• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Dim Sum Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really very interested in this TD, but it'll be like climbing Everest to get something turned in ...

Had to do all the work this evening that didn't happen while I wasn't working all day =)

Working on a Friday night sucks - which is probably why I *NEVER* do it ... I guess it's just been so long since I've even tried, that I forgot ...

I won't forget anytime soon, again =( ...

hey, somehow I'm still at it! I'll need to get a better ingredients shot in the end because I'm just sorta winging it and adding lots of stuff randomly. #thuglifeyolokitchen, you dig?

Got some weird crazy hot fishballs going yesterday, just started a pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Who knows what will happen! Definitely not me.

5q6fpeD.jpg

APudoQ4.jpg

KIkjeUe.jpg

An EXCELLENT start there, Marcie!

I am fitting this in between bunches o' stuff, including getting ready for a trip to TEXAS, my home state. So for now, I leave y'all with this:

P1010946.JPG

Hmm…. pic makes it look more green than it is and I'm not in a color-correcting mode. It's more of a teal blue in person. 

SumOfMyBits said:
AwwwwwYeeeaaa, Marcie is for the real!

Careful with those reflections if you are cooking naked. Trust.

You shoulda checked the wet beans that day. Hella reflective.

Not having the traditional filling, I am experimenting. This seems to be working so far:

P1010951.JPG

That's grated almond paste, shredded dried coconut, cocoa powder, cayenne powder, and naga powder mixed with just enough almond milk to make it hold together. Pretty tasty!

Filling, yes. I wish the whole thing was marzipan, though, as this dough is hard to work with. You won't be seeing pics of this first batch. They'll be tasty enough, but the appearance is not quite what I was going for. 

Edit: Even less than optimal results can yield good information. I was a bit concerned that the filling might end up runny, but it was perfect. I pretty much used equal parts of almond paste and coconut, then winged it based on appearance with the rest. The dry ingredients soaked up the perfect amount of excess moisture, leaving the filling tender and not runny at all. So if I can get the wrapper dough to behave better with the next batch, this will be cool. 

salsalady said:

Definiteley put out an APB for Key~

no idea if I'm gonna be able to get this done, but I'm gonna try.

haha. Thanks for noticing. I actually share the feeling of not getting this done, but gonna try if at all possible.

I have a project I have been working on for about a month here which I need to finish quite soon, and the work involved is cutting in to my available time to do much of anything this weekend. Plus it also is Kentucky Derby Weekend, and I have my usual two shows to play on Sunday.

We'll see what I can get done. Sorry if I may have to eventually back out of this one, but I'm not out quite yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back