• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Chilidude season 2018

Last year was pretty much a disaster, the summer turned out to be a very cold and sunless thing, so i didnt get much of anything to eat and all my efforts did go to waste.

But i am willing to try again growing those chilis, so i am not giving up so easy.

I got two last year fully grown Hot paper lanterns, so they should produce some even if the summer is not so perfect, also will grow these from seeds:

Naga morich.
Bonda ma jacques.
Petenero.
Aji golden.
Aji erotica.(baccatum erotica)
Lemon drop.
Aji crystal.
Aji pineapple.
Queen laurie.
Locato.

This time around pretty safe chilis to survive cooler climates in my opinion, inside my greenhouse.

The new leaf of Bonda ma jacques:

I always inspect the newest leaves for any imperfections, if the chili leaves look this good in direct sun light you pretty much know the fertilizer mix is good enough for chili growing and my chilis will get only the good stuff, as second rate stuff is not good enough for me or the chilis.

This one was pretty much my start of more serious chili growing career in 2012:
Used regular flower potting mix and did not get too much chili in that year, at that point i did not know much of anything about chili growing in general.

This was the first year i started using coco coir+air-pots in chili growing:
The growing year of 2014 is still my personal record breaking main chili haul of 35 litres of pods.

This is my current situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS8lg70QWaM&t=9s

I was thinking of starting to make more chili growing videos in general.

I am currently trying my best to make the few already growing roots sticking out of the bottom section of the Air-pot to make the plant realize that there is something really nice stuff in the trays:

The green plastic screw is a good indication for the correct water level to make those air-pots sort of act like a passive hydroponics.

Aji golden and one of my Naga morich plants have really started to grow:

It only took them two days to grow from really tiny sidestems to a much bigger sidestems.

Hesi coco victims, let's see how will they respond when i changed the new fertilizer in.

Lemon drop:

Hot paper lantern:

40ml/10 litres of water=EC 1.3 and the color of the fertilizer is golden brown. I will start giving the full dosage of 50ml/10 litres of water when they go inside the greenhouse.

I do hope this is a working fertilizer for chili growing in the end, as i like my growing to be as simple as possible.

Chilidude said:

If you have a huge mixing container or perhaps a cement mixer to make it, it might not be too bad at all.
I find that mixing in a wheelbarrow or mortar tub with a hoe is quicker and easier. I used to be a Mason's tender, and that's how I mixed the sand and cement for mortar.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Chilidude said:
Something is finally happening with my chilis:

I see sidestems forming, they have been so slow to do anything visible for a while now that is pretty nerve wracking thing for me to figure out if i did something really bad to upset my chilis. :rolleyes:

I guess they where just teasing me and now they are giving me the carrot after growing enough roots in the big containers. It took about 10 days before they started to grow after i transplanted them in the final containers.
I think that's just an indicator that your plants are finally getting enough light to support axillary growth. Under my grow-light setup the axillary buds formed very quickly, but didn't start to grow out until the leaf canopy grew large enough to support the effort. Your plants seem to have arrived at it coming the other way. It's amazing how adaptive chiles are, isn't it? ☺

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

This is my Hesi coco Lemon drop using 40ml/10l of water=EC 1.3:

I have been wondering for a while now, why do the old leaves have sort of leathery feeling and looks and my plants have not grown like they should have been. Also the new grow thus far looked like they have this sort of suffering looks growing next to the window, but it looked like the Hesi coco plant new leaves started to look better than the other plants growing with the B'cuzz coco A+B dosage being 15ml/15ml to 10 litres of water= EC 1.3-1.4 range.

B'cuzz coco A+B NPK:

7-5-13

VS

Hesi coco NPK:

3-4-5

Given the growing place and the dosage/NPK value, i might have saturated the coco coir with too much salts and the water i am using in this apartment seems to have a have a lot of minerals in it, so as i have moved to this apartment just about year ago and thus not too familiar using this water for chili growing.  So the growing start to suffer in the long run because the plants are not actually using all the nutrients i have been given them quick enough before next watering session.

Remember folks it is not always the EC number that dictates how much fertilizer you need to add in the water for optimal grow, you have to take account how much the water have minerals+the growing place...So less is more in this case.

Changed most of the plants dosage to about 10ml/10ml=EC 1.2 to take account of the minerals already in the tap water and inspecting the results after this change.

This is all about the growing pains as a chili grower and you cant be too good at it like ever. It is sort of exciting to see that you can drive different fertilizers with lower or higher EC range depending the fertilizer used and they still give the same results in the end given the different NPK ratio.

Rainwater doest have these sort of mineral problems like the tap water, so you can up the EC range higher and you might have very little problems with the growing.

If all goes well and the Hesi coco fertilizer works with my tap water by just using this single bottle of fertilizer, then it is the one i start using in indoor growing atleast because nothing ruins your chili growing better, that the fact that you start doubting if the fertilizers you are currently using is in fact the right ones for you.

One of my current main missions is to find fertilizers that are simple to use without much tweaking involved and in the same time can produce good chili harvest in the end mainly with C.baccatum/C. chinense as they are the chilis i grow.

The Hot paper lantern using the Hesi coco fertilizer:

It started to grow very rapidly with the Hesi coco stuff, so it seems like the fertilizer might be a good combo with the tap water i am currently using. This is what i am trying to tell you folks, find the fertilizer that works for you and stick with it.

This Hesi coco stuff seems to be a good match for my particular tap water:

They took off like i just added rocket fuel in the coco coir, the new leaves are also nice and green too like you see in the pictures. Hesi coco NPK ration might not be the best ever for chili growing for optimal chili harvest, but if it works this good out of the box with the first try then who cares.

So that you now i have very positive feeling about this Hesi coco fertilizer and i very much like to see what is this stuff full potential for harvest too in the greenhouse.

When i dropped the B'cuzz A+B dosage to around 10ml/10ml, c.baccatum plants took off too so it seems like the dosage was not correct combined with my water and the stage of growing.

I am also cheating by the way:

Got really tired of seeing the C. chinense doing nothing and they really took off when i started using my 180w led growing light for 11 hours a day only two days ago. C. baccatum plants can stay next to the window, but these c.chinense need way more light/ higher room temperature to grow optimally than what they where getting next to the window.

The weather forecast doest seem to be too good at all for several weeks, so i am going to give the plants a little boost:

Mid may might be the one i will set up the greenhouse and start moving the plants inside if the weather starts to warm up by then.

If i can just keep them alive for maybe another week or so:

Soon they might become so big that they will form a jungle inside the grow room.

Back