• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Bhut Jolokia from americanspice.com

After perusing the net for a while i ordered some whole dried bhut jolokia and red savina flakes from americanspice.com (i recommended they advertise with THP in the comment section of the check out...Lo and behold).

Here is a recap of my first experience with the Great Bhut.

I opened the container and there was a loose piece about the size of my thumb nail. Took a deep breath and popped it in my mouth. Medium heat, not even close to an orange hab, faded completely after 5 minutes. Started thinking maybe these were bunk bhuts. Had to run an errand...

30 minutes later

Took out a whole pod, bit off half, chewed for 10 seconds, swallowed. Started feeling the heat 5 seconds into chewing, by 8 seconds i knew it was gonna be craaazy. Told myself i'd feel it out and see it to the end like Neil of hippy seed fame, that lasted about 30 seconds. Ran to the fridge for the milk... $hit, only about 5 oz. left, held it in my mouth and threw a handful of turbinado sugar in my mouth. Relief for about 5 seconds. It came back worse. Spent the next 8 minutes tearing, snot dripping, head in a pillow, undescribable pain and regret. Finally starts to fade but still quite painful. After about a total of 12 minutes all that remains is a nice pleasant burn. Feeling much better.

10 minutes later

Belly starting to feel warm and uncomfortable.

5 minutes later

Crippling pain racks my stomach. I keel over into a fetal position.

3 minutes later

Cold sweats start, feeling light headed.

6 minutes later

Pain starts to subside. Eat a cupcake. Feeling normal again.

Wheeew...

The one on the tops the one i bit.
asbhut.jpg

UnNatural said:
(i recommended they advertise with THP in the comment section of the check out...Lo and behold).
Thanks for the referral! As you can see, they are advertisers.

AlabamaJack said:
that's a rough half hour...I ain't that brave yet....I'm Scairt

I wouldn't recommend it. Nothing about it was pleasant. Satisfied my curiosity, but it wasn't worth it. My belly still grumbling and making noises.

thehotpepper.com said:
Thanks for the referral! As you can see, they are advertisers.

My pleasure! Seemed like a no brainer.

ahah mate. yea thats what happens.

if you boil them down in your food and work your way up to eating pods it dont get so bad.. kinda

At least you didn't puke like i did from the scoprion. That was an experience i don't wish to ever have again. The splash back from the vomit was HOT and burned on my face....Trust me they burn worse on the way back up lol.

Txclosetgrower said:
At least you didn't puke like i did from the scoprion. That was an experience i don't wish to ever have again. The splash back from the vomit was HOT and burned on my face....Trust me they burn worse on the way back up lol.
=============================
LOL!!!!

Okay.....I'll admit I'm a little nervous about trying a fresh naga, scorpion, or 7-pot (thanks, txclosetgrower, for the seeds for the last 2).....and you guys have increased my nervousness a bit....but it's going to happen this summer.

I may live to regret it, but I'm going to eat what I grow. Else, what's the point? I chickened out last year....but have lots of dried, ground bhuts that I sprinkle on about everything. I look forward (with trepidation and respect) to my first fresh naga experience.

Mate, its not as bad as it sounds, i eat them all the time.. with everything...

Bhuts are very hot but very good... a good harvest of bhuts will last you all year long... you can dry them, roast them, cut them in half fresh than rub them on anything for a quick kick of heat, you can pickle them, Bhuts are great in pasta (my favourite) and soups of all kinds...

just a great pepper that goes a very long way...

staffing said:
=============================
LOL!!!!

Okay.....I'll admit I'm a little nervous about trying a fresh naga, scorpion, or 7-pot (thanks, txclosetgrower, for the seeds for the last 2).....and you guys have increased my nervousness a bit....but it's going to happen this summer.

I may live to regret it, but I'm going to eat what I grow. Else, what's the point? I chickened out last year....but have lots of dried, ground bhuts that I sprinkle on about everything. I look forward (with trepidation and respect) to my first fresh naga experience.

And we look forward to pics!:onfire:

krypt said:
ahah mate. yea thats what happens.

if you boil them down in your food and work your way up to eating pods it dont get so bad.. kinda

That's what i'm planning on doing. Well cooking with them that is, i have no interest in being able to eat whole pods for fun. Ground a few into powder and used that in my marinade for wings last night... that was pretty dam good!

Txclosetgrower said:

Jeeez-us! At some points when i was keeled over i thought about inducing vomiting to get it out of my stomach, now i'm glad i didnt!

Hotpeppa said:
... you can dry them, roast them, cut them in half fresh than rub them on anything for a quick kick of heat, you can pickle them, Bhuts are great in pasta (my favourite) and soups of all kinds...

that made me giggle...it brought to mind Bubba talking about the different ways you can use shrimp in Forrest Gump...

imaguitargod said:
What? The great AJ scared of the little ol' Jolokia?

yup...afraid to chomp a whole one...I will eat small slices but I don't think my stomach could handle popping a whole one in my mouth, chewing it up, and swallowing...I don't what to experience what TCG did when he ate one of my scorpions...

AlabamaJack said:
that made me giggle...it brought to mind Bubba talking about the different ways you can use shrimp in Forrest Gump...

LOL.

Bhut is the fruit of the land. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, bhut-kabobs, bhut creole, bhut gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple bhut, lemon bhut, coconut bhut, pepper bhut, bhut soup, bhut stew, bhut salad, bhut and potatoes, bhut burger, bhut sandwich. That- that's about it.

Nice Plug

UnNatural said:
After perusing the net for a while i ordered some whole dried bhut jolokia and red savina flakes from americanspice.com (i recommended they advertise with THP in the comment section of the check out...Lo and behold).

Here is a recap of my first experience with the Great Bhut.

I opened the container and there was a loose piece about the size of my thumb nail. Took a deep breath and popped it in my mouth. Medium heat, not even close to an orange hab, faded completely after 5 minutes. Started thinking maybe these were bunk bhuts. Had to run an errand...

30 minutes later

Took out a whole pod, bit off half, chewed for 10 seconds, swallowed. Started feeling the heat 5 seconds into chewing, by 8 seconds i knew it was gonna be craaazy. Told myself i'd feel it out and see it to the end like Neil of hippy seed fame, that lasted about 30 seconds. Ran to the fridge for the milk... $hit, only about 5 oz. left, held it in my mouth and threw a handful of turbinado sugar in my mouth. Relief for about 5 seconds. It came back worse. Spent the next 8 minutes tearing, snot dripping, head in a pillow, undescribable pain and regret. Finally starts to fade but still quite painful. After about a total of 12 minutes all that remains is a nice pleasant burn. Feeling much better.

10 minutes later

Belly starting to feel warm and uncomfortable.

5 minutes later

Crippling pain racks my stomach. I keel over into a fetal position.

3 minutes later

Cold sweats start, feeling light headed.

6 minutes later

Pain starts to subside. Eat a cupcake. Feeling normal again.

Wheeew...

The one on the tops the one i bit.
asbhut.jpg
It is true, he said we should advertise on The Hot Pepper. I thought I would check it out but I didn't think I would advertise on the site but, just after about 5min I knew this would be a great place to advertise. I can't imagine that the banner at the top of the page will help better than his experiences with the Worlds Hottest Pepper from www.americanspice.com. Thanks for recommending www.thehotpepper.com.

AlabamaJack said:
wanna buy some peppers?...roflmao... :lol:

welcome aboard SpiceGuy from Fort Worth, Texas

Ha ha, between you potawie and Cmpman there is an overstock of peppers in the world.

Back