• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Pizza Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
3/5 that's an awesome assortment of ingredients you've got going on there!
Pepper Jam: Can't wait to see your finished product. When the ingredient list comes out in metric you know it's going to be a finely tuned product! That oven can't hurt either.

IMG_7519.jpg

IMG_7523.jpg

ALL of SoFlo was represented! That piece stretches from Miami to ATL. Good job Diamond.

I hope no one from Hawaii or Alaska is here. :tear:

wow MJ!!!!
That is INCREDIBLE!!!!
Don't eat it yet, though.
Quick, slap on a Texas chili pie (no beans there) and a Washington State apple/salmon concoction!!!

Seriously, GREAT idea! Looks real fun, and a ton of work! I dedicate my next Busch Light to you.
(and in case you didn't know, that's a compliment around here. It's all we drink)

ohh all of you So Flo peepz will always have a VIP table at my place

we can drink and eat and be merry and kayak and bear it up drunken chef/TD style ALWAYS

MJ - that's ROCKIN' cool!!!! I loooove it!!!!

Just got home & I'm kypin' the 'puter while Scov's on the telly. Gettin' my inspiration on (read that "drink on"...duh)!

I spent sleepless night's this week trying to come up with an idea. I REALLY wanted to do it Geeme-style...totally out of the box and new (for me). I had nothin'....

then one night, about 3:00AM...okay morning, I came across some drunken notes I made sum other nite...and...a pizza was born. Well, conceived.

Tonight, it's Life begins.....(geez, I feel like Dr. Frankenstein!)

Tell scovie get his drunk posting ass on here so he has something to do tomorrow (editing out drunk posts).

Thanks guys (and girl)! Frydad, texas chili is a good idea. If I had some more dough I would have considered throwing it on. 6 lbs of dough doesn't go as far as you'd think ;)

Oh, he'll get his DPA on here soon enuf. It's MY turn dammit! ;) I just realized that MJ didn't give the NW any luv. I'm sad now.

Pepper Jam - i have dō envy.

Where is the "west side" BTW??????? You Easties are all hopped up, huh?!?! Cheers to the freakin' TD weekend!!! :beer:

Here's what I'm bringing to the table.............well I guess you can say the counter.

IMG_2326.jpg

With the exception of a few ingredients missing of the table.....one is the shot glass that's in front of me........... :drunk:
A full list with procedures and photos will be here sometime Sunday........after the football

Greg

MJ - potatoes > joe & chocolate!?!?!?! ok, I concur. This time.

Sum - why you bringin' sexy pizza back???? Den bring it DOG! (or Bear can!) ;)

Crap, Pic - that looks so intriguing! And earthy? AND - you just reminded me my Saints are playing tomorrow....

I might hafta pass on this TD...not...enuf...time..... heeeer's Scovie!!! ;)

So here we go!

The dough balls have proofed and are ready to be rounded. I hand kneaded the dough and make the pizza by hand, no rolling pins :)
P1020623.jpg

The 2Stone is set to 750 or so. I use a laser temp gun to check the temp of the stone. Takes about 2 minutes to cook a pizza.
P1020629.jpg

Flattened by hand, makes the pizza be more fluffy.
P1020627.jpg

Pizza with Pickled Bhut Jolokias on one side, and pickled biker billy jalapenos on the other.
P1020633.jpg

With Cheese
P1020634.jpg

Pizza's done! The Bhut pizza
P1020636.jpg

And plain cheese pizza for wife, she doesn't like hot stuff, but she loves HeartBreakingDawn's Bhut Sauce. Great Flavor!!!
P1020648.jpg

For pizza geeks, charring on the back is a big plus and adds to the flavor
P1020643.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

PepperJam's Neapolitan Brain Strain and Bhut Pizza

My pizza style if very minimalistic. My philosophy is to let the two most important parts of the pizza do the talking, the dough and the sauce. I usually don't put too many toppings because they will hide the taste of the dough and sauce. I usually put basil and garlic and cheese, that's it. This is the philosophy in Naples, Italy when making Neapolitan Pizza.

Brain Strain Pizza
P1020647.jpg

Look at that crumb and hole structure on the bhut/biker billy jalapeno pizza!
P1020641.jpg

Here are my ingredients for the dough (65% hydration)
  • 500 gm of flour (250 using caputo tipo 00 flour from italy, 250 king arthur flour)
  • 325 gm of water
  • 1 gm of SAF active dry yeast
  • 10 gm of italian sea salt
For the brain strain pizza sauce just mix:
  • Strained Prego Tomato, Onion, Garlic sphaghetti sauce (i know you are probably whuuuuu, but its really tasty)
  • Garlic chunks
  • Dried brain strain flakes from pods i got from Cappy
How to make the Dough
  1. Take 75% of the dough (375 grams) and mix with the 325 grams of water until mixed (should take 1-2 mins by hand)
  2. Rest for 20 mins (called autolyse)
  3. Add the rest of the flour (125 grams) and mix by hand until all the flour is incorporated, you should have a rough ball
  4. Rest for 10 mins to let the dough rest and so the gluten develops
  5. Sprinkle the yeast on the dough (yea its strange, new technique i learned), and knead well
  6. Let it rest for 10 mins, then knead in the salt
  7. Rest the dough another 10 mins, and then knead for a few mins
  8. The dough should be smooth, you can do a window pane test (google it) to make sure gluten has developed
  9. Split the dough into 3 dough balls (270 grams for my case) and put into containers that is coated with olive oil
  10. Let proof for 2 hours in a warm place
When the dough balls are 1 1/2 times their size, then its ready to start shaping for making the pizza. I put flour on my kitchen counter then put the container upside down and let the dough ball drop. Sprinkler flower on the side facing up and use your fingers to make the dough a circle. Start shaping into a 11 or 12 inch circle.

Put the pizza dough onto a wood pizza peel. Make sure the pizza dough doesn't stick to the peel. Next put the sauce onto the pizza. I put the toppings like the pickled bhut/jalapeno and then put the cheese. I then drizzled with olive oil. I put the pizza into the 2Stone oven for 2 mins and viola! It's done!

Put pizza on rack so water condensation doesn't make pizza soggy. Cut after a few mins and enjoy!

Pizza Taste Review
  1. Bhut/Biker Billy Jalapeno Pizza - Great taste, Really hot. Each bhut ring still had it's heat. My tummy is still warm from it!
  2. Brain Strain Pizza - Just like the pepper, you don't feel it at the time, but after i finished a slice, my body started to get warmer
  3. I left the cheese pizza for the wife.

Hope you enjoyed the pics and story. I know i did. I was about to be cheap and just make a simple pita pizza, but my pizza-blood kicked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back