• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Breaking Bread

Started baking some bread for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner. Here are the first couple out of the oven.

image.jpeg

Post a non-fife bread, I dare you!

How about buckwheat pancakes, I love those.

Onion Bread  :party:

Two day ferment, Caraway, Rosemary, Fife flour. I added some starch to give it more chewiness.

7fEGkpj.jpg

M8gmCvX.jpg

xSif5hm.jpg

0wHGq9b.jpg

EphAOVB.jpg

Xby2HAM.jpg

Xa73iuE.jpg

0BS6Fyz.jpg

Einkorn Bread.

First time using this flour, the Original grain from all others, highest in nutrition, and have to say the best Ive ever tasted, a very full flavor unique to itself, highly recommended if you get a chance to try it. has a golden flax color to the grain.

75% Hydration
Self ground whole berries.
Kefir whey, 1tsp ACV to hydrate and ferment.
Added yeast on the third day.
Baked 425 for 25min.

Lots of on youtube about it. Perfect for wheat allergies.
https://www.einkorn.com/einkorn-history/

YuTUXOa.jpg

sjqcYvb.jpg

jZMVN06.jpg

632bcCx.jpg

93GXPGB.jpg

SF4tv90.jpg

jKkQbQc.jpg

Emmer Flour Bread.
Another new one trying, Ancient grains great for people with wheat allergies.

My standard three day ferment and 75% hydration.
Great sandwich bread, neutral flavor so it does not dominate.

El5rUt9.jpg

oULbyng.jpg

I often bake bagels, but haven't tried a sourdough until now. Glad I did - it didn't turn out too badly for the first attempt (certainly was tasty!):

sourdough-1.jpg

sourdough-2.jpg

Next time I'm going to try and get the wheat ear artwork to be more realistic...  ;)

Today some black olive sourdough. This one is very tasty - it's not going to last long... (and I got a good ear on this one.)

sourdough-3-1.jpg

There are some great piment (chili/hot) olives available here in Nice. I'm definitely going to try them next time around - they should make an awesome loaf.
(Today was a bit of an accident in that I found a packet of olives in the fridge that needed using and thought "why not?")

I was also looking at different grains/flours in the local organic supermarket - some interesting options. So far I've just been getting my eye in for consistency. Do you have any favourites?

Back