• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! One Pot Meal Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Siccy's gettin' Jiggy!  :lol:

And I'm rockin' my Sicman t-shirt, sipping a little cab from CJ and SD, posting in the TD, enjoying the baking chicken smell that's starting to waft through the house...........It's a good Saturday!

FD and Tinnie, nice dishes!  Great to see the CI in use.  :cool:

frydad4 said:
Looks tasty!
Mine is sort of similar...but Miami-style!!!
Teaser PoL

11258437495_fabcd48ff2_b.jpg
I have a jar of that chicken base in the fridge. I have their beef base too. Great flavor booster that stuff is.

Dude I hope you're shadowing Wakko's mom's recipe. I know what you're making!!! Masterpiece!!
He used to bring leftovers back to our place in Gainesville. 
I did a lot of weird shit just for a serving!!!!!

frydad4 said:
Dude I hope you're shadowing Wakko's mom's recipe. I know what you're making!!! Masterpiece!!
He used to bring leftovers back to our place in Gainesville. 
I did a lot of weird shit just for a serving!!!!!

Don't have Teresa's recipe, but I wouldn't flinch at standing toe to toe with her on this one. 

Simply Good Food

This is easy; anyone can make it. In fact, you probably already do, in some form or fashion. What makes this special is the seasonings. I have some go-to's when I usually make this, but recently decided to mix things up a bit. The first time I did, my son asked me what kind of sausage I used. "Smoked Turkey." He looked at me and asked "no, really, what kind of sausage did you use?" "Really, it's the same smoked turkey sausage I usually use." "Hmm.... whatever seasonings you used totally changed it; it's more like pork or beef sausage. You should make this again." So here it is:

Smoked Turkey Sausage (I bought Butterball, but if you have the time, equipment, and inclination, you can make your own from scratch.)
Onion
Baby bella mushrooms - pack
Red bell pepper 2
Orange rocoto 
Green poblano
Dragon49's yellow cross
Brown ancho mulatto
Zucchini 2 small
Butternut squash
Garlic 1 Tbs +/- (you can use fresh, but I keep a big ole jar of it in the fridge, 'specially for occasions like this)

Seasonings: (number after seasoning is the number of shakes)
Using the small shaker holes add sea salt 6, oregano 6, thyme 10, marjoram 10, aji panca powder 6, basil 6, cilantro 10, cumin 4, fennel 5, mustard powder 10
Using the large shaker hole add gumbo filé powder 10, 
Then, for good measure, add more gumbo filé powder 10 - it's good stuff

Spread some olive oil in the pan, add chopped onion and baby bellas:
P1010728.JPG

Add red bells, orange rocoto, dragon49's yellow, a green poblano, and an ancho mulatto (last of the season on both the rocoto and ancho!):
P1010729.JPG

Toss in zucchini and butternut squash:
P1010731.JPG

Everything's gooder with garlic, so toss some o' that in there along with your sausage:
P1010732.JPG

Drench with olive oil, then get happy with the spices:
P1010733.JPG

Give it a good stir, then cover with foil:
P1010734.JPG

Roast at 400F for about 25 minutes, then give it another good stir. Put it back in the oven until everything's cooked through:
P1010735.JPG

400F also happens to be the perfect temp to make cheesy garlic-y corn muffins. 
P1010738.JPG

Fix a plate and dig in!

Chicky's out of the oven and tasting incredible!!! I ate half a leg before actually moving on to the next step.  The citrus notes of the lemon grass and lime leaves really came through.  All the other aromatics  and that spicy kick for the Sauce Goddess spices ....WOW!

IMG_1862.JPG

The chicken was set aside and the drippings poured off into a bowl....but the pan was not washed!!!
I actually added some of the chicken fat from the bowl of drippings back to the pan to sauté the veggies.
IMG_1864.JPG

First up....PINEAPPLE!  Not exactly "grilled" but pan-frying accomplished the same thing.
IMG_1865.JPG

and other ingredients-
IMG_1867.JPG

edit- somewhere in here is the ginger snaps!  To add another bit of ginger, molasses and it helps to thicken the sauce.
IMG_1868.JPG

Time to make the DUMPLINGS.  Yep, Caribbean Jerk Chicken Dumplings!   

I used a box of corn meal muffin mix and mixed it with regular biscuit/dumpling mix.  I didn't think the corn muffins would work in the one pot as was, and regular biscuits = (yawn)....mix it together and it was perfect!  Bit of bite from the cornmeal and still the dough of the dumpling.  Mixed it up on the counter and dropped it into the boiling pot.

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1872.JPG

The pot before the dumplings with all the veggies and chicken, broth, etc...-
IMG_1871.JPG

IMG_1873.JPG

New Orleans Style-BBQ Shrimp

According to my reading, in New Orleans, bbq shrimp refers to sautéed shrimp in a Worcestershire butter sauce-not cooked on a grill.  

Ingredients

shrimp
2 tablespoons creole seasoning
1/4 cup sunflower oil
4 clove garlic, in pieces
2 tablespoons rosemary
1/4 cup broth-I used turkey (monitor sodium.)
6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
6 tablespoons hot sauce
5 tablespoon lemon juice
12 tablespoons butter pieces
bread

Put the shrimp in a container and add creole seasoning. coat well. Set shrimp aside.

Heat pan over medium heat. Add oil and garlic cook for about 1 minute. watch carefully!! (caught me sleeping. heh)

Add rosemary, then add shrimp. Flip once, cooking for about 30 seconds total. Remove shrimp from pan, set aside.

Add broth, Worcestershire, hot sauce (I added hot sauce later inadvertently,) and lemon juice. Cook about 7 minutes.

Remove pan from heat, and whisk in butter a few pieces at a time. Return shrimp to pan, and coat. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Serve with bread.  

Salsalady's Caribbean Chicken and Dumplings-

1 chicken
1 box corn muffin mix and 1 portion biscuit mix with egg and milk per recipe for each, mix according to box directions, then mix together.

For the roasted chicken-
Latin/Jerk/Or other spice mix to taste
vegetable oil- any kind will work, just to mix with the dried spice mix for rubbing down the chicken
Savory Herbs for roasting chicken, fresh or dried, use what you have available
Lemon grass and Lime leaves for roasting chicken
1/2 fresh onion for roasting chicken
6-8 cloves garlic

Chicken broth base-
2 carrots-diced
1 red bell pepper- diced
3 large shallots- diced
ginger
chile of choice- I used some frozen New Mexico Hatch chiles and more Sauce Goddess Latin Spice mix
chicken broth
pineapple slices
4 ginger snap cookies

From the top!
IMG_1855.JPG

Mix the dry spice mix or dry herbs with oil and rub all over the rinsed and trimmed chicken.  Rub it all under the skin to get those spices into the meat.  For this recipe, I won't be using the skin, but rubbing the skin down with the spicy oil makes some wonderful crispy skin tidbits!!!

Stuff some chunked onion, garlic and savory herbs into the chicken's cavities.  In keeping with the tropical flavors, I also used smashed lemon grass stalks and lime leaves with the sage, rosemary, thyme.

Plop it into a roasting pan or pot and bake as usual, about 350F for 40 minutes. 
IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

When the chicken is looking all golden happy and the leg joints feel loose (quick tip on how to tell when a chicken is done...the leg and wing joints move easily)... remove from the oven.  Set the chicken aside on a plate and pour the drippings into a bowl.
IMG_1864.JPG

[I used a cast iron pan which works on stove top and in the oven.  If you use an oven roasting pan for the first part, just use a regular stove top pan for the next part...]

Add 1-2 tablespoons of chicken fat into a pan set on medium heat on the stove top.  Cook 4 pineapple rings in the drippings until nicely golden.  Remove from pan and set aside.
IMG_1865.JPG

Add your veggies of choice to the pan, starting with the firmest veggies first(carrots) and the lightest last (peas, in this case...snow peas), and sauté until tender. 

Add about a quart of chicken broth to the pot and all the chicken drippings, bring to boil.  Taste, adjust seasonings as desired.

Bring up to boil, add some shredded chicken (about 1/2 of the roasted chicken, I like a mix of light and dark meats) and the pineapple rings, chopped up.  Also add 4 ginger snap cookies, for the sweetness and also to help thicken the chicken-veggie broth.

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1871.JPG

Mix up the corn muffins per box directions and let it rest in the bowl for 5 minutes, mix up the biscuit mix per directions, then mix both the corn and biscuit mix together. 

IMG_1872.JPG

Plop blobs of dough into the simmering broth, cover and cook for about 12 minute.  At this point, the dumplings are cooked, but I put the cast iron back into a 400F oven to brown up the tops.
IMG_1881.JPG

Dinner is served!
IMG_1880.JPG

WOW!  This was a pretty spicy chicken dish.  The citrus notes from the lemon grass and lime leaves came through in the roasted chicken.  The Latin Spice mix kicked it up and I'd originally thought to add more spice to the dumpling mixes but that was not necessary.     

oh WOW! Cross-posting with KybrdKid! 

Shrimp! Shrimp! Shrimp Shrimp!......I'm having flashbacks to Floyd On Food episodes..... 

MMMmmmmmmmm!!!! SHRIMP!!!!

Did I mention I like shrimp?

:)

Essegi said:
Eh eh an auto stolen shot of me, a not desired side effect! :D
My uncle taught me that recipe, today was a bit dry (still good) so i added half liter of broth, it was still great!

Here in my hills you find (i say some local names): chiodini, steccherini (golden, white), cortinarii, manine, morette, mazze di tamburo, helvellas. And others.
Maybe even some porcini, but for that it's better to move in higher mountains, tou have to be very lucky (more common is his evil relative, boletus satanas wich is toxic). With even more luck amanita cesarea, and with even again more luck maybe some tartufo nero. Of course we never found these last 2.
There is also amanita phalloides, afaik it's one of the deadliest musrooms we have. Or amanita muscaria, wonderful to see, but toxic.

Then you can find some other at supermarket, sometimes we buy fresh prataioli or other cheap ones... You find porcini, sometimes even fresh,, but it's difficult to find them good and they're still expensive... About dry i don't know, not a big fan of it (aside tartufo, only that it costs like gold...).

Said that, mushrooms i used were cheap canned ones, was good for this. I washed them before use. Canned beans too, we have better beans (btw these still came from Lamon, a very good place for beans), but here it as you said would have been uncomfortable to use dried beans and i needed water on cans...

Thanks for the detailed response. You have quite a  selection of varieties varieties to choose from. Good mushrooms, as you have are expensive here. 
In my area we have Morels, early in the Spring, and Trumpets various times of the year.  There's also plenty of wild shrooms to chose from, but that can be dangerous if one doesn't know which are safe to pick.

I have a couple of bags of Morels  in a freezer, I 'll  thaw some out this week  to make a Blackened Bourbon Filet dish..........can't beat steak and mushrooms !

A few teaser photos...

Ingredients: Garlic, Bell Peppers, Onion, Celery, Ham Shank, Tasso, Speck, Large Gulf Shrimp, Chicken Thighs, Andouille Sausage, Parsley, Thyme, Bay Leaves, Green Onions, Marjoram, Peeled Roma Tomatoes, Tomato Paste, Cayenne Powder, Smoked Paprika, Rice, Worcestershire Sauce, Abita Beer, Bread Dough (bowl for plating), Duck Fat, Black Salt, Peppercorn Medley, Chicken Stock, Fish Stock.
Ingredients not in axact proportions...

some prep shots......before I fire up the pot

Chop Celery, Onion and Bell Peppers into 1/2" dice. Slice and rough chop Tomatoes. Finely dice Garlic, slice Andouille into coins. Cut Chicken Thighs into bite size pieces. Slice Speck into strips, peel and devine Gulf Shrimp. Chop Parsley, strip and slice Thyme and Marjoram,...cube Tasso.

although what's  in the next photo is not necessarily part of the actual meal....it is part of the plating

This is the Bread Dough...which will become the "Bowl for Plating".........pre-heating the pot for the meal.............. :)

Not the Sword in the Stone.......but the knife in whats to become the breadbowl.......
Cooking procedure shots, final measurements,   and plating.............later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back