• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Pizza Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
ayo Miami people

why do you have to be 4 hours away

I dont have anything to cook with, and I need a kitchen to borrow

ayo Miami people

why do you have to be 4 hours away

I dont have anything to cook with, and I need a kitchen to borrow

Hmmm...Maybe if we print out a HUGE Wheebz head and hover it in the background of a picture of a pizza we make for you...

THP would be none-the-wiser. (Pssst... don't tell El Jefe)

Yeah down in FLA you have to photoshop a good pizza, I heard.

Damn I know. Cook at Darwins!!!
We'd love to see pics anyways!

Someday we'll all show up in the everglades somewhere at a campsite and cook some outdoors drunken shenanagry.

...Unless you want to start driving. Sum and I both have nice kitchens, but we're cooking at my place tomorrow.

Show us Darwins!

Yeah down in FLA you have to photoshop a good pizza, I heard.

at least our pizzas aren't FROZEN 4 months out of the year!
You are starting to sound like a bitter JETS fan.
True Story?

Let me save you some trouble and call Papa John's for you.

Finished! It came out like crap. Nothing like I envisioned in my head. This is why I rarely cook sober ;) I really don't want to waste a half hour typing up the ingredient list, etc, but just so everyone else can have a laugh at my expense I'll do it.

Finished! It came out like crap. Nothing like I envisioned in my head. This is why I rarely cook sober ;) I really don't want to waste a half hour typing up the ingredient list, etc, but just so everyone else can have a laugh at my expense I'll do it.

that sounds like a red herring..... :think:

Boss, I'll keep you company on the bench this weekend...here's the extent of my cooking for the next few days-
127381b3.jpg

Re-WIne!

looking forward to seeing the goods~~~

SL that pic is tripping me out, it's a pic of the glass but the glass is in the pic of the glass :drunk: STOP!

Boss, Are you feeling [boxed in], d r a w n o u t , and foncused? :lol: :drunk:

luv my new rednek wine glass!

This is the start of something beautiful....my dumb ass thought that the PoL was whatever you wanted it to be lol. What a moron....thank god my cooking is better than my ability to follow directions...I hope. (I do have proper PoL in the pics I will enter with)

Ingredients list

King Arthur unbleached flour
House-Autry yellow corn mean
Fresh Market tomato sauce
Dry active yeast
Morton's sea salt
Fresh Market roasted garlic cloves
Fresh Market marinated yellow sweet peppers
Fresh Market hand spun Mozzarella
Fresh Market aged Parmesan
Red Wax Gouda
Soft Goat Cheese (chevre)
Arugula
Shallots
Clove of garlic
One organic lemon
Hormel Center Cut Bacon
Pancetta (Italian bacon)

Baker's Peppers fresh Jamaican Scotch Bonnets, Australian Lantern Hybrids Red and Billy Boy Douglah Red pods

2012-01-06101519.jpg

:lol:

Looking interesting. Dramatic lighting.

I love making pizza. Been making it for 16 years as a hobby. Started off with pita pizzas, then learning to make from scratch in my oven, the next evolution was using the 2Stone oven, one day in the far future i'll get a brick oven :)

So to get started, i'll be making 3 pizzas.
  1. Neopolitan Pizza using Brain Strain Pizza Sauce
  2. Neopolitan Pizza with my own home grown pickled bhut jolokia
  3. Plain Neopolitan Pizza for the wife :)
Here are my ingredients for the dough (65% hydration)
  1. 500 gm of flour (250 using caputo tipo 00 flour from italy, 250 king arthur flour)
  2. 325 gm of water
  3. 1 gm of SAF active dry yeast
  4. 10 gm of italian sea salt
For the brain strain pizza sauce:
  1. Strained Prego Tomato, Onion, Garlic sphaghetti sauce (i know you are probably whuuuuu, but its really tasty)
  2. Dried brain strain flakes from pods i got from Cappy
Here is the overall pic of ingredients:
P1020609.jpg

The dough all incorporated and resting
P1020613.jpg

Weighing the dough balls, each will be 270 grams
P1020614.jpg

The dough balls, 3 of them all smooth and rounded
P1020615.jpg

Dough Balls are now ready to proof, i'll be making same day pizza, i usually put these in the fridge for a 2-3 day cold proof, but i'm not patient :)
P1020616.jpg

The beginning of the Brain Strain Pizza Sauce
P1020620.jpg

Here is a pic of the 2Stone oven
pizza3.jpg

Stay tuned!

Oh crap! A pizza oven! 16 year pizza chef. Dayyyyuuuummmmmm. It's over.

Tour De 'Za
So when I heard we were doing a pizza throwdown I thought I'd make a massive pizza shaped like the US and make a bunch of small pies highlighting regional cuisines. It sounded good, but in practice I really butchered it. Definitely an abomination of a pizza ;) Art was my worst class by far in school so I probably should have thought twice about trying to pull this off. Here's what I did...

I made the dough last night in 2 batches. Between the 2 there was roughly 5.5 C Water, 12 C Flour (8 C Bread, 2C Semolina, 2C Oat), 2 TBSP yeast, 3-4 Tbsp olive oil, 4 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp salt. I let it rise at room temp for about 20 hours before I used it today.
I made 2 garlic sheet pizzas that were topped with a pulsed mixture of jalapeño butter I made a couple months ago, 3 1/2 heads of roasted garlic, milk, and black pepper. After I put some of that mixture on the pizzas I put about 2 or 3 cloves of fresh garlic on each pie. They got cooked on convect at 550 for about 10 minutes each.

Then I made 7 small pies:
1) Cuban Pork - Mustard for the sauce, followed by sliced ham, followed by roasted pork I cut from the should I slow cooked earlier today, topped with thin sliced aged swiss cheese.
2)BBQ Pork- Chocolate Hab BBQ Sauce that I made up this morning (chocolate habanero, minced onion, minced garlic, tomato puree, ketchup, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, sriracha, molasses, malt vinegar, black pepper, and brown sugar[shoot me a message if you want the measurements, it came out real good] ), pulled pork that I cooked for 8 hours at 235, white sharp cheddar cheese, and topped with shaved red onions.
3)Philly Cheese Steak - Thin sliced steak sauteed with Italian spices, roasted onions and peppers, and cheddar jack cheese.
4) 7 Cheese Pizza - I used some pasta sauce I made and canned this summer and topped it with Heluva Good shredded 4 cheese (Mozzarella, Provolone, Parmesan, and Romano) and added some Pepper Jack, White Cheddar, and Aged Swiss.
5) Pierogi Pie- Garlic Mashed Potatoes (red skin potato boiled and mashed with olive oil, milk, roasted garlic, salt and pepper) and white cheddar cheese topped with thin sliced scallions.
6) Spinach and Artichoke- For sauce I made creamed spinach (milk, whipped cream cheese, minced onions, ground pepper, pecorino romano cheese, nutmeg and spinach) which I cooked down and pulsed with a hand blender. I topped the pizza with pepper jack cheese and marinated artichoke hearts.
7)Southwest Chicken Ranch - Roasted chicken, roasted red onions, green peppers and corn, topped with pepper jack cheese. I drizzled it with ranch dressing and added some finely diced cayenne peppers.

These pizzas got about 8 minutes in the oven at 550.

If I had to do this over again and someone forced my hand to do the same type of thing, I would probably have used a red sauce and mozz for the whole pizza. I thought the individual pizzas would stand out more the way I did it, but it just makes the rest of the pizza look vacant.

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7523.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back