• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn grow 2012

Outside in my backyard are the remains of my 2011 season carcass sprawling all over the backyard. It is ugly! It needs to be reanimated and made ready for my 2012 season within 2 months.

Inside of course the season has began all over again. I am very pleased to say that I am only germinating 36 variety's so far this year. That is down 75 from last year. Pending some trades arrival from Finland, (7 more), that will be all. I have managed to keep myself out of the marketplace where the seeds tend to flow like white water rapids.

Here is my germ list for 2012;

Yellow 7 Pod Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Yellow Scorpion CARDI Saved seeds (me)
Bih Jolokia
T. S. Moruga Blend
7 Pot Jonah
Aji Yuquitania
Aji Lima Rojo
Murupi Amarilla
Cumari do Para
BGH 1725
Douglah
Inca Red Drop
Costeno Amarillo
Onza Roja
Charapita
Beni Highlands
Fatalii
Douglah/ Faria scotch b. X f1
Bhut Jolokia Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Cumari ou Passirinho Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Trinidad Congo Red Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Guampinho de Veado Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Yellow Scotch Bonnets Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Tepin
Espelette Basque
Bahama Goat Pepper
(Fat Juicy) piquin Smiter Q pods (Thanks!)
7 Pot Chiguanas Peppermainia
Inca Berry Peppermainia
Aji Amarillo Peppermainia
Lemon Drop Peppermainia
Brazilian Pumpkin Peppermainia (gift seeds, Thanks!)
Maule's Red Hot Peppermainia
Alma Paprika Peppermainia
Zapotec Jalapeno Peppermainia

Also a few Tomato's and maybe some Goji Berry

I also have around 60 overwintered plants. Here's a couple; Good Luck to all this season!

T. scorpion B. T.
Jan122012peppers009.jpg

Hawaiian Chile seeds collected from Hilo F. M. pods
Jan122012peppers013.jpg

Thanks Gary and SST.

Gary It did take awhile to germ the Cumari last year. Hopefully they will show. I wanted to say thanks for posting the RCW article. I've begun to buy hardwood chips.

Yes SST I do! I've got a few more seeds germinated to add to the list of now 48, which is still less than half of last years varieties. i am fairly certain that I will scale way back next year.
Brown Bhut Jolokia Pepperlover
CGN 22207 Chocolate Hab
Chilhualcle Amarillo
Purple Flash
Brazilian White
Hatch Coworker?
CGN 23258 Arupopo
Chaco Yellow Arupopo
Limo Arupopo
Cap 1546
Murupi Amarella

Here is the 2012 yearbook class photo. I shouldn't have more than another dozen. There are tomato's and Goji berry mixed in here.
Good day everybody!
DIpeppersFeb192012014.jpg

Thanks S. S. Tupperware!
I found a few survivors in my backyard today. Two Tepin's have new growth on them and a Chaco. These were in pots and not protected at all. I'm not sure what our low temp has been this winter. I don't believe it's been below 28F.

Mike
overwinters2012003.jpg

overwinters2012001.jpg

Those tepins are way cool. They must be tough to handle
that temperature. Will be interesting to see how they produce.
I would think a lot!

Really beautiful grow Mike!

I've got 6 seedlings of native Austin Tepin going, seeds from Smiter Q (Brian). They actually started easier than the CPI Tepins.

I'm excited right now, 'cause I just found a hook from one of your Cumari do Para seeds...That's 22 days since sowing.

Oh, and as Pepper-Guru says, for using the hardwood chips, I thank you and the Earth thanks you!

Prodigal Son, yes we did have a mild winter this year. The tepins I grew last year came from the pods shown below. Those plants, which were on property near Rockdale, Texas endured a 72 hour period in that winter where the temp never rose above 27F. I think the low temp of the period was around 19 or 20. They don't look to bad considering!
photo4.jpg

TigerandTepins009.jpg

Thanks PaulG, yes I hope they produce plenty. I made a jam last year with these and can't wait to do it again in about an hour!

Gary, thanks for the kind words as always. I'm very happy you got one of the Cumari's up. I gave up on them cause I have one overwintered plant. Next year I will buy some new seed stock from Beth I think. The Piquin like pods that Smiter Q shared with me did germinate quite easy. I loved the juicy thick flesh. I called them Fat juicy Piquin.

I moved all my overwinters outside today and did some yard cleaning. Here are some pics from that. Also, Today I met Cory_Huck as I took a 2nd year plant to his house. He and his family and friends are very nice people. He shared some of his buddy's(hydro shop) nutrients with me for which I am grateful. As it turns out I took the wrong plant to his house. I felt like such an idiot. Very embarrasing. I will get him the correct plant soon.
My daughter enjoyed placing these statues last year.
Feb262012peppers006.jpg

Feb262012peppers008.jpg

Feb262012peppers007.jpg

Overwintered plants outside. It should be warm the next 7 days. Next weekend if the 7 day forecast looks ok I might put some of these in the raised beds.
Feb262012peppers013.jpg

I would really love to try some of those tepins, as an overwintering experiment :) I think they might be able to survive outside here in our winters also. Any chance?

Millworkman, I have about a dozen of them started for this year. I could mail you a couple of them (plants) once their stable enough for travel, and hardened off. They are still in the grow box. I can send you a pic of them if you like. I have plenty of the origional 2010 seeds as well as my last years 2011 seeds. I germinated from both this year.

Mike

Glad the weather is cooperating Mike. Those overwinters will hopefully produce for you before it gets hot. A mild summer and winter in the same year? I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Beautiful photos, as always, Mike. I love the mood that your daughter's statuary sets, along with the stark, clean winter light...

So when a native Texan says "piquin" or "chile piquin" I assume he is referring to the wild variety "chiltepin." The little round ones, rather than the semi-wild, oblong "pequin." Did I make a wrong assumption about Brian's chiles? Are the "Fat Juicy Piquins" round or oblong?

Is he around? Haven't seen him in a while.

Have a good week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the other 5 Cumari! It would be so cool to have a row of 6 of those...

Thanks Gary and Prodigal!

Gary, there is a wide variety in word usage around Texas regarding the Tepins and Pequins/ Piquins. My preference is Tepin for the small round "native" central Texas chile, which is also called Chiltepin. The Pequins (elongated or oval) are also called chilepequins. I do not think the pequins are native to Texas, more likely Mexico with greater ancestry in South America. I suppose they all are though!

Brian, I believe has lost a family member as well as an additional family health injury. I believe he is in the Ft Worth area now. We have not heard from him for some time now. We hope for the best for he and his family.

The plant in Brian's neighbors yard is a rather fat, thick fleshed and juicy elongated pod. To me it is uncertian is it is a native plant. It appears to be most like a pequin. Somewhere I found images of fields of plants with big 1 inch long pods growing in south Texas that looked very similar. They were delicious and juicy, I was very gratefull to Brian for sharing them with me.

Good day everybody!

Mike

Mike, thanks for the clarification of terms.

I had assumed what Brian sent me were the the small, round, "native" Tepins, as shown in your excellent photographs up the page. However, I am now intrigued by the sound of these fat, thick-fleshed, juicy, bird chiles! I too, am happy Brian shared them with me, and am excited to see how my little grow of 6 plants turns out.

I'm also curious to know if the plant in Brian's neighbor's yard was an in-ground overwinter? Also, do you think the South Texas fatties you saw in the photo were capable of overwintering in-ground? Sorry to keep pestering you about these chiles, I'm just real compelled by native "landrace" varieties, especially those growing so close to home!

Thanks for the update on Brian. I'll keep him and his family in my prayers...

Okay, I went back and found the thread where Brian had posted some photos of the "Pequin" plants and their fruit. Man, these look really good! However, I'm still not clear on whether they overwinter in-ground in Central and South Texas...

Mike, I am so sorry to highjack your thread...When my garden begins to produce and the Cumari and Bahamian Goat Pepper bushes from your seed are turning out buttloads of fruit I promise I will return the favor! :halo:

Pequin111911ax800.jpg

No problem Gary! I believe Brian told me that the plant has been there a long time. It looks like a hedge! I don't believe the neighbor knows it's origin.

I will try to find the pics I saw when Brian first showed me the pods. The pods are somewhat darker red than the pequin's I'm used to, which is also cool!

Later Mike

Back