam my tortillas... these are a bit thinner, but seemed appropriate to be able to use it as my utensil to stuff my face. I'm not shy to admit that I'm winging it here.

I need to see a pic of one of these assembled Sum. Looks like it is fairly dry when done, is there a sauce with it?

Betterhalf's Randeng Beef Curry Pizza

Mayalsain Beef Randeng
3/8LB shallots
3 cloves garlic
15 dried red chilis (went with japanese style chilis from a local store)
5 slices fresh ginger root
5 lemon grass
2tsp fennel seeds
2tsp coriander seeds
2tsp cumin seeds
1 pinch grated nutmeg
1 tbsp veg oil
1.25LB stew beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
1.5tsp white sugar
2c shredded coconut
5 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1 2/3c coconut milk
7/8c water
1/4c Anaheim peppers
1/4c Poblano peppers
Salt to taste

Heat coconut in dry wok until golden brown. Stir continuosley. Set aside to cool.

Using food processor blend shallots, lemon grass, ginger, garlic, chili's and anaheim&poblano peppers into a paste.

Grind coriander, fennel and cumin seeds nutmeg too.

Using wok fry paste in a little oil for a few minutes. Add ground spice mix and cook for another 3-4mins. Add beef cook 3-4 more minutes until browned.

Stir in sugar, cloves, cinnamon stick, coconut, coconut milk, and water. Bring to boil, simmer until most of liquid is gone and beef is tender. Add salt.

Dough
Flour
Salt
Water
Yeast
Sugar

Yeast and sugar in water until starts to foam.

Combind flour, salt and yeast mixture.

Knead and let rest for 2hours.

Reknead after 2hours and let rise again.

Make into pizza shape.

On Pizza
Beef Rendang
Yellow Onion
Tomato
Zuchinni
Poblano Pepper
Anaheim Pepper
Shredded toasted coconut
Last minute addition cuz Habby said needed more spice was Red pepper mix with Bhut Jolkia, Nagas, Carribean Reds

Preheat oven to 425 and cook 25minutes.

100_0509_zps77b68861.jpg

100_0515_zpsb45e2d54.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back