• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat ButchT is the hottest

Although peppers like this are cool, and I like that they are working on new strains (like the naga viper), its my opinion the bhut is kinda getting ripped off. When the bhut became the hottest, it was vigorously tested by different pods and different plants. From my understanding, the "average" heat was a bit over 1,000,000 meaning some were even hotter. Peppers like this one and the viper from what I understand were basically tested with a pod or two and claimed the title (in the case of the viper). I am not sure why the testing is becoming lest stringent but imo..until the others are tested in the same manner, the bhut still holds the heat record.

But, just think, the pods that weren't tested could have been a lot hotter than the ones that were tested. Just how many pods should really be used as a test base anyway, 10, 15, 20, more?

Alan

There's always money in the "new hottest" ... its political. But when you get that high in heat levels its all relative and what comes into play, and what (to me) becomes important is the flavor of the pepper.

I think trini scorps have a better flavor than the bhut, personal preference :hell:

Nicole

The Butch T's seem to have more of a straight to the point sting the tongue feel rather than a deep slow burn the mouth and throat feel like the Bhut Jolokia has, I find the the Bhut to have deeper fruitier taste than the Butch T but thats my opinion. It's hard for me to eat either one though, everytime I do I feel like I'm having an allergic reaction. Maybe I'll overcome that and be able to enjoy a bowl full of Butch T's or Bhut Jolokias with a side of Fatalii salad. :mouthonfire:

I have me a framed article about the ButchT from the Sydney morning herald!

I wonder if i can get it signed by Butch, Neil and Marcel :hell: Then i wonder how much Paulky would pay for it...Not that i would ever sell it! :D

2011-04-12110957.jpg

50 plants are on my list of the Butch... the only strain i have so many plants of due to the quality of this amazing pepper i am not surprised about Butch being on top, waite for the douglah test. :hell:

The Douglah could very well be a contender, i just got some sent to me from Neil as i'm not growing them this year. My tastebuds are going to HATE me this afternoon!! :mouthonfire:

Thanks Butch, save some room for the seeds that are on the way to you! My plant has roughly 80 pods on it at the moment and they are taking ages to ripen as the cooler weather moves in, it's kind of nice waiting though.

My plan is to wait until all the pods are ripe and then cut all the foliage off for overwintering leaving the pods on, should make for an interesting photo.
Don't worry Nova, I have plenty of room :)(and Thanks Mate!). It's starting to warm up here, maybe you could load your plants up, ship them to me and I'll grow them all of our summer, then I'll ship them back to you! We could keep them growing for years that way! LOL but of course customs may have something to say about that

The Douglah could very well be a contender, i just got some sent to me from Neil as i'm not growing them this year. My tastebuds are going to HATE me this afternoon!! :mouthonfire:

Make sure you let us know how you go!!

Im not going to be growing any butch T's this season but i do have some bhut, trinidad scorpian, and of course some douglah...

Don't worry Nova, I have plenty of room :)(and Thanks Mate!). It's starting to warm up here, maybe you could load your plants up, ship them to me and I'll grow them all of our summer, then I'll ship them back to you! We could keep them growing for years that way! LOL but of course customs may have something to say about that

That would be soo cool! They would get bloody huge!

I have a favor to ask of you Butch, will pm.

Agree with MMC...Testing seems to be a bit laxed compared to the Bhut but there is no doubt the Butch is hotter. Thanks for the seeds Judy.

I agree. My only point was that I am sure there are random bhuts that would easily it 1.4 or higher as well. It's all good :) and hot!

from what I understand about the Bhut testing that was done is that very few ever tested over 1 mil...most were in the 800,000 range...can you show me where you found a lot were tested over 1 mil? very curious...

Although peppers like this are cool, and I like that they are working on new strains (like the naga viper), its my opinion the bhut is kinda getting ripped off. When the bhut became the hottest, it was vigorously tested by different pods and different plants. From my understanding, the "average" heat was a bit over 1,000,000 meaning some were even hotter. Peppers like this one and the viper from what I understand were basically tested with a pod or two and claimed the title (in the case of the viper). I am not sure why the testing is becoming lest stringent but imo..until the others are tested in the same manner, the bhut still holds the heat record.
Out of endless plants on literally acres, only one pod, off of one plant, scored the 1,000,034SHU (or whatever that was).
The average Scoville rating of a Bhut is 650,000SHU (according to multiple articles I've read over the years). the result of the Scorpion was out of selected few pods. I'm sure somewhere there's a hotter pod. the Scorpion, like the Bhut, is a stable variety.

I ate a butchT today, was scorching but second time doing it. Second time was so much easier, just a few tears and a lot of pain and the endorphin rush. Not your everyday pepper but was amazing! Processing a video of it now :)

Back