Coffee Roasters

grantmichaels said:
Please share here, if you do!

Will do.

I have to many hobbies(expensive ones at that) is one problem though.  The coffee I buy locally is really really good and ~15 bucks a pound.  I only go through about 1lb a month due to my work travel schedule.  So it would take me over 2 years to break even.  Thats what keeps me from buying it.  Ive been eyeing the kit for almost 2 years.  Same with the La Pavoni manual pull espresso maker.  Same with the Technivorm dripper.

My Aeropress and conical burr grinder and local roasted coffee is just so good, it becomes hard to justify spending money on anything else.

This is what I use, love it :)

8124%2B2WohlL._SY450_.jpg

SavinaRed said:
My son was telling me about a good friend of his in Nashville that swears by that roaster and has been using it for several years. Its on my wish list next year if I get into coffee roasting like I think I will as I'm OCD lol. I can't do anything without going into it all the way and giving it my 100%. 
yea thats how I am so I have to be very careful with things.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:  150qt igloo cooler turned into humidor with around 600-700 cigars...

Exhibit C: is in the guns thread.

Exhibit D: $4k carbon fiber road bike

I could go on.  I have a very addictive personality which manifested itself in a bad drinking problem ~ 5 years ago... Now that I dont drink anymore it manifests itself in spending money on hobbies that cost to much.  Growing hot peppers is the latest.

Like I said the coffee thing I have stayed away from the two big ticket purchases I have wanted: a home roasting setup and a La Pavoni lever espresso machine... http://www.lapavoni.com/domestic-line.php?idcategory=1

I used a stainless steel popcorn popper for about a year. It worked fine. A couple of the rivets came out, but I just replaced with nuts/bolts. After a while, the turning paddle started to bind, but I could always work it loose. You probably have one, but a long stem candy thermometer helps a lot. I only used mine outside on the side burner of a gas grill. The place I had at the time didn't have a vented hood. I would get the temp up to 500 before dumping the beans in, then slowly crank until desired level of roast. I used two metal colanders and dumped the beans back and forth between the two.

I later bought an iRoast2 (not made anymore). It still works, but is so loud I hate using it. Second crack is almost impossible to hear. It also doesn't hold many beans. I think the closest roaster to that one now is the Fresh Roast. I haven't used one, but read somewhere that they are quieter. A bunch of us at work pitched in on a Behmor roaster. We like it a lot. It's quiet, and you can roast up to a pound of beans. We've been using it for around two years now with no problems.

My 1st roast this evening with the 5 lbs I ordered of Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Kochere. It smells great I can't wait to make a cup in the morning with my aero press and then followed by my new pour over I got for Christmas.

Attachments

• roasted.JPG
    roasted.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 72
  • roasted1.JPG
    roasted1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 69
grantmichaels said:
they look nice!
I can't wait to try in in the morning. Here is an online review of the bean.

Washed processed Yirgacheffe is the taste of sunshine, botanical gardens, and happiness. This is from the Kochere subregion, which we highly anticipate the arrival of each year.  This area grows some of the highest regarded and most expensive Yirgacheffe beans, and this is Grade 1 coffee (highest grade) grown around 6000 feet above sea level.  This crop was packed in grainpro bags to seal in and preserve freshness. 
Generally speaking, Yirgacheffe coffees have a floral and lemon flavor — sweet, juicy, bright, floral, tea, citrus  (think honeysuckle, lemondrop, tangerine) -- and that holds true here, but there is an extra layer of flavors here that keeps it interesting.  The flavor changes as the temperature of the coffee changes, which makes every sip fantastic.  We downed our sample roast in record time.  Two of us suggested kiwi, one said melon, one said peach.  Citrus is present (lime, orange), and just amazing sweetness.  Because it is so sweet, it makes it incredibly easy to drink, and is perfectly suited for iced coffee and cold-brew. Best when roasted light, I follow the same profile as a natural Ethiopia, although being a washed process coffee, this Yirg takes just a little more heat to keep up with that roasting curve. I barely take it past the first cracks, a City Roast.  Just after the first cracks come to a complete stop and you've slowed the roast way down, I turn the heat down to where the bean temp is just stalling out right around 400 degrees, and I'm done.  There's no earthiness, and no defective tastes.  However, if you want to roast this as more of a medium roast you totally can.  It holds its sweetness even though it starts to lose its complexity.

SavinaRed said:
My 1st roast this evening with the 5 lbs I ordered of Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Kochere. It smells great I can't wait to make a cup in the morning with my aero press and then followed by my new pour over I got for Christmas.
What kind of pour over did you get for Christmas? I bought a Clever Dripper this past year and love it. It combines some of the best features of different brewing methods, pretty easy to use and clean up too. I've tried the more expensive Bonavita, which is similar but like the CD more.

once the kalita wave arrived a few years ago, it took the daily-driver slot at our house ...

i still aeropress, moka, or siphon from time to time, but Danielle mostly makes the coffee and uses the KW exclusively ...

Peter S said:
What kind of pour over did you get for Christmas? I bought a Clever Dripper this past year and love it. It combines some of the best features of different brewing methods, pretty easy to use and clean up too. I've tried the more expensive Bonavita, which is similar but like the CD more.
Made by Bodum. 

Attachments

• pour over.JPG
    pour over.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 68
That carafe is very similar to both the KW and well, the original gangster - the Chemex ...

I love my Bodum french press ... nice stuff!

If you can, post a pic of the filter/dripper when it's empty ... I like to see how they all "work" ...

grantmichaels said:
That carafe is very similar to both the KW and well, the original gangster - the Chemex ...

I love my Bodum french press ... nice stuff!

If you can, post a pic of the filter/dripper when it's empty ... I like to see how they all "work" ...
I have a bodum french press as well that I need to use with some of these beans. I also use the Bodum Burr grinder which ir great for various grinds. 

Lesson learned last night. My wife and son HATED the smell from roasting the coffee indoors. They thought it was worse that cooking a super hot sauce indoors. So now its outside for roasting my coffee which sucks.

Update- I've always been one of those guys when coffee starts to get warm instead of hot I have to either nuke it in the microwave or throw it out. This coffee tastes great as it loses it heat and slowly cools down. I will never buy roasted coffee again. :)

I just drank a cup of aero press and a bodum french press carafe of coffee and now I'm ready for work !!!!!

grantmichaels said:
I drink my coffee over the course of about 45 mins to an hour (it's a double, typically, but still ...) so I totally get that ...
Same here as I read the forum lol.

Here is another thing usually when I really get into something I join a forum and learn about things. This time I'm not joining one and just reading what I can find without joining a community. I really like the diversity of THP and don't se the need at this time. Don;t get me wrong I'm somewhat of a coffee snob but don't want to join another forum. Maybe its old age as 55 lol.

SavinaRed said:
Update- I've always been one of those guys when coffee starts to get warm instead of hot I have to either nuke it in the microwave or throw it out. This coffee tastes great as it loses it heat and slowly cools down. I will never buy roasted coffee again. :)

I just drank a cup of aero press and a bodum french press carafe of coffee and now I'm ready for work !!!!!
I agree 100% It doesn't go stale as it cools. Still tastes amazing! In fact you can often pick up many flavor notes you wouldn't have noticed when hot.

BTW, Ethiopian coffees are my favorite hands down. South America coffees are my least.

Back