• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chicken husbandry ?? EGGS, FERTZ, MEAT - ANY TIPS?????

How did I miss this thread? Way back in the day I was being self sufficient and raised chickens. 200 a year for the freezer and 12-20 for eggs and just cuz they are pretty. All the advice on breeds is spot on, I had kids collecting eggs so wouldn't have a leghorn on the place...too flighty. Barred rocks, Rhode Island reds, Cornish cross, Australops all good meat birds as well as egg producers. Don't let barred rock roosters get too old, they get mean and tough. We butchered one for his bad habits and even the dog couldn't eat him! It looks to me like you have a good setup and things will be fine. We cleaned out the coop a couple of times a year, chicken poo is a hot manure and you have to let it air out or it will burn your plants. If it sets for a while it will be okay to use.

I really miss my chicks but live in a small rural town that doesn't allow chickens inside city limits. Actually is probably ok as my back wouldn't handle lugging cracked corn anymore lol. So my chickens are concentrated to figurines, plates, collectibles in my kitchen. I will definitely enjoy your pictures. Thanks for bringing up some great memories.

Chiliman, I tried to send you a PM about chickens but your PM box is full. I raise chicens and sell large brown eggs. I cant keep enough eggs. I have 17 laying hens and I also have 20 pullets (hens to young to lay eggs) that are eight weeks old. They start laying around 20 weeks old if you time their age to coincide with spring. These chickens pay for themselves (egg sales), provide me with food, and provide me with feritlizer to add to my compost piles. Its a win win deal. They dont require much of your time to raise either. I belong to a chicken forum and thats where I learned everything I needed to know about raising narrow eyed yard walkers.

Peace, Love, and all thats Good-El Pirata Pepper

Mjdtexan said:
Chiliman, I tried to send you a PM about chickens but your PM box is full. I raise chicens and sell large brown eggs. I cant keep enough eggs. I have 17 laying hens and I also have 20 pullets (hens to young to lay eggs) that are eight weeks old. They start laying around 20 weeks old if you time their age to coincide with spring. These chickens pay for themselves (egg sales), provide me with food, and provide me with feritlizer to add to my compost piles. Its a win win deal. They dont require much of your time to raise either. I belong to a chicken forum and thats where I learned everything I needed to know about raising narrow eyed yard walkers.

Peace, Love, and all thats Good-El Pirata Pepper

MHD, I would love that forum link, pls?

Oh, BTW - A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.

Mjdtexan said:
Are you really in South Africa? I told everybody at the chicken forum you were an Aussie. Dang it.

Oh, nevermind, I thought you were the OP. My bad. Looking forward to seeing your chickens.

Hey!

More chook pics and info, plz!!

Just had Buff Orpington recommended to me. Any thoughts?

Ian, WTH is happening with the reggylar updates, dood?! ;-)

Do you need to let your chooks wander around? I'm thinking of getting some but am a little worried my mini fox terrier will try and eat them.

Also can you set a coop in the shade? I was thinking of putting a coop between my mango and leopard trees.

Mine have fenced in runs that they go into daily. Dogs can not get to mine. Yes, you can put their coop in the shade. Its a good idea actually, birds get hot too. I have fans in my girls coop during the hot part of the summer. Happy CHickens means more eggs. More egg sales mean they get to eat. My girls feed me breakfast every morning and they buy their own feed. Cant beat that really.

You guys really should visit the link that Tex posted. It's a great site, and regularly has 400 plus members browsing!

huntsman said:
Hey!

Just had Buff Orpington recommended to me. Any thoughts?

Buff orpingtons are great birds, I have a few myself. Pretty, friendly, and can withstand cold nasty weather.

I also agree with the backyard chickens site. I am a member there, it has everything you need to know about keeping chickens.

Thanks, El Sol -

Bloody expensive over here at U$7 for a day old, but I think they will stay on the 'Have To' list...!

3009_cid_1_2835515436web57701_mail_re3_yahoo.jpg

Back