• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Coleus......................anyone?

I wish the plants would travel easy.....they are very fragile.
Greg

Here's a shot from the end of last season

088.jpg

These are the full sun coleus,.....I also have a shady grouping on the other side of my home

Greg

WOW! Very nice indeed!

Ok, now that I am over growing peppers.... Couple pics of my plants under lights. Trying to keep these guys warm and inside at night.
Mix of flouros and late day dappled sunlight.
2012-05-15_18-59-22_63.jpg

2012-05-14_20-31-44_285.jpg

2012-05-15_18-49-15_506.jpg

2012-05-15_18-50-10_842.jpg

Took some cuttings tonight.... Is it better to take thicker cuttings or will the skinnier side shoots work alright?

Hey J,

Thick or thin it really doesn't matter when taking cuttings. You do need to cut beneath a leaf node......that's where the roots start. If you cut above the node the cutting may rot before it roots.

Sharp looking plants!
Once again you have some varieties that I don't. My sister just gave me a book on coleus, I haven't had a chance to read it yet but the photos are beautiful....
......By the way the magazine is in the mail. Sorry for the delay , it's been crazy at work lately.I haven't had a chance to plant any tomatoes or peppers yet.....and there's fruit on both......................... :tear:

Greg

Thanks a lot Greg. I ordered 6 interesting varieties last night, and cuttings are alive still but no roots yet. I have a couple good spots for them. One spot gets 4 hours morning sun and the other gets about 6 hours of dappled sunlight later on. We will see what happens over time. The plants I ordered specifically say what type of lighting they need and size, so they will be easier to raise. The ones I have now who knows? What do you recommend for feeding to get the most out of them. No need for the apology.... You are doing me a favor. Hope you get some time to "veg" soon.

Here's a coleus update...

IMG_3491.jpg

The coleus border has Lysimachia ground cover and some late blooming Asiatic Lilies, which will be dying back soon. Once the lilies die off they will be cut back so the coleus could spread together and join hands
Her's some random photos

IMG_3482-1.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3483-1.jpg

IMG_3484-1.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3488-1.jpg

more shots later in the season...

Greg

I really like the ones with red/orange like the one in the bottom center in pic five, Very nice collection you got there. Out of the four ones I have, Coloring Book and Saturn have taken off like crazy, and the other two get sunburned too easily, even though the site said that Mocha Mint tolerates up to full sun. Might try to find a place to move them.

Hey Jessica,
Thanks for stopping by here to check this out. The plant that your referring to is a new variety out this year. It's called "Freckles"., I have 2 of them and as usual I intend to take cuttings off them at the end of the season. Most coleus will grow in partial sun, too much sun will bleach the variegation. The plants normally thrive in part sun/shade. Later in the season the plants adapt better with full sun as the light intensity weakens and the day temps lower to the 70/80 deg mark. Good luck with your garden
If you have a chance post some photos here!

Greg

Good to see you planted them that close Greg. I wasn't sure exactly how close to go, but I wanted them kinda bunched together like your pics from last year. The sun or shade has been a learning experience. I have 2 Kong™ in a spot that gets 3 hours of very early morning sun. They are keeping their color but growing slow. I have another bed in back that gets sun from 10-1. I have been snipping like crazy trying to keep them compact. What is a good fert ratio for them? Higher N?

Here they are. They are in this spot until they outgrow it. The ones in front get more sun. The red one you can see in the corner is my dad's

DSC00586.jpg

This is the one has barely grown and has a couple of crispy leaves

DSC00587.jpg

we carry alot of these at the nursery.

the only one i grow is wasabi... i think i saw it tucked in with some of yours

first time growing it, but it kicks ass. i'll take some photos of more coleus for the thread

Glad to see some people getting involved here. The ever inspiring PIC1.. Having some bug issues and bit of disease on a couple but they are trying to grow. Here are some crappy pics of some plants... I have to get some during the day that show the colors better.

2012-06-17_20-45-01_742.jpg

2012-06-17_20-45-18_252.jpg

2012-06-17_20-46-42_267.jpg

2012-06-17_20-46-59_859.jpg

Here they are. They are in this spot until they outgrow it. The ones in front get more sun. The red one you can see in the corner is my dad's

DSC00586.jpg

This is the one has barely grown and has a couple of crispy leaves

DSC00587.jpg
Your plants look fine, older growth tends to dull out. The new growth on the plants seems vigorous.If the containers aren't to heavy I would turn them a 1/4 turn every few days to even out the growth. Your plants will be very full and they'll fill out those containers before the end of July.

we carry alot of these at the nursery.

the only one i grow is wasabi... i think i saw it tucked in with some of yours

first time growing it, but it kicks ass. i'll take some photos of more coleus for the thread
Cool!.........any photos would be appreciated

Good to see you planted them that close Greg. I wasn't sure exactly how close to go, but I wanted them kinda bunched together like your pics from last year. The sun or shade has been a learning experience. I have 2 Kong™ in a spot that gets 3 hours of very early morning sun. They are keeping their color but growing slow. I have another bed in back that gets sun from 10-1. I have been snipping like crazy trying to keep them compact. What is a good fert ratio for them? Higher N?
I like to plant them close so they can support each other. Some have the habit to grow taller, I try to place those in the back row. You can always shape the plants in the front row to stay smaller. The "Kong" series are slow growers but the plants will produce extremely large leaves and the plants work well when placed as a center feature in a large container.Stay with a all purpose fertilizer thats higher in "N", since we're not interested in promoting blooms......just leaves. I use a powder thats dissolved in a watering can. "MG, Fertilome, Vigaro"..........the blue stuff.......lolI'll water the soil with it once every 2 weeks. Never at mid day for any plants, either early morning or at dusk.The plants you were referring to earlier fall in the general catagory of a "Standard" . I haven't trained any of mine to grow into one.......yet. But at a plant sale I'm involved in every year theres someone that strickly sells those "Lolli-pop" plants. Most have a woody stem and appears that it can take awhile to shape and would be a better indoor plant than outdoor. Only because it would need support from the wind. On the other hand, Hibiscus standards are grown all the time, but they need very little support if any. Someday I'll pick out the right coleus for that purpose. (small leaved tight growth)If you need extra plants, just start taking a few cuttings, they'll sprout in a cup of water within 2 wks. Small plants are always a nice filler within a small space

Thank you Greg,you have me chomping bad. Some of the plants I purchased were spindly and I have been working to keep them compact. I planted the taller varieties in back and have my fingers crossed. I will be taking cuttings for winter and plan on having larger,denser plants for next June. I gave them a granular that was 11 7 7 and will be giving them a liquid fert that is 7 3 2 a couple times through the summer. Your help is always appreciated. The "standard "is very cool. That would be a great houseplant.

Nice plants souf,the plant in the first pic is full sun? I have seen that labeled with a few different names.

Anyone notice the Kong coleus trying to flower more than other types? I have one that sets flowers in every spot I pinch it back. Maybe I am pruning incorrectly?

2012-06-25_19-29-27_429.jpg

This "store bought woman" is a Cracklin Rose. Finally starting to grow and put on some color. I know these plants don't look like much,but most of them were one "stalk" of a cutting.
2012-06-25_19-20-46_412.jpg

2012-06-25_19-21-08_558.jpg

I haven't noticed that the larger leaved coleus produces flowers any sooner, but the new leaf sets come on at a slower rate. Pinch the flowers as soon as they appear and the plant will revert back to promoting new leaf growth.
There's no incorrect way of pinching back, I cut off the new growth of every 2nd leaf set.
Give it time the seasons young the plants will start to fill out......in all directions

Back