• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Buddy's Ferments - 2016 Season Has Started

Here they are . . . not sure how they will end up, but it looks like they are all off to a good start:

DSC_1081.JPG

DSC_1083.JPG

DSC_1084.JPG

DSC_1085.JPG

DSC_1086.JPG

DSC_1087.JPG

DSC_1088.JPG

Processed Ferment #1.  I'm happy with the results.  Ran it through a food processor and then through a food mill.  I did not cook this - pH was 3.4.  Really a nice color to the sauce.  Starts off with a bit of a sweet flavor from the manzanos and the carrots and a noticeable flavor of garlic.  After a few seconds you start to get some heat from the yellow 7s - not an incredibly hot sauce - maybe a 5/6 of 10.  I will use this sauce on poultry and/or fish.  It will also be good as a general hot sauce.  Overall, I am happy - I did not know what to expect as this was my 1st ferment.

DSC_1083.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Processed Ferment #2.  I'm really digging on this one.  Same process as on ferment #1 - ran it through food processor and food mill.  Did not cook - pH 3.4.  Really nice color on this one too.  Great taste - jalapenos really come through with the garlic in the background - almost has a citrusy/acidic flavor going on.  I will make this one again.

DSC_1084.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

Done processing until after the Holidays!

TJP

buddy said:
...Did not cook...

Sorry buddy, this just dawned on me. If you didn't cook the sauce and kill the LAB, fermentation will continue, allbeit slower. If you have any sugars left at all, you might pop some caps, break a bottle, or at least have a spew when you open it.

Just a thought. What say the rest of ya?

DownRiver said:

Sorry buddy, this just dawned on me. If you didn't kill the LAB fermentation will continue, allbeit slower. If you have any sugars left at all, you might pop some caps, break a bottle, or at least have a spew when you open it.

Just a thought. What say the rest of ya?

Since it's not cooked it definitely will continue to ferment - albeit slowly since both of these ran about two months.  Should be fine if it's a fridge only sauce, but if you plan on giving any of these away store them in a cold place and instruct the giftees to do so as well.  Usually if I'm going to bottle any of my fermented sauces in woozys I will cook/food mill/bring back to temp/boat motor/hot pack specifically to keep them from popping.  All it takes is one time with hot sauce all over you and the kitchen floor.  :)

buddy said:
I now have 4 bottles of the rocoto sauce and 6 bottles of the jalapeno sauce.  I emptied the jars, cooked the sauce, and repackaged.  Got a bit nervous about the ferment continuing while in the woozys.

The good thing is a bit of time at temp won't change the flavor at all, the finished product retains its pH and it won't go rambo on anybody down the line.  Once we get past this holidays and into 15 I'm going to contact you for a sauce trade if you're game Buddy.  I like yer style and would love your feedback on a few things.  :) 

Chili Buddy, I like how you build the cabbage leaf topping on the mash.  I have had limited success with this method as the mash always works it way up and around the ceiling.  I switched to an onion slice on one ferment that worked well, but on my next ones I didn't have a high enough/or thick enough mash and it sank through, thus ending up in my mash.

You got any tips on this part of the process?

Greetings kjwalker,
If you want to do the onion slice approace....I might suggest trying a thick onion slice positioned horizontally beneath a bundle of cabbage leaves.
But the bubbling action during fermentation could very possibly still set the onion slice on end....and/or allow some" floaters"
My experience is that the cabbage leaves will still keep most everything submerged beneath the surface of the brine solution.... and everything above the brine is tossed in the trash.
CM

kjwalker said:
Are the cabbage leaves layered in pretty substantially?  Looks like it....
Yes....Pack the leaves in there(cabbage leaves are cheap)....it simply as a buffer area between the ferment solution and any oxygen that might still be present, and the cabbage will be tossed into the compost along with any and all floating particles. In reality...if you are using an air lock and have experienced significant bubbling action (ie., CO2-discharge) you will probably not have the slightest issue to begin with....the CO2 has already displaced the O2 necessary for growth of any undesired  bacteria growth. 
CM

Back