• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Coleus......................anyone?

Those plants have made a great rebound Jessica. Warmer weather has mine really starting to crank. I see a tricolor amaranth in the back. Started some seeds for those a few weeks back,and they are growing nicely now. Keep posting your progress.

Looks like it is about time to yank one or two of these and transplant them. They really seemed to like having the container rotated

DSC00615.jpg
Jessica,
The plants are lush, why would you want to try and separate them? The container is filling in nice and proportional. You certainly have them in the right lighting conditions, they appear healthy and happy

Greg

Just a couple lousy shots. Software update on phone turned a bad camera worse. Why do people always fix unbroken things?

With all the varieties of this plant,it makes it difficult to know where to plant them. Going to take a year or so to figure out what likes what.
2012-07-11_22-12-18_168.jpg

IMG_20120711_224432.jpg

IMG_20120711_225303.jpg

2012-07-11_21-58-05_653.jpg

John, your plants have grouped together nicely.........like a "Flash Mob".......ha

Beautiful colors, I can see that area gets a good bit of shade. There's no summer bleaching of those vibrant colors. I'll have to snap a shot of mine this weekend.

Greg

That is prime real estate for these guys. The color is as close as I could get with this damn phone. One day after work I just dug it up and threw them in the ground. First time that ground was ever broken. My back was almost broken also.... About 15 bricks and chunks of barn stone in there. Never got around to edging or mulching it. The only problem I have run into is the plant in the middle of the back row. I have trimmed the front and tried to let the back go a bit. That plant in the middle "cracklin rose" is much like Neil Diamond... Colorful,and wimpy! Alittle more sun would probably not hurt them,but they don't seem to be doing bad. Would like to see your progress. Get some shots up.

Wow Greg...been waiting for an update. Is that your full sun bunch? Which direction are these facing? East with morning-afternoon sun? I have a new respect for this plant since you started this thread. It has been fun watching how the elements affect the pigmentation of the leaves. I tried to err on the shadier side for most of my stuff to be safe. Now that the days are getting shorter, I am noticing some plants that I thought were nice, looking even nicer. Next year I will experiment with containers and trailing varieties.

Wow Greg...been waiting for an update. Is that your full sun bunch? Which direction are these facing? East with morning-afternoon sun? I have a new respect for this plant since you started this thread. It has been fun watching how the elements affect the pigmentation of the leaves. I tried to err on the shadier side for most of my stuff to be safe. Now that the days are getting shorter, I am noticing some plants that I thought were nice, looking even nicer. Next year I will experiment with containers and trailing varieties.
The 1st 2 photos are plants in large pots on the West side of the house. Direct sun from between my house and neighbors (2 story) from about 11 to 2 o'clock. The sidewalk shot faces East, full morning sun (no obstructions) until the shade appears (around noon).

Beautiful! I want a bunch of Hostas in the shady area of my back yard.
Great idea....especially in the shade. If you get into the Hosta kick, determine the area where you'll be planting and check the Hosta varieties for size. Proportion is the keysome are minitures and then you have the 5/6 ft lillies. Thousands to chose from especially through the internet. Word of advice, search for the "Hosta of the Year".Each year new propagations occur and are in high demand. Which is good because after a year of establishment in the ground you can divide and sell...My sis spends up to 75 bucksa plant for the highend stuff but shes able 10x that in sales after a yr or two.As for me $16 bucks is my cut-off for one plant...........haha. But I can divide that plant after the 1st season into as many 10 or so healthy crowns......Hey if your just growing for yourself find something dramatic such as one of the blues or tri-varigated's
Good luck...with it

Greg

A couple factory shots. My intentions were to just let them fend for themselves,but I have been giving them a couple hours of artificial light along with some window light. Kicking myself for letting some of my favorites die off.

112612070257.jpg

112612070211.jpg

112612065524.jpg

112612065838.jpg

You all have beautiful coleus. I hardly have any shade. The only place is a few area's on my deck.
I resisted buying any last year, but I was tempted. I might buy some, or grow some seed for next
year. I really like them.

Glad to hear you are trying them out Rodney. I have been taking a ton of cutting off of these and getting co-workers and family into them. The hardest part I am having is finding out what conditions they like. As Greg has mentioned,even the full sun varieties seem to benefit from a good amount of shade. Mine loved when it got really hot up here,and they started to grow a lot. I would suggest having cuttings in water at all times just for security.

Back