• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Begin! Pizza Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hit us up with some of that famed Gator Pie Wicked!

its in the works as we speak, dough is proofing at the moment will be rollin' it out in a hour or so, not sure how Im gonna work the gator meat in quite yet, i may just end up using some smoked gator sausage instead of the nuggets, I had a really crazy idea last night but its probably not gonna happen the way i wanted so i might just go a more traditional route

DAAAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMM!

Serious pizzzers goin down here. So many entrants, so much pie, so much fun.

Stones, pans, CI, grills. Gator, Chili, steak, chicken, pickles, eggs, even dessert! Round, Square, Round-"ish", USA.

We got it all!

Figure I'd better get a teaser with PoL in it before anything else:
P1000872.JPG

Just a FEW o' the ingredients...

Love the music selection. May have won my vote with the desire to go a step farther with video.

Edit for typos as always

Here's the start to the sauce...........basting under my "Salamander" broiler...

IMG_2363.jpg

Sure I could have opened up one of my mason jars of "verde".....but this is a throwdown.........from scratch it is!

Greg

IMG_2386.jpg

Here's some Poblanos, Anaheims and Jalapenos roast/smoking over some hichory and apple woods......these will be part of the toppings

IMG_2423.jpg

Here's the "Emulsified Verde Sauce" with the roasted skinned peppers...........those who roast peppers know there's some heavy flavor going on...

IMG_2399.jpg

more toppings, some wild mushrooms flambe in a couple jiggers of "Tequila"......oh, and one for me!

next is the pie!

Greg

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So I made my pizza dough...

P1000113-1.jpg

P1000114.jpg

And then some sauce

P1000115.jpg

P1000119.jpg

Dough ready to go in the oven for a few min.

P1000123.jpg

After a few minutes in the oven and ready for sauce

P1000126.jpg

P1000124.jpg

Fresh grated Mozzerella

P1000129.jpg

Add the rest of the ingredients and try to compile my final post.

Fajita Texifaction:

(That's like Satisfaction, only better!)
Just got back from visiting the fam in Houston, so kind of HAD to do TexMex.

CRUST:
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup boiling water
Stir the boiling water into the cornmeal, cover and let come to room temperature. Stir again, then put into the fridge while you're getting the rest of the crust ingredients ready.

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon instant or bread-machine yeast
Garlic powder
Cayenne powder
Stir these dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.

1 cup ice water
1 tablespoon olive oil
Stir the ice water into the now-cool cornmeal/water mix, then stir all of into the dry ingredient bowl, just until incorporated. Add the tablespoon of olive oil, and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge 3 to 12 hours. Move it to a cool room for 4 to 12 hours.

Stir dough to deflate it, divide in half if using standard circular pizza pans. Dough may be used immediately, or refrigerated up to 12 hours, or wrapped and frozen for up to 1 month.

PIZZA:
Put a pizza stone or a pan on the lowest rack of the oven, and preheat to 500F. Spread the dough out on parchment paper, drizzle with olive oil, then bake 5 minutes. Add the toppings. Slide it (on the parchment paper) onto the stone or pan, bake for 10 minutes. Garnish with pico de gallo, sour cream and guacamole, squeeze fresh lime all around.

Toppings:
- Flank steak rubbed with a blend of oregano, garlic powder, chipotle chile powder, allspice, cumin, achiote, and coriander.
- Dried jalapeños and congo trinidads rehydrated in tequila.
- Fresh rocotos.
- Chopped onion and red bell pepper
- Sliced tomatoe
- Fresh cilantro
- Creamed corn (for the sauce)
- Shredded pepper jack cheese
- Zucchini and green bell pepper

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

I should go home more often for such inspiration - this was WOW.

Nice one geeme. So in your cooking method, can you tell us how the steak was prepared? I assume it was cooked first right? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back