Coffee Roasters

SavinaRed said:
Here is another thing usually when I really get into something I join a forum and learn about things. This time I'm not joining one and just reading what I can find without joining a community. I really like the diversity of THP and don't se the need at this time. Don;t get me wrong I'm somewhat of a coffee snob but don't want to join another forum. Maybe its old age as 55 lol.

Same here ... hence not using homebrewtalk ...
Scuba_Steve said:
BTW, Ethiopian coffees are my favorite hands down. South America coffees are my least.

Me three. I like Kenyan/Rwandan most, and Central and South American least ...

Scuba_Steve said:
I agree 100% It doesn't go stale as it cools. Still tastes amazing! In fact you can often pick up many flavor notes you wouldn't have noticed when hot.

BTW, Ethiopian coffees are my favorite hands down. South America coffees are my least.
Thanks for the info Steve !

I made a city plus roast with some columbian beans and the flavor was great. Here are the results from my barista this morning- Crema

Attachments

• coffee.JPG
    coffee.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 65
  • coffee1.JPG
    coffee1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 67
My first coffee roasting.
Just finished it and waiting for it to cool enough to put in a bag.
6oz in my popper, had to keep adding or it would spit out. Beans did not move much except the center till a little later I guess when they started to become lighter. Some "Burnt" ones, but will see tomorrow, might just pick the black ones out.
Listened for the cracks, initially sounded low like popping corn, then later high like a roaring fire, so Im guessing its the high pitch you have to look for. Would only hear the odd one now and then so I went with colour. The odd puff of smoke but in general not as I expected, could do it inside next time, did it in the garage and its -24c right now, probably colder.
I am surprised, they do look good :)

_1095356_Guatemala-1000_zps9immnvxy.jpg

Making some this morning, 3 coffee spoons, smells real good, (Making it as I type), Left it for 10 min, darker now. Initialy their was allot of gaseous exchange, floating grounds, now settled.
First taste, very nice, sweet, smooth and mild taste, a hint of bitterness trying to get out but stays smooth (no milk or anything added), can definitely drink it without milk.
Well thats that, never going to buy roasted coffee again lol, I just drank half of it, so good, can just drink it down in one :)

P1100040_CoffeeMade-1000_zpsaxk2owuw.jpg

P1100041_CoffeeMade-1000_zpse4jvclsn.jpg

Yes it looks like a nice Vienna roast which you get at or around the 2nd crack. Here is a Guatemala bean I roasted this morning for my espresso machine. 

Attachments

• guatamala.jpg
    guatamala.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 63
Just finished second batch, Decaf, 5oz 7min.
More darker ones. Walking into the Garage I could smell the first roasting, so I can see why not to do it inside, Garage had a light smoke about it.
So try it tomorrow evening. Smells good :)

_1115358_CoffeeDecaff-1000_zpsbzavooqs.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Just finished second batch, Decaf, 5oz 7min.
More darker ones. Walking into the Garage I could smell the first roasting, so I can see why not to do it inside, Garage had a light smoke about it.
So try it tomorrow evening. Smells good :)

_1115358_CoffeeDecaff-1000_zpsbzavooqs.jpg

I think your roasting too much at once.  I never get that much inconsistency.  All my beans look right about the same.  For my popper, 3.5 oz is the magic number.

I have 2 poppers one can only handle 1/2 cup and its 1000 watts and the other can handle 3/4 cup and it is 1200 watts. I pour just enough beans where it slowly moves the beans instead of fast moving the beans. I assist with a wooden spoon for the first minute stirring them. 

I use whatever popper I can get at a garage sale for $1 or less. I generally use about a cup of coffee bean. I let it go for about 5 minutes and then check it every minute afterwards. I roast for expresso beans so as long as they don't get burned i.e. maintain enough moister I'm pretty good.

Mine is 1500w, I started with 3.5 but were thrown out so I kept adding till they stayed in. I used a plastic tube on top to contain them and the base melted, so going to see if an old glass blender with the base off will work and then drop the amount to 4 oz. Having a cup of my first batch now, man that's good, hard to not drink it down in one.  Will report on the decaf one tonight. I can smell the bagged coffee in the living room when I get up in the morning, nice smell :)

The Decaf was great more bitter since I left the Burnt ones in, still smooth and rich and superior to the bought stuff, will pick out the burnt ones now I know worst case scenario if I burn them :)

Back