• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chicken husbandry ?? EGGS, FERTZ, MEAT - ANY TIPS?????

huntsman said:
Ah,

But imagine a chook, fresh from the oven that has grown up on fresh grain....and Nagas! ;-)

:drooling:

Man when i buy my own place (probably never as i believe the price of properties are HIGHLY inflated and i HATE banks). :D

I just got one of these off ebay

ch10303.jpg

Going to get some Australorp Hybrids a cross between the Isabrown and black Australorp.
They are supposed to provide the best of both breeds giving the chickens a good temperament and laying capacity. Laying an egg a day for most of the year.

huntsman said:
Bloody SHOWOFF...! :shocked:

Nah, well done, mate! ;)

I guess you use the little door to snaffle the eggs each morning?

Thanks,

I figured that by the time I purchased all the materials that buying a kit for $166AUD was less hassle. I'm assuming you collect the eggs from the little door as well.

Great price for a great little system!

I think the materials alone would have cost that and then you'd have to find a design, etc.. Nice find!

You get that in Aus or does it still have to be shipped?

huntsman said:
Great price for a great little system!

I think the materials alone would have cost that and then you'd have to find a design, etc.. Nice find!

That's the conclusion I came to, this will come flat packed just screw it together. No mucking around cutting wire and timber, no thinking about the design.

huntsman said:
You get that in Aus or does it still have to be shipped?

It's coming from a local supplier, I could have picked it up for a warehousing fee of $25. I'd have to organise a trip with my dad as he has a trrailer, plus give him some money for fuel. In the end I'm getting it couriered for $70.

So all up it's now $230, still beats me doing it myself. I see the supplier now does an extension measuring 2 metres by 1.6 metres. It costs $344 delivered, the main bonus would be we can pack the whole thing up if we moved. I'll think it over before committing.

Got 2 Australorp hens today from the produce at Bald Hills, they were sold as point of lay. Don't think they'll be laying anytime soon, the combs don't look developed enough to be layers.

Aren't they likely to stop laying over winter anyway?

My AusHen is just about ready to lay her first egg, but nights are already down to 12C...

huntsman said:

My AusHen is just about ready to lay her first egg, but nights are already down to 12C...

Not too sure Paul, I've never had chooks before.

LordViykor said:
I just got one of these off ebay

ch10303.jpg

I figured that by the time I purchased all the materials that buying a kit for $166AUD was less hassle.

Damn, I couldn't buy the materials for that sweet chook penthouse for that price. Excellent score man.

huntsman said:

They will keep laying through winter as long as you give them 14 hours of light. Just extend their day with a timed dim light bulb; an led light would be fine for this. It's the shorter days in winter that trigger them to stop laying.

Yeah, I was told 20 weeks, but I got most of them three months ago and have no idea how old they are! Lol!

I'm guessing they are going to start laying soon, but they all huddle together at night, so I imagine the eggs will be bust up anyway...stoopid birds! ;-)

Yeah, they like to stay warm at night by sharing body heat, but the egg laying takes place during the day.

Give em a little more time and they'll soon be providing a fresh breakfast. :)

Silver_Surfer said:
How old are they? They don't start laying until they're about 18 to 20 weeks old.

That's my understanding , I was reading somewhere you can tell their age by their comb development. The ones I've got still have undeveloped combs making me think they're maybe 12 weeks old at a guess.

Back