• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn grow 2012

Outside in my backyard are the remains of my 2011 season carcass sprawling all over the backyard. It is ugly! It needs to be reanimated and made ready for my 2012 season within 2 months.

Inside of course the season has began all over again. I am very pleased to say that I am only germinating 36 variety's so far this year. That is down 75 from last year. Pending some trades arrival from Finland, (7 more), that will be all. I have managed to keep myself out of the marketplace where the seeds tend to flow like white water rapids.

Here is my germ list for 2012;

Yellow 7 Pod Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate Cappy purchased pods
Trinidad Yellow Scorpion CARDI Saved seeds (me)
Bih Jolokia
T. S. Moruga Blend
7 Pot Jonah
Aji Yuquitania
Aji Lima Rojo
Murupi Amarilla
Cumari do Para
BGH 1725
Douglah
Inca Red Drop
Costeno Amarillo
Onza Roja
Charapita
Beni Highlands
Fatalii
Douglah/ Faria scotch b. X f1
Bhut Jolokia Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Cumari ou Passirinho Tonly pods (Thanks!)
Trinidad Congo Red Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Guampinho de Veado Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Yellow Scotch Bonnets Windchicken pods (Thanks!)
Tepin
Espelette Basque
Bahama Goat Pepper
(Fat Juicy) piquin Smiter Q pods (Thanks!)
7 Pot Chiguanas Peppermainia
Inca Berry Peppermainia
Aji Amarillo Peppermainia
Lemon Drop Peppermainia
Brazilian Pumpkin Peppermainia (gift seeds, Thanks!)
Maule's Red Hot Peppermainia
Alma Paprika Peppermainia
Zapotec Jalapeno Peppermainia

Also a few Tomato's and maybe some Goji Berry

I also have around 60 overwintered plants. Here's a couple; Good Luck to all this season!

T. scorpion B. T.
Jan122012peppers009.jpg

Hawaiian Chile seeds collected from Hilo F. M. pods
Jan122012peppers013.jpg

Here are some individuals to look at.

A fat juicy pequin from Smiter Q, Moruga Blend Scorpion, and an f1 cross Douglah/Faria
Mar32012peppers005.jpg

Trinidad Congo Red, Douglah, and Fatalii
Mar32012peppers008.jpg

Alma Paprika all with blooms on
Mar32012peppers006.jpg

Mike

Those are some pretty, happy babies Mike.

I've got 4 of Brian's pequins growing right now, but they are just little sprouts. I got so excited about that chile, however, that I sowed 6 more Burpee cells of them yesterday...I also started 3 more of your Bahama Goat Pepper seeds.

Gary, I know how easy it is to continue sowing! I have managed to stop with peppers and have sowed a flat full of marigolds. I've never tried germinating them before. Like to put them in and around the raised beds as benificials.

Speaking of raised beds I have one ready and placed five overwinters in it today. A Brain Strain, 3 Butch T's, and a third year Red devil's Tongue. All five plants received a dose of Great White nutrient with Mycorrhizae that was a gift from Cory_huck. Here's a few pics;

Mar42012peppers006.jpg

Mar42012peppers007.jpg

I have seen much larger stem's here before, but here is the Red Devil 3rd year and compared to a 2009 2nd year Fatalii. I like to use the old Grandpa Fatalii to motivate the younger plants! :cool:
Mar42012peppers002.jpg

Mar42012peppers003.jpg

It has a pod forming on it I saw today.
Mar42012peppers005.jpg

Mid March update; Nearly finished putting plants in the 4 raised beds. Have also re-potted several of the overwinters not going in the beds.
Much more to do this weekend. Hardening off is going well.

Nice weekend people!

MarchRepotting016.jpg

Fourth bed has been nearly filled and plants in tomorrow
MarchRepotting014.jpg

Today's progress
MarchRepotting017.jpg

Another volunteer 3rd year plant Dorset Naga
MarchRepotting012.jpg

Late March update; I have finished planting overwinters in the raised beds. I have mulched them and I am still finishing up the drip irrigation on them. I have potted up around 20 plants so far. Lot more to go but I am juggling a rain barrel project and some cleaning up for relatives next weekend. I have elevated all my pallets for plants this year. It is easier to walk through and around with less bending over. This makes me very happy!

Have a good week folks!
East end view looking west
Mar26th2012peppers021.jpg

West end looking east
Mar26th2012peppers019.jpg

Some chaos
Mar26th2012peppers032.jpg

Brain Strain
Mar26th2012peppers012.jpg

Grif 9197
Mar26th2012peppers011.jpg

April update;
First pod of the season came from this overwintered Chaco on the right side of the pic. It was a volunteer overwinter where as the one on the left was intentionally overwintered and cut back so the difference is notable. The small overwintered plant in the middle is Gundu Red. I am going to try to train it's sprauling habit to climb the trellis. It was also quite prolific the first year and is a common Indian dried pepper.
Aprilgarden2012017.jpg

Aprilgarden2012015.jpg

Here is a bed with a couple of Butch T's, a third year Red Devil's Tongue, a Brain Strain, and a couple of Purple Flash. Lots of buding and blooms but most dropping so far.
Aprilgarden2012002.jpg

Here is an overwintered plant with some Lacewing eggs. I usually don't see Lacewings until September. Links below pic
WildflowerandZilker213.jpg

http://www.rinconvit...om/lacewing.htm
http://www.gardenins...enLacewings.asp

Thanks SoCal. They are indeed cool!

Here is a 7 Pot Barrackpore in the overwinter raised bed.
Aprilgarden2012001.jpg

Wild Brazil overwintered
Aprilgarden2012014.jpg

Damselfly checking out my mulch. This is a female Kiowa dancer, Argia immunda
WildflowerandZilker210.jpg

Parting shot for the day, under the Papaya. See you tommorrow folks.
Aprilgarden2012024.jpg

Everything looks good, MIke! That was a a great
discussion about tepin vs pequin vs chiltepin!
Nice array of overwintered plants.

That last update has me drooling.
Your yard and garden look great!

Thank you Paul and Noah. Love the Tepins too! These wild's have a cool symetrical pattern they tend to follow when they are young seedlings when viewed from above. Each new branch is rotated 60 degrees as it goes up. Will post a pic when I can. When they are older they have that cool zig zag in all directions. Noah I am glad they germinated well for you and I hope they will survive your winter for you. They probably won't produce a whole lot their 1st season. I think I will put one of the second year plants in the ground to see if it makes it to next year.

I have a group of plants (48) ready to be plumbed for drip. Will start that today after egg collecting winds down. Happy Easter!

Unknown spider (could not see well enough)
WildflowerandZilker209.jpg

Very nice, love the wild life pics. Your Wild Brazil looks like my Cumari do Para. I am also growing a Wild Brazil, but it looks different - more like a standard chinense than yours.

Thanks Charles, I do enjoy catchings pics of the critters.

I have seen your Cumari do Para! I don't know why overwintered plants tend to put out small leaves initially the 2nd season. Some kind of coping mechanism I guess. You would probably laugh if I put up a pic of my Cumari right now. As the season progresses it begins to produce larger leaves.

I grew the Wild Brazil a couple years ago and did not get very many pods but enough to see they differ. Rounder pod sometimes small pumpkin like. Here is a forum link to the shape i refer to; Thanks Roper2008
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/23557-wild-brazil-harvest/
Here is the seed source, note the mention of the round pods.
http://www.rainbowchiliseeds.com/catalog/i189.html
Here is a comparison pic of last years Cumari and BGH 1725. Apologies as I think you've seen this pic. Pods are slightly elongated ovals.
Nov92011peppers082.jpg

I would love to know what members from South America think about this discussion that has been around awhile. Brito?

Good evening! Mike

Back