• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Breaking Bread

Started baking some bread for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner. Here are the first couple out of the oven.

image.jpeg

Baking a sourdough loaf today and a 2/3 whole wheat sourdough loaf tomorrow. I just mixed up the whole wheat loaf and will let it sit until tomorrow afternoon when I will bake it. 

Edit: instead of the usual baking bread in my C.I. Dutch Oven I'm trying it today on my pizza baking stone to see if I like it that way. 

If you guys have a decent blender you can grind flour in their. Bobs Red Mill Flours like buckwheat is about $7/lb here, I buy a 25lb ORGANIC BUCKWHEAT GROATS, hulled for $35 cad.
Does not take long to burn through it when one uses it regularly.

dragonsfire said:
If you guys have a decent blender you can grind flour in their. Bobs Red Mill Flours like buckwheat is about $7/lb here, I buy a 25lb ORGANIC BUCKWHEAT GROATS, hulled for $35 cad.
Does not take long to burn through it when one uses it regularly.

Blender and juicer, two gadgets I haven't purchased yet!

SavinaRed said:
Are you mixing,making and kneading your bread by hand or with a mixer ?  I've always done it by hand but the last 3 times I have used my wife's Kitchen Aid and I'm getting spoiled lol.

Have only done por los manos so far ...

1010 uses a Kitchenaid though, too, I believe ...

SavinaRed said:
Baking a sourdough loaf today and a 2/3 whole wheat sourdough loaf tomorrow. I just mixed up the whole wheat loaf and will let it sit until tomorrow afternoon when I will bake it. 

Edit: instead of the usual baking bread in my C.I. Dutch Oven I'm trying it today on my pizza baking stone to see if I like it that way. 

Sorry I missed this yesterday, but I do all my loaves on the pizza stone.  Will you be covering with a stainless steel bowl?  I like the results with that even better.  

tctenten said:

Sorry I missed this yesterday, but I do all my loaves on the pizza stone.  Will you be covering with a stainless steel bowl?  I like the results with that even better.  
yesterdays loaf I left uncovered and the results were ok. Today I will cover it for the first 20 minutes with a C.I. Dutch Oven. I do not have a SS bowl lol. I might have to go buy one today haha. 

It has a nice crumb and tastes great so it passed the test . I'll have to make my next loaf when the feeding is at it's peak with activity. I think I waited to long which is why it didn't rise like I had expected .

Attachments

• IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 58
Back