• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Super Bowl Touchdown Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow - a whole lot of awesome going on in here. Great job everyone! Can't wait to see all the final finals.

Love both of the wonton dishes - my neighbors growing up were asian, so I have great memories as a kid of my mom & the neighbor mom hanging out all day with me & the neighbor kids - all of us making won ton like crazy. More traditional chinese style won ton or course, but we made hundreds in a day before a big block party.

I'll have to pick up some won ton sheets - they really do make phenominal finger foods - and you can do so much with 'em!

Joyner’s Jumbo Lump Crab Dip Recipe​

Ingredients:
1 Large Round loaf of bread of your choice (bests: Sourdough, Italian/Rustic bowls)
1 package (8oz) of Philly Cream Cheese (traditional rectangle)
1 package (8oz) of Sour Cream
4 tablespoons of onion (I use Vidalia)
4 tablespoons of bell pepper (any color of your choice – I use red or orange)
2Tbs of Milk
1 pound of Jumbo Lump Crab; Note: you can substitute this with clams, lobster, or even minced meat for a different dip.
Crab dip seasonings:
1 teaspoon Worchester sauce
Zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon of lemon
Hot pepper (Tabasco or other) to taste
1 teaspoon of Joyner’s Tri-Thai powder
½ teaspoon salt
Tip: do some taste test prior to pouring and add more/less of any of the seasonings above to your liking

Directions:
- With sharp knife cut the top of the bread across for the top/lid –put aside
- Hollow loaf out leaving 1 ½ crust. Cut the inside of the bread into cubes for dipping – set aside in plastic bag so it doesn’t dry out prior to using
- In large bowl beat cream cheese and sour cream until smooth (this can be done by hand if you don’t have hand mixer/blender, it will just take longer)
- Stir in onion, pepper, and seasonings until well blended, add jumbo lump last to keep from completely breaking up
- On baking sheet make a cross with 2 sheets of aluminum foil, each long enough to cover the loaf
- Center bread shell on foil. Pour the mixture into the shell
- Cover with the bread top
- Wrap loaf with foil
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 45-60 min for mixture to blend. Note: I found 60 min works best but it’s up to you on how runny or thick you like the dip. The longer you cook the thicker it gets..
- Remove top and serve with bread cubes and/or raw vegetables

LunchBox’s Nachos de Carnitas Caused the Power Outage:

Carnitas:
A shit-ton of fresh garlic cloves
2 large yellow onions
A few fat ass jalapenos
1 pound(ish) New Mexico Hatch Green Chiles (Hot Sandia) pre-roasted
2 pounds of pork loin
1 can of Red Gold tomatoes and green chiles “hot”
2-3 tomatillos
A few limes
In a stainless steel vessel, heat some oil to “hotter than Salma Hayek in Disk ‘til Dawn”. Toss in 8-10 crushed garlic cloves. The irony here is the Salma/vampire movie reference in regards to browning some garlic… When garlic is cappuccino-brown, toss in one of the onion, and jalapenos…both diced. Sautee that for a bit on high heat until they slightly caramelize. Add pork, and sear on all sides. When seared, add sea salt, black pepper, white pepper, thyme, Mexican Oregano, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and lime juice. Then add can of maters/chiles…stir for a few minutes. Peel and dice NuMex Green Chiles, and tomatillos…toss those bastards in. Whirl it around a bit…then add enough water to cover meat, and toss in a couple spoonful’s of tomato bouillon. Let that simmer down on med-low for up to 3 hours. The liquid should reduce to a savory sauce that you will want to smear on your nipples. Turn off heat, and slice the other onion into ¼” thick rings…toss those in, and stir occasionally.

Salsa:
Fresh tomatoes…4-6 slicers…8-10 romas
2 tomatillos
4-6 cloves of garlic
On high broil, top rack, place the tomatoes, and tomatillos along with the garlic cloves. When the garlic turns dark brown, flip it. When the tomatoes and tomatillos blacken, flip them. When the garlic is soft, and browned on all sides, toss in a blender. When the tomatoes and tomatillos are blackened on a few sides, and soft, toss them in the blender. Take a fistful of dried chile de arbol and chile pequin on a foil sheet, and blacken one side. Toss it all in, and puree them a bit, then add a can of maters-n-chiles (hot), along with some onion powder, and sea salt. Puree til smooth, and add an ice cube or two. This salsa is supposed to be a bit runny.

Pico de Gallo: Dice 1 large tomato, half an onion, a fistful of cilantro, a couple of jalapenos, and a serrano. Mix them with salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and lime juice.

Refried Beans: Prepare dry beans per directions. Drain, but save “bean-juice”. Chop a few pieces of thick cut bacon, and toss in a cast iron skillet. When cooked, add a few cloves of garlic, crushed. After a minute, add some diced onion, and a diced jalapeno. When the edges start to brown, add drained beans, and sauté for a few minutes. Start to mash with a potato masher, adding back some bean juice to get the right consistency.

Building a better nacho:
Take corn tortillas out of package, and cut into triangles. Fry in oil, set aside to drain. Add beans, and shredded carnitas…top with cheese, pico de gallo, arbol/pequin salsa, and black olives. EAT.

*Best pics I can take...phone-cam...regular cam is on the fritz right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20130204_171133.jpg
    IMG_20130204_171133.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20130204_171630.jpg
    IMG_20130204_171630.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 90
I rarely get hunger pangs when looking at food. I see it for the quality of ingredients, preparation, etc... Rather objectively.

Lunchbox made me HUNGRY!!!!!!!

Now I'm jonesin for some damn nachos, and those, sir, look like some of the finest ones ever!!!

Stuffed Ravioli Chips

Dough
flour
eggs
salt
water

Mix ingredients rub with olive oil, set aside

Beef Ravioli chips
Steak ends
Red Whine Goat Cheese
Rosemary
Salt
Pepper
Chocolate Bhut Jalokias

Sear meat in 1 TBS olive oil with a pinch of Salt and Pepper, let cool.

Smoked Salmon Chips
Smoked Salmon
Ricotta Cheese
Oregano
Red Bhut Jalokias

Sheet the Pasta through Pasta Sheeter, place ingredients stacked 2" apart. Place 2nd sheet of pasta on top and cut into circles. Heat water to a slow boil and add a pinch of salt. Drop pasta in for approxataley 2 minutes. Remove and pat dry. Let cool. In Cast Iron pot add enough oil to cover ravioli, fry till golden and crispy.

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Red Bell Pepper
Fresno Peppers
Marscapone
Sour Cream
Lemon Juice
Pomegraniite juice

Roast the bells and chilies and cool. In bowl add sour cream, Marscapone, and lemin juice and mix. Mince peppers and add to sauce, salt and pepper to taste.

Roasted Green Pepper
Green Bell Pepper
Mascapone
Sour Cream
Lemon Juice

Roast the bell and chilis and cool. In bowl add sour cream, Marscapone, and lemon juice and mix. Mince peppers and add to sauce, salt and pepper to taste.

Plate and serve

raviolicut_zps38de6c3b.png

rovioliwhole_zps8827d542.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back