• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Can you eat a Habanero straight??

Skyjerk said:
I have eaten a whole Caribbean Red Habanero (just last week) but I'm not gonna pretend I enjoyed the experience. I did not enjoy it. In fact, it sucked and I am unlikely to ever do it again.

I did it because I felt obligated (cuz I grow em now), and of course I wanted to be able to say that I have done it here in the land of pepperheads.
Call it getting some street cred :)

I do not believe that anyone can eat entire superhots, Naga's etc, and actually claim that they enjoy it.

I believe that they may enjoy the idea that they do it, and the notoriety that may come from doing it, but not the actual doing.

Just give Neil a Holla !... he would eat a tablespoon of battery acid and say ' yum, this is great ! tastes a bit fruity..applish, but yay yum '

he's done it all and loves it !

:lol:

Yeah, i can and have eaten a whole hab right from the garden. Was it easy? Yeah. Was it fun? Also yeah. Did it hurt? Whole lot of yeah! Would i do it again? Yeah, if i was feeling froggy i might jump.

Now, i'm not sure about the naga. I have some growing now. Ask me next month. I'm pretty much petrified of them, though i am dying to cook with them.

Ok, I enjoyed the burn from the bigining of my tolerance to it's current MECHA level of tolerance. Pain's been a very large part of my life so I've always been used to it. Don't like pain, but it doesn't bother me as much as others.

When it comes to cap induced pain, I feel it's different type of pain so I really really enjoy the burn. It's a blast. We all know I've done the Naga and the bhut (still say they are the same). I've done it over and over again. I love it. For the record, I don't like being tied up or whipped.....I'm a slow and steady lover but like it dirty occasionally.....no donkies....

: looks at Sickmont's avatar :

Definitly, no donkies.

Yes, I can. And I actually enjoy the taste & heat of habaneros. Let me qualify that by saying that the ones I get are from supermarkets & probably aren't as hot as homegrown. I'm not certain of that, just a guess. And I have also found that heat varies somewhat from pepper to pepper. Some habs give me great flavor & great (but enjoyable) burn. Others leave me gasping for breath. But, I still eat them. Granted, most of my hab consumption is from chopping them up & putting them in food, but still.

Yes, I can eat a habanero straight--I just don't. I like the way they taste with food so that's the way I eat them.

Alan

I've never eaten an entire hot pepper of any kind at once. I do enjoy eating a piece of one each time I make something with any type of pepper. It's become a standard to me to try a piece each time.

I love to cook. I learned from a world class Chef, many, many years ago. One of the things a person who is going to cook for a living must do is learn how to judge how something will taste when combined with other foods or when cooked in a particular manner. "Tasting" a recipe by reading it is a MUST for any professional cook. To gain this ability, you have to become intimately familiar with each type of food as it tastes in very exact circumstances. That includes raw in many cases such as peppers.

My tolerance is pretty high, but not so much that I would enjoy an entire pepper of any kind. It would be a sensory overload to me. I'll stick with a piece of each one as I use them.

On another aspect of the "eating whole peppers" thing, there are a lot of different types of people out there. Some like to eat certain foods more than other people enjoy eating them. My God, look at Chocolate, Wine, individual types of meats as well as thousands of others. There are people who simply LOVE certain types of food or food that is cooked in a particular manner.

It's not strange or even uncommon. I mean really, who would think that you'd find people who LOVE to eat whole hot peppers on a group that is available world wide and NAMED "The Hot Pepper"???

hehe, actually, I'm surprised that there isn't more than there is on the group. It's obviously a magnet for those who enjoy this particular type of food more than others.

Good luck to all of you! I'm glad that there is so many types of people in the world. It keeps it interesting!!!!

Most of my pepper usage is in the rice dishes I enjoy so much. I do put a lot of them in some dishes. I love the flavor and the heat.

Necrocannibal said:
Not mixed in any foods or anything just straight up eat one.

This question arose in my head as I'm sitting here munching on Habs for lunch. Obviously I can.

Welcome to The Hot Pepper, most of the members here believe Tabasco is only a cheap mouthwash when they run outa Listerine, and Jalapenos they snack on as candy. I gotta admit I am not in there league, they just let me hang out here and ask dumb questions. And be careful of imaguitargod, that boy isn't sane ;) .

Actually had 1`st orange of the season last night.Damn near killed a friend of mine when he bit into a red. Ate half a block of cheese afterwards but better than cleaning out my beer fridge.! Ate 1 of my reds last yr and decided not again better in jerky and food.

Skyjerk said:
No offense, but in spite of that fact, I will still stand by my opinion :)

I will qualify it by saying that if there are folks out there that experience a Naga Morich like you or I might feel a jalapeno, then they did indeed suffer a lot before reaching that point, or there is something the matter with their ability to feel pain. :)

If they feel it all and started out enjoying that level of burn right off the bat, then they prolly also enjoy being tied up and whipped :hell:

Hey, some people in the world do like that kind of stuff:lol:. It's not my thing, but I've always had a high pain tolerance. I remember one time I stabbed myself in the thigh with my hunting knife by accident. 2 inches deep to the bone,and an inch wide. What did I do. Walk upstairs to who is now my wife. Smoke a cigarette and calmly tell her I needed to go to the ER. She said.....Bull FU@#ing shit prove it. Well, I dropped my pants and her eyes bulged out of her head. (Well.......I know I opened the door for something else, but not that this time.LOL!) We went to the hospital and I watched the doc to everything. There was even this kidney bean looking thing in my wound. He said. What's this little guy here? The dork poked it and it squirted. I was thinking. Well my vein you retard. I thought the whole ordeal was cool. I'm not right though. I still wouldn't intentionally harm myself though. Now about those orange habs. Yeah, they are definitely hot when they are fresh, and do give me the hickups, but I enjoy the endorphin rush I get from them. Everynow and then if I have some I pop one in my mouth.

Tippy said:
get the milk in Neil

Now Neil is a man with a tolerance that I bow down to!!! The hab I like to eat whole and is honestly my max without milk. However, I do get a REALLLY good endorphine rush. I want to eat a whole Naga too when it's ripe. It'll kick my A@#, but I just have too. Neil......milk.......I don't see it possible unless it's crystals or something:lol:

yea I can eat a orange hab pod w/o anything, I also do enjoy eating other hot chile pods fresh while eating other foods. but I'll admit just the pod alone its hot! but I can do it no problem. but I'd rather eat them with other foods.
I like to taste each chile I grow by eating at least 1 fresh pod, to decide if I like'em or not.

rabbit said:
Now Neil is a man with a tolerance that I bow down to!!! The hab I like to eat whole and is honestly my max without milk. However, I do get a REALLLY good endorphine rush. I want to eat a whole Naga too when it's ripe. It'll kick my A@#, but I just have too. Neil......milk.......I don't see it possible unless it's crystals or something:lol:

They kick everyones ass my friend..next morning is awful :lol:

Nei lthis question wasnt directed at you at all, you arent natural at all.

Hixs I ate one of the Carribean Reds you sent and let me tell you, an Orange Hab isnt even in the ame league as that pepper. That was a hot SOB.

Back