• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! One Pot Meal Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
PIC 1 said:
Essegi,
Nice combo of ingredients, simple process, using can beans beats having to soak the dry ones...same with the mushrooms.
Just curious though, what kind of fresh or dry mushrooms are available in your area ?

Well thought process (step by step) photography..........all the way down to the last lid shot with your camera reflection........... :cool:
Eh eh an auto stolen shot of me, a not desired side effect! :D
My uncle taught me that recipe, today was a bit dry (still good) so i added half liter of broth, it was still great!

Here in my hills you find (i say some local names): chiodini, steccherini (golden, white), cortinarii, manine, morette, mazze di tamburo, helvellas. And others.
Maybe even some porcini, but for that it's better to move in higher mountains, tou have to be very lucky (more common is his evil relative, boletus satanas wich is toxic). With even more luck amanita cesarea, and with even again more luck maybe some tartufo nero. Of course we never found these last 2.
There is also amanita phalloides, afaik it's one of the deadliest musrooms we have. Or amanita muscaria, wonderful to see, but toxic.

Then you can find some other at supermarket, sometimes we buy fresh prataioli or other cheap ones... You find porcini, sometimes even fresh,, but it's difficult to find them good and they're still expensive... About dry i don't know, not a big fan of it (aside tartufo, only that it costs like gold...).

Said that, mushrooms i used were cheap canned ones, was good for this. I washed them before use. Canned beans too, we have better beans (btw these still came from Lamon, a very good place for beans), but here it as you said would have been uncomfortable to use dried beans and i needed water on cans...

MeatHead1313 said:
Question for the boss though if I do attempt it-can I use sausage we smoke where I work even if we only have 3 local stores? 
Someone else asked a similar question already. The answer would apply to your entry, too. As long as you just state something like "smoked sausage - I made my own but any smoked sausage will do", that will work. The steps to making the sausage shouldn't be included in your entry.

geeme said:
Someone else asked a similar question already. The answer would apply to your entry, too. As long as you just state something like "smoked sausage - I made my own but any smoked sausage will do", that will work. The steps to making the sausage shouldn't be included in your entry.
Awesome. Thanks for the info geeme! 

i imagine there are peeps that wont be able to participate. dont think there ego would fit in only one pot :rofl:

skeletalbitchslap.gif

Arroz con Pato Borracho - Drunk Duck with Rice

Ingredients:

- 1 Duck jointed
- 2 Cups of Rice
- 2 Red Onions
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 5 Finger Chillies
- 2 Bull Horn Chillies
- 4 each of Red and Green Thai Chillies
- 1 Bunch of Corriander (blended with 1 cup water)
- 100g of Pumpkin grated
- 1 cup of Mixed Frozen Veges
- 2Tsp Aji Amarillo Paste
- 1Tsp Aji Panca Paste
- 1Tsp Aji Panca Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 Bottle of Black Lager
- 1 Bottle of Pumkin Ale
- 2 Shots of Pisco
- evo
- Salt and Pepper

Method:

- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees (c)
- Season duck and over a high heat with a little evo, fry in batches the set aside.
2ec5.jpg

- Sautee onions then add the peppers and garlic..... when peppers are soft add grated pumkin
ztj7.jpg

swgg.jpg

5i08.jpg

- Add Aji pastes.... Aji powder and Cumin....
- Add Pisco.... then two bottles of beer....
- Add blended Corriander...... return duck to pot.... bring to boil
ia4k.jpg

hdre.jpg

ardj.jpg

- With lid on put in oven for one and a half hours
- Remove from oven.... taste and season.... incorparate rice and mixed veges.....
- Return to oven for 1/2 an hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15mins

kpcx.jpg

1tqi.jpg

...... she aint be the purtiest thing.... but it tasted good.... thats whats important to me

You guys are killin' it!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
cooking tomorrow but first time to introduce some smoke but NOT cook the sausage. ;)
Oh, because I said "cooking" process? I don't see why you're trying hard to get around the requirements... hopefully you post a one pot meal and not "smoked but not cooked" sausage as part of your process. Like I said, smoke it, fine, but it shouldn't be part of the process here. Just list it as Ingredients: smoked sausage. It's a common retail product, so it's fine. Like buying smoked ham at the deli.

BBQ ribs are BBQ ribs, into a pot doesn't make it a one pot meal.

Frydad's Cuban Arroz con Pollo

Chicken drumsticks...$.49/lb.  Can't go wrong with that. Especially when it's a signature dish of Cuban cuisine.
As a Miami native, Gringo though I may be, I embrace the Cuban culture, and Arroz con Pollo is a staple around these parts. 
One pot...no problem. 

Here's my recipe. 
4 [/size]chicken legs[/size]
[size=NaN]Adobo seasoning with Saffron for browning the chicken[/size]
[size=NaN]1/4 cup[/size] [size=NaN]olive oil[/size][/size] for frying[/size]
[size=NaN]1/2 large[/size] [size=NaN]onion, chopped[/size][/size]
2 [size=NaN]cachucha peppers, sliced[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]2 cloves[/size] [size=NaN]garlic, mashed[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]Half a Beck's Sapphire[/size]
[size=NaN]1 3/4 cups[/size] [size=NaN]chicken broth[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]1/2 C [/size][size=NaN]tomato sauce[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]1/4 teaspoon[/size] [size=NaN]Bijol Powder[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]1[/size] [size=NaN]bay leaf (it's good luck if you get it in your bowl)[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]1 teaspoons [/size][size=NaN]oregano[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]1 teaspoons [/size][size=NaN]cumin, ground[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]3/4 teaspoons [/size][size=NaN]salt[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]1/4 teaspoon [/size][size=NaN]black pepper[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]1 3/4 cups [/size][size=NaN]parboiled rice[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]1/2 cup [/size][size=NaN]peas and carrots[/size][/size]

[size=NaN]1/4 cup fresh diced tomato[/size][/size]

[size=NaN]Brown the chicken. Take out of the pot.[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]Add everything except for the chicken, rice, peas/carrots/tomato[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]boil. Add chicken, cover and cook 15 minutes.[/size][/size]
[size=NaN]Add rice. Cook 35 minutes. [/size]
[size=NaN]Add peas/carrots/tomato. Cook 6 minutes. [/size]
[size=NaN]Serve. [/size]

[size=NaN]Muy Bien!![/size]

[size=NaN]Browning Chicken with Saffron Adobo[/size]
11260286083_013d1b5c14_b.jpg

Sweating the onions, garlic, and peppers
11260241894_59eba1082a_b.jpg

Simmering
11260289423_3ab13d503b_b.jpg

11260291163_f2a5e77603_b.jpg

Add Rice
11260246704_776b335c82_b.jpg

Together like peas and carrots...and tomatoes
11260207255_9fa960c177_b.jpg

Dinner is served!
11260208735_26e62e59e6_b.jpg

11260238716_5195ac52ca_b.jpg

11260299533_fd85bc1b6c_b.jpg

Boosh!!

Damn, wish I saw this yesterday, made an awesome chili with onions, chili, black, kidney beans, cayenne, jalapeno, habanero, ginger, cumin, chili powder.

Lot of tasty looking stuff posted so far, good luck, fellows.

Mmmm I love ACP. Very nice!

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh, because I said "cooking" process? I don't see why you're trying hard to get around the requirements... hopefully you post a one pot meal and not "smoked but not cooked" sausage as part of your process. Like I said, smoke it, fine, but it shouldn't be part of the process here. Just list it as Ingredients: smoked sausage. It's a common retail product, so it's fine. Like buying smoked ham at the deli.

BBQ ribs are BBQ ribs, into a pot doesn't make it a one pot meal.
They will be cooked in one pot tomorrow and of course I will post all the ingredients! I am not trying to skate around any process and will list it as you had previously requested just wanted to make sure it was understood that it was having smoke added but shall be cooked in a single pot. :)

Teaser from the Bitter Cold Methow Valley-

My POT!

This is a #8 Chicken Pan, it even says so on the pot bottom!  With consecutive numbers.

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1854.JPG

Ingredients- so far.... and the wine is for the cook, not the pot...  lol-
IMG_1855.JPG

Heat-
some frozen New Mexico Hatch chiles, and a Latin Spice Blend I just got from Sauce Goddess sauces in San Diego.  "If you don't lick your fingers, someone else will" is their motto.  Might throw in a bit of jalapeno, but that'll depend on how the dish cooks up.
IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

Mix the Sauce Goddess Latin Rub with a bit of oil and get it all up under the skin of the rinsed/trimmed chicken.  I don't plan on using the skin, so I want all those good spices down next to the meat.  Stuff the cavities with fresh herbs, onion, garlic, lemon grass, and lime leaves. 

Flop it into the pre-heated cast iron Chicken Pan and into the oven to cook.

IMG_1858.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

Back Later~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back