• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Brisket, beer can chicken & deer sausage

I've been taking full advantage of this nice spring weather & smoking the hell out of anything and everything. This weekend some friends & I smoked a brisket, a beer can chicken, some deer sausage & some corn.

The brisket was hit with a simple dry rub of ancho chile, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, "hot" new mexico green chile powder, and a pinch of cumin. Mop was 3 parts apple juice 1 part cooking oil applied with spray bottle every 45 minutes or so.

Chicken got a garlic herb store bought dry rub , some butter & sliced garlic under the skin with a paulaner hefeweizen stuck up its arse. Was fresh out of cheap beer & couldn't buy it before noon (thanks to retarded state liquor laws) so had to bust out the good stuff.
weYInHX.jpg

Chicken came off after a couple hours & finished in the oven @ 350 to get the skin nice and crisp. It came out nice and moist, even the breast meat. Unfortunately it was picked clean before I could even pull out my camera.

Brisket was on the smoker @ 225F-240F for about 8 hrs (pulled it at 165F) & then wrapped in foil and finished in the oven @ 225F til it hit 195F. The brisket shed a pretty good bit of juice while it was wrapped up in foil, but even so the meat stayed good & moist.

Wrapped it in towels & set it in the cooler to rest for as long as we could stand it which was about an hour. Finally sliced it up & ate til the itis set in & I could no longer wield a fork.

Check out that smoke ring:
PZIpemV.jpg

Topped it off with some homemade habanero BBQ sauce.... :D

LPlBs2S.jpg

Spring? SPRING???? Its been 30 degrees that past few mornings up here!
Please send the south wind back with some of that warmth!

Mighty good looking brisket you have there! Corn looks like good eats too! Way to go man, feast style! :P

Disclaimer: Not knocking it!
You don't spray or mop brisket? Just wondering, everyone does it different, the final product looks good but on the rack it looks like it is begging for moisture. I like to spray and keep the meats moist with apple juice or various concoctions and it doesn't disrupt the bark like a mop does.

PS. Why did you finish in the oven and not on the smoker?

Disclaimer: Not knocking it!
You don't spray or mop brisket? Just wondering, everyone does it different, the final product looks good but on the rack it looks like it is begging for moisture. I like to spray and keep the meats moist with apple juice or various concoctions and it doesn't disrupt the bark like a mop does.

PS. Why did you finish in the oven and not on the smoker?

Lol in the 1st post it lists the mop/spray: 3 parts apple juice & 1 part oil. Pic was taken when the door was off to give it another spray. You can even see the spray bottle in the pic :D

And the reason for the oven was I figured after wrapping it in foil the smoke has done all the good it can do & I was just tired of fighting the wind to maintain temperature outside. Also all my friends were ready to get their asses whipped in a board game & I had to be inside to deliver the beating.

LOL. See I knew you'd have logical answers, cuz it ended up looking damn good.

And :doh: missed the mop.

BBQ tip 7654: Take the pics when it it glistening, not right before you spray lol.

Man I can't believe none of you called me out on that BBQ sauce pic. Took me a solid 10 min to dig that thing up & not a single bite. :snooty:

Bwahahaha. A floater. You bastard. Yeah, I missed that.

That's the original pic, so yup, lol, Dr. Pepper sauce with floater hab for just a little heat LOL.

Did another brisket this weekend for Father's Day. A giant 14.5 pounder. I've finally got my technique down to getting these things to be fork tender. I smoked this one for 9 hours at 250 degrees until the inside of the meat was 170-180F then I pulled it, wrapped it in foil & stuck it in the oven at 250 F until the internal temp reached 205.

Now here's the part I've figured out for getting it tender: After getting the meat to 205F I drop the oven down to 205F & cook the meat until it's done. This can take up to another 2 hours. I decide when it's done by feeling for tenderness, not by temp. The meat gets kinda jiggly once all the fat has rendered.

After all that I wrap it back up then wrap it in towels & let it rest in the cooler as long as I can stand it. 

Whipping up a bit of dry rub
dDOqMvR.jpg

GQ6FhzW.jpg

Been on for about 2 hrs at this point

DaU15y6.jpg

My little bro was dying to help so I let him do the spraying

oL6hjCl.jpg

Been on about 5 hours at this point

BfuEdPM.jpg

BBQ was smelling so good a state trooper had to pull this guy over to get a better look

9b7CW4z.jpg

Forgot to get a pic of it all sliced up but here's what it looked like plated the next day. Super moist & pulls apart easily with a fork:

49FzpNu.jpg

Back