• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Christmas Dinner, whats in your plans?

The Hot Pepper said:
What is 5 year aged pudding? :shocked:
:think:   
Risky search of the day...

well, TIL

Copypasta:

Christmas pudding is a type of pudding traditionally served as part of the Christmas dinner in the UK, Ireland and in other countries where it has been brought by British emigrants. It has its origins in medieval England, and is sometimes known as plum pudding or just "pud",[1][2] though this can also refer to other kinds of boiled pudding involving dried fruit. Despite the name "plum pudding," the pudding contains no actual plums due to the pre-Victorian use of the word "plums" as a term for raisins.[3] The pudding is composed of many dried fruits held together by egg and suet, sometimes moistened by treacle or molasses and flavoured with cinnamonnutmegclovesginger, and other spices. The pudding is usually aged for a month or more,[4] or even a year; the high alcohol content of the pudding prevents it from spoiling during this time. 

oh that sounds delicious   :sick:

:seeya: 

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
:think:   
Risky search of the day...

well, TIL

Copypasta:

Christmas pudding is a type of pudding traditionally served as part of the Christmas dinner in the UK, Ireland and in other countries where it has been brought by British emigrants. It has its origins in medieval England, and is sometimes known as plum pudding or just "pud",[1][2] though this can also refer to other kinds of boiled pudding involving dried fruit. Despite the name "plum pudding," the pudding contains no actual plums due to the pre-Victorian use of the word "plums" as a term for raisins.[3] The pudding is composed of many dried fruits held together by egg and suet, sometimes moistened by treacle or molasses and flavoured with cinnamonnutmegclovesginger, and other spices. The pudding is usually aged for a month or more,[4] or even a year; the high alcohol content of the pudding prevents it from spoiling during this time. 

oh that sounds delicious   :sick:

:seeya: 

Yes, that does sound good, even leaves room for modification as I dont care for raisins in the least.

Last week I ordered a 10 lb bone-in prime beef roast for Christmas dinner. My brother and I are going put it on the bullet smoker at a low temp with a piece or two of red oak until it's up to about 120F. And then blast it on the Weber kettle grill at about 500 unitl it's sexy lookin'. Yorkshire pudding, twice-baked potatoes and maybe some brussels sprouts for the sides. Plus plenty of Wollersheim Domaine Reserve to wash it down.
     Christmas eve will be a walleye fish fry thanks to my trip to upper Red Lake last this weekend. We'll be pairing that with American fries and homemade cole slaw. The beverage of choce for that meal will be copious amounts of Central Waters' Glacial Trail IPA and Ale Asylum's Off Switch.

MikeUSMC said:
Damn, dude! Even got the beverages planned out! ;)

My family takes cooking pretty fucking seriously!  :metal:  Everybody has a role to play, my mom's kitchen looks like a restaurant during the dinner rush. There's really nothing we enjoy more than absolutely destroying the kitchen and busting ass to get everything prepared and perfectly timed for serving a huge meal.
     My mom has always said that even if we spent all day cooking a Thanksgiving or Christmas feast only to just throw the whole thing out at the end, it would still be worth it considering how much fun we all have putting the whole thing together.
     It only make sense to try to pair it with the right beverage. Plus, all that wine and beer makes working off the meal with snowshoes that much more interesting afterward!

The Hot Pepper said:
I'm down for the fish fry but what the hell are american fries?

Kind of like hashbrowns but easier to make and better, imo. Boil some whole potatoes then grind or scrape them into pieces with a fork or watever onto a CI griddle. Press them down into an even layer and drizzle some oil onto them. Cook until brown and crispy.

edit:

tJIjtY6.jpg

XpyvHSI.jpg

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
My mom has always said that even if we spent all day cooking a Thanksgiving or Christmas feast only to just throw the whole thing out at the end, it would still be worth it considering how much fun we all have putting the whole thing together
That's awesome, bro. Sounds like a great family! All the best to you and yours, man
:cheers:

Most ethnic Danes eat the same year after year. It's either pork roast with crackling or duck with potatoes, sugar browned potatoes, red cabbage, gravy and redcurrant jelly. Dessert is called Risalamande and is served with cherry sauce.

It looks something like this (except for the bread):

julemiddag.png
risalamande.jpg

I forgot to say that Danes celebrate Christmas on Christmas eve, the 24th. That's where we eat the pork roast/duck and risalamande, dance around the christmas tree and get presents.

Risalamande is served with cherry sauce. The cherry sauce is eaten both warm and cold. My hubby prefers warm and I prefer cold (not like out of the fridge cold but room temperature). If you really want to pay through your nose Amarena cherry sauce is nice instead of the traditional one. 
amarena-fabbri.jpg

I've found this recipe for risalamande on youtube if any of you want to try it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3wQrNIyBk

Back