• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CMPMAN1974's 2011 Growing Log - Started 1/29/11

Well, I finally got motivated and dropped some seeds in my 162 count plug tray this afternoon. Filled up 100 of the spaces. It's always so hard to narrow anything down. I've got the seed tray on a heating mat calibrated to 86 degrees. Sowing so many individual varieties is always one huge chore. I kind of envy people like AJ planting 100 of the same variety.

I sowed a lot of C. chinenses, some wild bird types, and wild praetermissums and a few other wild species. There is nothing very common on this years' list. lol. :) Tons of strange super hot cross attempts from people. At least I've got a solid system now as far as spreadsheets and tracking.

I wish I had acres to grow all I want. I could really get carried away!

I'll start the Annuums and Baccatums in early March. I'm cutting way, way back on Rocotos. I struggled last year to get them to produce (well ripen) on time. I'm not a quitter by any means though. :)

I will be pretty much growing 100% in the ground this season. I don't feel like spending money on soil this year. I built three more 4' x 12' raised beds last Fall to add some growing space. I should be fine.

Chris

I think there's only one variety. It came to me as species either C. frut or C. chin. I wasn't sure so I guessed. It does seem to have more C. chinense qualities so far. I'm guessing you're correct. I'll continue to watch it. The plant is gorgeous nonetheless.

I recently expanded on the raised beds. I used to grow more in containers, but decided it wasn't worth it. We'll see how it goes.

Chris

What a huge garden, no wonder you can grow so may different ones. I am growing CGN 21500 as well but everywhere I have see it they list it as C. Chinense not C. Fruit. Does it come in both varieties?

Your plants are looking great Chris. :cool: Way to go with the raised garden beds too, you can't beat them.
That Purple Bhut will be most interesting to see when it fruits.
Also will be interesting to see how the CGN 21500 turns out. All the pictures I have seen of the plant and fruit look to be Chinense, but would like to get your opinion.

Micca

My soil is not as sandy as it looks. I have a neighbor who had a lot of extra sand lying around. I wheelbarrowed some over to my raised beds. The peppers LOVE sand in the soil it seems. It helps drainage too. The entire soil composition is little sand relative to other materials like compost, peat moss, etc.

Chris

Looks good Chris. If peppers are from tropical climates, then they probably do like sandy soils.

Not looking to be so hot of a season here based on growth rates. We've had great weather - 90+ deg many days, but quite dry. I'm pretty disappointed in plant size. Most of my plants have been in the ground 8 weeks and aren't more than 1' tall. Especially the C. Chinense. It's very odd. There are a few pods on them, but for 250 plants in the ground, it's pathetic. Not sure what went wrong. Maybe they don't like the sand, but the eggplants did very well so far. Tomatoes are worst I've seen them in 10 years. :(

I think I need soil testing done.

Chris

Chris,the CGN 21500 could have been a Frutescence X Chinense cross according to who I got the seeds from.
Some were pure and some where possible crosses.
It's supposed to be C.Chinense if pure.

First ripe C. chinense of my growing season. These are cool looking little pods from Brazil. Nice long stingers. Will taste tomorrow.

Chris

P1090456.jpg

Hi Chris, great pictures as always ツ

About your Chenzo picture, I'm surprised, I thought Chenzo was a black hanging pepper.

Description from Nicky Seeds :
C.frutescens
Chilli pepper Chenzo, bred in the UK, compact dark leaved Chilli Pepper with an elegant, arching habit and masses of Black Chillies which hang vertically under the branches. Chenzo is an ideal Patio plant, greenhouse, vegetable garden, mixed container or a windowsill. The small fruit (5-6 cm) turn from green when very small to jet black before ripening fully to a bright red. At any point through the fruiting season there are the 3 different colour chillies on the plant. Medium heat level.

Also, pictures :

http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/photos/grahamrice/images/29676/414x425.aspx

and :

51j%2BlbAT%2BaL.jpg

Other sources told that this hanging Chenzo is a F1 hybrid, I didn't re-search the internet pages I found last year when I was interested in Chenzo, sorry... Maybe you got seeds of a Chenzo F1 fruit, that gave you your "not real Chenzo" ?

R.

Those Biquinho Iracema peppers are really cool looking. I might have to try growing them next year. How do they taste?

Those Biquinho pods look cool Chris. It's hard to find unique pod shapes these days. It seems like everything has already been "discovered".

I got the Chenzo plant from a prominent nursery in my area. Maybe there are multiple strains of the same variety (not unusual). Or it could be a cross. It's more of an ornamental and has beautiful color transition from green to purple to orange to red. Flavor sucks. lol.

Loco is a HUGE producer and said to be ornamental. I think it tastes great and has nice kick. Not sure if it's a hybrid.

Tasted Biquinho Iracema.....incredible fragrance, nice flavor, no heat. Interesting for sure.

Rich, I'm doing OK. Things are starting to pick up soon here. I saw your pics of your plants - ummm... Redwood trees! Your garden looks INCREDIBLE. You do some amazing stuff with pepper plants.

This Pimenta 'Chris' used to be Pimenta Elisa from AISPES, but I am growing out 10-12 plants from my saved seed from the 2010 grow-out to see what comes out of it. AISPES picks a preferred pod strain and tries to stabilize it year after year. They asked me to remove Elisa from the name of any grow-outs I do from my own plant seeds and re-name it simply like I did. I'm growing the real Pimenta Elisa - AISPES as well. Pimenta Elisa has an incredible amount of traits and unstable for now. I really enjoy it nonetheless and hope to catch a freakish cross with purple leaves/flowers! Just observing the differences between my 10-15 plants is an experiment.

Chris

I got the Chenzo plant from a prominent nursery in my area. Maybe there are multiple strains of the same variety (not unusual). Or it could be a cross. It's more of an ornamental and has beautiful color transition from green to purple to orange to red. Flavor sucks. lol.

Loco is a HUGE producer and said to be ornamental. I think it tastes great and has nice kick. Not sure if it's a hybrid.

Tasted Biquinho Iracema.....incredible fragrance, nice flavor, no heat. Interesting for sure.

Rich, I'm doing OK. Things are starting to pick up soon here. I saw your pics of your plants - ummm... Redwood trees! Your garden looks INCREDIBLE. You do some amazing stuff with pepper plants.

This Pimenta 'Chris' used to be Pimenta Elisa from AISPES, but I am growing out 10-12 plants from my saved seed from the 2010 grow-out to see what comes out of it. AISPES picks a preferred pod strain and tries to stabilize it year after year. They asked me to remove Elisa from the name of any grow-outs I do from my own plant seeds and re-name it simply like I did. I'm growing the real Pimenta Elisa - AISPES as well. Pimenta Elisa has an incredible amount of traits and unstable for now. I really enjoy it nonetheless and hope to catch a freakish cross with purple leaves/flowers! Just observing the differences between my 10-15 plants is an experiment.

Chris
Glad to hear it! You always have the most interesting varieties, and I have always praised your genetics! Wasn't it you that sent me the White/Gold Bullets and Aribibis? Along with many others, but those were and still are the family's favorite here at the house. A good number of my new seedlings and cutting transplants got hit with some blight/leaf spot fungus earlier this summer. It hit about a month and a half ago with all the rain we have gotten, but the "drop" seems to be over now and there is new growth explosion everywhere, so we shall see. The mothers and all other veggies have done great so far. Keep up the pepper legacy man! Its growers like yourself that keep new varieties spreading the world!

Rich, yes I did send those White Bullets and Aribibis many years ago. I'm glad to hear they're so liked there. That White Bullet is an insane producer, but the tendency of the branches to crack is the only bad part IMO.

Thanks Patrick for the kind words. This is my favorite time of the year as well!

A few more today. Bastard pepper maggots ruin 100% of my larger peppers. :( See the brown rotted area. If I can't solve this issue, I'm done growing jalapenos and other types. It's really depressing as I like these types. They ruin 100% of those types. They are not like that w/C. chin as much or smaller types. Ruthless creatures.

Chris

P1090527.jpg

P1090532.jpg

Back