Combine those beers!

ross said:
blue is over-priced. and its blended. granted its like 25 year old blends...i still dont like it better than single malt. ive had macallan 18 and 25, and i prefer the 18, but my favorite scotch is glenmorangie, or cragannmore. both will run you about 45 a botte, with the specialized glenmorangies running 55-60 a pop.

I dig the single-malts way more than any blends, but blue is still pretty good. And yeah, it's way f'ing over-priced!

Come Out Ye Black and Tans

was born on a Dublin street where the Royal drums do beat
And the loving English feet they tramped all over us,
And each and every night when me father'd come home tight
He'd invite the neighbors outside with this chorus:

Oh, come out you black and tans,
Come out and fight me like a man
Show your wives how you won medals down in Flanders
Tell them how the IRA made you run like hell away,
From the green and lovely lanes in Killashandra.

Come let me hear you tell
How you slammed the great Pernell,
When you fought them well and truly persecuted,
Where are the smears and jeers
That you bravely let us hear
When our heroes of sixteen were executed.

Come tell us how you slew
Those brave Arabs two by two
Like the Zulus they had spears and bows and arrows,
How you bravely slew each one
With your sixteen pounder gun
And you frightened them poor natives to their marrow.

The day is coming fast
And the time is here at last,
When each yeoman will be cast aside before us,
And if there be a need
Sure my kids wil sing, "Godspeed!"
With a verse or two of Steven Beehan's chorus.​

Listen Here.

Makes me miss my old Irish Co-Workers...:lol:

ross said:
but my favorite scotch is glenmorangie, or cragannmore. both will run you about 45 a botte, with the specialized glenmorangies running 55-60 a pop.

I recommend signing up for all your favorite booze e-mail or fan clubs. Makers Mark let me label a barrel. Glenmorangie gave me a taste of scotch that sells for $1500 a bottle. Dalmore fed me and got me drunk. Knob Creek fed me and got me drunk twice. Johnny Walker has taken me to tastings 4 times now. Van Gogh vodka sends me promo stuff in the mail. Most of the other cheapies send coupons.

darthcarl said:
I recommend signing up for all your favorite booze e-mail or fan clubs. Makers Mark let me label a barrel. Glenmorangie gave me a taste of scotch that sells for $1500 a bottle. Dalmore fed me and got me drunk. Knob Creek fed me and got me drunk twice. Johnny Walker has taken me to tastings 4 times now. Van Gogh vodka sends me promo stuff in the mail. Most of the other cheapies send coupons.

where do i sign up!?!? :lol:

darthcarl said:

So you're a Maker's Mark "ambassador" also? Cool. They let me sign a barrel, and invited me to come by and tour the facility at any time. They also sent me a set of monogramed golf balls(and i don't play golf) and a bunch of christmas cards and address labels.

hey ross (or anyone that knows aboug aging beer), i picked up a 4 pack of pranqster yesterday and the guy at the store mentioned it was a beer you could age and it would taste better. i drank one just to try it (not really my favorite style of beer) but i wanted to save the others. i was planning on drinking another in a few months, another in a year, and another sooner or later depending on the how the other two go. i don't know anyone around here with a cellar..being a few feet above sea level doesn't help..so i was gonna just leave it in my closet or the fridge. what are the ideal conditions for its storage? thanks.

edit...anyone know where i could buy some St. Ambroise oatmeal stout? someone i talk to on another forum has been telling me how good it is, but they don't sell it in florida according to my local good beer store. the beer is from quebec, but it is sold in the states too(just not this one i guess). if anyone has it available to them, maybe we could work out some kind of trade or something?

thanks! i just hope none of my roommates or any other people that come over grab them.. ha maybe i'll tape a sign to them that says do not drink. :)

xgrafcorex said:
hey ross (or anyone that knows aboug aging beer), i picked up a 4 pack of pranqster yesterday and the guy at the store mentioned it was a beer you could age and it would taste better. i drank one just to try it (not really my favorite style of beer) but i wanted to save the others. i was planning on drinking another in a few months, another in a year, and another sooner or later depending on the how the other two go. i don't know anyone around here with a cellar..being a few feet above sea level doesn't help..so i was gonna just leave it in my closet or the fridge. what are the ideal conditions for its storage? thanks.

edit...anyone know where i could buy some St. Ambroise oatmeal stout? someone i talk to on another forum has been telling me how good it is, but they don't sell it in florida according to my local good beer store. the beer is from quebec, but it is sold in the states too(just not this one i guess). if anyone has it available to them, maybe we could work out some kind of trade or something?

ok.. first part. pranqster. you could age it, i suppose, but it begs the question of why? its techically a belgian strong, but in all likelyhood it is really a belgian witbier, a very strong one (7%ish?), and these do not improve with age. if you want beer that will improve with age, go with stouts (big ones, imperial stouts), barley wines, lambics (not kriek), and belgian strongs / quads. there are other styles that should age - belgian tripels and dubbels, but why? aging is also slowed a good deal by keeping the beer in sub 40 degree temps (see - refridgerator) and is progressed faster by aging in 70+ (see - room temp). so if you are serious about aging beers, you should invest in a little cooler that will allow you to keep beers at 55 degrees. if its not that big of a deal to you, then keep it in the fridge or on a book case.

by the way, when people say: improves with age... that doesnt mean 1 month. improves with age means several years. i would see no reason to keep pranqster around for more than 2 days. since you bought that, you should have access to north coast old stock ale 2006 and old rasputin. the old stock ale should be good for 10 years, so if you really want to see what aging a beer will do, put that one in the back of your closet and forget about it and when you are cleaning your closet in 6 years, you will see it. feel free to ask any more questions regarding aging and i should be able to answer you.

second half: st ambroise is not sold in america. i dont know where you got that info from - i am pretty sure you cant buy it in the states. if you CAN buy it, you would find it in the very top of michigan and some obscure parts of new york. its very good stuff, pretty unique and well worth seeking out. the way to do it, would be to join up either ratebeer.com or beeradvocate.com and suggest a trade. you will have to ship across the border so there could be transaction problems, but if everything works out smooth you can get it pretty easily.

i just traded some beer and got some the other day. ill be trading to canada to my friend again in a few months, so if you would like a bottle, i can perhaps help your situation. :)

chuk hell said:
Leave 'em in the fridge if you have room.

beers will not age in the fridge per say.

the whole point in aging a beer is for the hop profile to die down some, thus making it more balanced and drinkable. if you put a beer - say a huge barley wine that is hoppy as hell - it will not improve much in a matter of 3 years. (improve meaning the hops will subside (bitterness) and the malts (sugars) will come to life more, thus balancing the beer out)

if you put that same beer in 70 degree temps (room temp) in 3 years it should be fantastic.

the best beer i can think of to undergo the aging process is simply sierra nevada bigfoot. sure, there are much better beers to age, but this is all over the USA, sold in six packs, cheap, AND it will improve with age. it is also a huge hop bomb of a beer. fresh off the palate this beer is raw, bitter, and offensive (i really like it), but once it has had 3 years in the bottle is becomes a tad sweeter, a little more round, smooth, just damn good.

point is. beer ages slower in colder temps. if you really wanna get that yeast working, put it in your closet!

Well, that's not gonna work down here where summertime temps top 100º for months at a time...the temperature in the house is often over 90. I guess I'm just SOL on the aging deal unless I invest in a wine cellar.

But,

I did try a 2003 Old Stock the other day that I've kept in the fridge for most of it's life and I do have to say that it mellowed nicely. It was wonderful...are you saying they won't age AT ALL in a fridge? I find that hard to believe.

Also, the fridge I use for beer is a secondary...kind of old and crappy and probably holds at about 40-42º...and most likley higher than that in the summer because it is usually in an unrefrigerated environment ( it's in my studio) and has to work harder...probably hovers around 46-48...or higher, in the summer. I wouldn't attempt to keep food in it. I notice the "regular" everyday drinking beers...( lagers, pilsners, etc. ) are never cold enough out of there in the warm months...I usually have to stick 'em in the freezer for awhile before drinking them.

That said, I may move some of the beers in the house for the winter months and when the heat coms back ( like March here (!) ) , move them back to the "beer vault".

Back