• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Big Jim's Fabulous Pepper Adventures

What's happening everybody. My name is Big Jim and this is my first year attempting to grow a variety of assorted hot peppers. I am very excited to learn from everyone here and through my experiences. I wanted to document my Fabulous Pepper Adventures for everyone as well as myself for educational (and comical) purposes. Welcome to my glog and happy reading!

Hopefully rearranging our nursery will please all of our sprouts - especially the peppers :lol:

Here's a video:

http://s1052.photobucket.com/albums/s460/reflectthelight777/?action=view&current=20120302180328.mp4

Orange Thai Chili

20120302180101.jpg

20120302180116.jpg

Assorted sprouts

20120302180250.jpg

Humidifier

20120302180306.jpg

More assorted goodies :lol:

20120302180207.jpg

It's such a crazy story Meinchoh! I was looking online under the gig section of craigslist for some quick cash on a labor job or something and I came across an ad from a gentleman looking for some entrepreneurial type people to occupy his land for him - no strings attached! Well, since we initially met, we have become friends and we are all excited about this upcoming season. The farm is literally 5 minutes from our house. My wife and I are renting in the suburbs and it is our dream to have a farm some day and live off the land - so we totally see this as a wink from God and want to take full advantage of the blessing and learn & live the farming adventure!

Things still just seem to be falling into our laps with our greenhouse operation! I was looking on CL under the "free" section and I came across an ad for planters. The ad was posted by a man who owns a local garden supply store in town and he wants to give away around 1,000 planters ranging in all sizes. Needless to say I am picking them up today and I am excited to make some local business connections here in my town. Hey, maybe I will sell him some sprouts? .... Nah - I'm not giving up my babies until they are fruiting LOL. :snooty:

So we went to pick up the free planters today and got to talking with this guy about this old tiki bar he has in his backyard because I am interested in it for a roadside stand set-up to sell my produce from throughout the summertime. He said he would throw the tiki bar and some soaker hoses that we need in the mix for next to nothing (he owns his own landscaping business)! We also got to talking about the bamboo that we have on the farm property and he said that we could pot it up and sell it - people eat it up here in Jersey supposedly. So let me get this straight - FREE 9,000 square foot garden, FREE greenhouse, FREE 1,000+ assorted planters, practically FREE tiki bar and soaker hoses.... I couldn't have planned things out any better if I tried!

20120303135146.jpg

20120303135132.jpg

20120303135104.jpg

20120303140912.jpg

20120303140903.jpg

I'm gonna have to stop checking up on this log, because every time I do, I get more and more jealous. :eek:

Seriously though, nice finds! Hopefully you can put it all to good use!

I second the jealousy part but also have a lot of joy for you as well Big Jim. LOOKS awesome. You only live once man, you have to jump on opportunities when they arise! I wish nothing but the best of luck to you and your wife on your BIG CHILE ADVENTURE.. :hell:

WOW, this certainly doesn't seem to be your first year growing from seed. lol. If so, you're in the major leagues already. Hell of a way to 'start out.' :) Looking good. Oh what I would do to have that land/greenhouse. :)

Chris

After talking to my friend Melium I realized that I had planted my seeds too deeply. I initially planted them about 1/2 -3/4 inch deep! Thanks to Melium I now have all of my 288 superhots moved to about 1/4 inch deep with my strategic toothpick surgery tactics :dance:. It all started when I picked up the tray to bottom water and I saw all of these roots, but no sprouts on top. Phew, that was a close one!

Trinidad Moruga Scorpions are popping up :party:

20120307140852.jpg

The Chocolate Bhut Jolokias seem to be sprouting the fastest out of all of my superhots.

20120307140837.jpg

We transplanted 72 Orange Thai Chilis - "Moving on Up" :whistle:

20120307140922.jpg

Very cool. Looks like you're getting great germ. Rates too. Superhots seem to get a lot of helmet heads dont they lol keep up the good work Jim

Back