Combine those beers!

chuk hell said:
I did try a 2003 Old Stock the other day that I've kept in the fridge for most of it's life and I do have to say that it mellowed nicely. It was wonderful...are you saying they won't age AT ALL in a fridge? I find that hard to believe.

no. i said they age SLOWER in a fridge. not that they dont age period. your 48 degree cooler would be ideal for aging anything you have. as 50-55 is the perfect temperature to age and actually drink beer (not macros, pilsners, etc).

the only beers i drink cold are cheap ones, ipas, double ipas (kinda a nono), pilsners, hefewiezens, and american wheat beers.

drinking a stout at 35 degrees is like pissing in the wind - what is the point?

ross said:
ok.. first part. pranqster. you could age it, i suppose, but it begs the question of why? its techically a belgian strong, but in all likelyhood it is really a belgian witbier, a very strong one (7%ish?), and these do not improve with age. if you want beer that will improve with age, go with stouts (big ones, imperial stouts), barley wines, lambics (not kriek), and belgian strongs / quads. there are other styles that should age - belgian tripels and dubbels, but why? aging is also slowed a good deal by keeping the beer in sub 40 degree temps (see - refridgerator) and is progressed faster by aging in 70+ (see - room temp). so if you are serious about aging beers, you should invest in a little cooler that will allow you to keep beers at 55 degrees. if its not that big of a deal to you, then keep it in the fridge or on a book case.

by the way, when people say: improves with age... that doesnt mean 1 month. improves with age means several years. i would see no reason to keep pranqster around for more than 2 days. since you bought that, you should have access to north coast old stock ale 2006 and old rasputin. the old stock ale should be good for 10 years, so if you really want to see what aging a beer will do, put that one in the back of your closet and forget about it and when you are cleaning your closet in 6 years, you will see it. feel free to ask any more questions regarding aging and i should be able to answer you.

second half: st ambroise is not sold in america. i dont know where you got that info from - i am pretty sure you cant buy it in the states. if you CAN buy it, you would find it in the very top of michigan and some obscure parts of new york. its very good stuff, pretty unique and well worth seeking out. the way to do it, would be to join up either ratebeer.com or beeradvocate.com and suggest a trade. you will have to ship across the border so there could be transaction problems, but if everything works out smooth you can get it pretty easily.

i just traded some beer and got some the other day. ill be trading to canada to my friend again in a few months, so if you would like a bottle, i can perhaps help your situation. ;)

thanks. i chose that one because the guy at the store recommended it as one you could keep away for a while. its 7.6% ..i know they have the old rasputin, but not sure what other ncbc beers are available. the rasputin is really good, though i've never kept any for very long. ;) they have a handful of imperial stouts, i guess i'll try it with one of those.

well if you can get a bottle or two from your friend up north, i'd appreciate that a lot and would pay your or trade you for it...maybe there is some florida beer that doesn't get distributed out of the state or something.

xgrafcorex said:
thanks. i chose that one because the guy at the store recommended it as one you could keep away for a while. its 7.6% ..i know they have the old rasputin, but not sure what other ncbc beers are available. the rasputin is really good, though i've never kept any for very long. ;) they have a handful of imperial stouts, i guess i'll try it with one of those.

well if you can get a bottle or two from your friend up north, i'd appreciate that a lot and would pay your or trade you for it...maybe there is some florida beer that doesn't get distributed out of the state or something.

ok. yeah i dont do the canada trades too often due to the shipping costs, but when i do, i always request some st ambroise. so ill make sure i get a good bit next time. cheers

ross said:
ok. yeah i dont do the canada trades too often due to the shipping costs, but when i do, i always request some st ambroise. so ill make sure i get a good bit next time. cheers

thanks! if you can think of anything you'd want to trade for it, let me know. someone from nova scotia has been telling me how good that stuff is for a while now, and i just found out i couldn't buy it in florida. then i find out from you they don't even sell it in the states. was about to throw in the towel on that one all together.

xgrafcorex said:
thanks! if you can think of anything you'd want to trade for it, let me know. someone from nova scotia has been telling me how good that stuff is for a while now, and i just found out i couldn't buy it in florida. then i find out from you they don't even sell it in the states. was about to throw in the towel on that one all together.

you can check their website to see where its distributed, but its only 5 provices in canada ;) nothing in the us!!!

ill see what i can do! i drank one just the other night, it was great, as usual. ;)

ross said:
you should have access to north coast old stock ale 2006

took your advice today after i got out of work...just caught the 4 packs of old stock ale in the corner of my eye. going to drink one as a base, and i've stashed the others as far back into my closet as i can so i forget about them.

for tonight i bought some saint bridget's porter from great divide brewing co., and a bottle of rogue's monk madness ale. so far i've only opened up a bottle of the porter which is nice. i guess i tasted roasted hops? and a hint of cream or chocolate.

xgrafcorex said:
took your advice today after i got out of work...just caught the 4 packs of old stock ale in the corner of my eye. going to drink one as a base, and i've stashed the others as far back into my closet as i can so i forget about them.

for tonight i bought some saint bridget's porter from great divide brewing co., and a bottle of rogue's monk madness ale. so far i've only opened up a bottle of the porter which is nice. i guess i tasted roasted hops? and a hint of cream or chocolate.

i think you will enjoy the OSA (i hope).

anything from great divide is pretty good. im not crazy about their raspberry ale, but the rest are good.

the monk madness hasnt gotten very good reviews, and i have not even seen it - thus i havent drank it. let me know what you think of it.

make sure to stash some old stock ale, as hard as it may be, they improve alot. also, make sure you drink it from a wine glass or a snifter, whichever you may have.

ross said:
i think you will enjoy the OSA (i hope).

anything from great divide is pretty good. im not crazy about their raspberry ale, but the rest are good.

the monk madness hasnt gotten very good reviews, and i have not even seen it - thus i havent drank it. let me know what you think of it.

make sure to stash some old stock ale, as hard as it may be, they improve alot. also, make sure you drink it from a wine glass or a snifter, whichever you may have.

my first sips of the one osa i did drink to see how it was before it gets older were a bit strong for my taste..but i got used to it i guess and it was fine for the rest of the beer. can definitely see why people use the term "mellow out" in regards to the flavor.

the porter from great divide was damn good..i'll be trying out some of their other offerings available to me.

yea i can see why the reviews for the monk madness aren't great. it was good, don't get me wrong, but i would say it is one of my least favorite brews i've tasted from rogue. it might even be at the bottom...but it was still good haha. worth a try i would say. i think my first try was my last. dead guy is way better!

the osa is as far back in my closet as it can go. i plan on forgetting about it and finding it when i move out of this house finally. hah it is tempting as i close in on my last sierra nevada pale ale though.

man, i drank a good bit of beer this weekend. ill post my thoughts on some of them tomorrow. one highlight was standing in the parking lot passing a fifth of capt morgans private stock around with daniel (best friend) seth (daniels best man) and daniels dad at 145 in the morning after shooting pool all night. was quite entertaining. the first wedding i have actually been a groomsman in. now, at 1am i am back home, eating some cheese and chips with the legend. :mouthonfire:

That Cap'n Morgan's Private Stock is mighty tasty.

We had a party saturday. My friend David brought over a bunch of beers he bought in Belgium that you can't get in the states. One was called Troll...I think. (!)

We drank many a fine beer that night...I had a 2 day hangover!

chuk hell said:
We drank many a fine beer that night...I had a 2 day hangover!

ouch! sounds like fun though, before the hangover.

tonight i bought a 6 pack of rogue mocha porter. first time ever trying it, but i like it. not my favorite rogue beer though. also got a bottle of oak aged yeti imperial stout. i haven't opened that yet though. beer advocate says i could cellar it for a long time under the right conditions..but i was kinda planing to drink this one and maybe try aging one later.

well i normally don't combine any of my beers..but a friend that we haven't seen in a year or two came down and bought some guinness and hornsby's cider to make some "black velvets" honestly, i thought it sounded very strange at first..but it was surprisingly drinkable. you pour the cider first (slowly) then the guinness on top (also slowly). they mix a little i guess...but you can see a definite line between the two. wasn't so great that i'm already planning on trying it again or anything..but if i did, i would play around with a better stout and a different cider.

since we were mixing those and i bought a 12 of sierra nevada pale ale...i said what the hell and bought some sn stout to make some black and tans. they were pretty tasty! i'm sure there are better combinations out there..but this was the first time i've ever made my own. other than that i've only had the yuengling version which i would say isn't as good as using sn.

Best way i've found to "combine" alcohol is either make boilermakers or Irish car bombs. Do 2 or 3 quickly in a row then hold the f**k on.

Getting back to Jon's original question, I usually buy some really good beer (just bought a case of Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Imperial Stout love that stuff!) and have some other cheaper beer. Drink a couple of good ones then switch to the cheaper stuff after you already have your buzz.

I usually go for a case of Little Kings Cream Ale. Suck down a case of those little 7 ouncers for 10 bucks and off you go.

If I want to get drunk quicker off of a beer I just drink Molson XXX's. They taste good, cost just a little more, but have a 7.6% alchol content. Honestly I don't usually drink to get totally wasted anymore. I think I've done it waaaaaaay to much in the past. A little buzz is good for me. If I really want to get drunk, Jack and coke, shots of Jager, Jack on the rocks, or substitute your rum and coke with 151. That will do the trick alot quicker;)

JayT said:
Getting back to Jon's original question, I usually buy some really good beer (just bought a case of Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Imperial Stout love that stuff!) and have some other cheaper beer. Drink a couple of good ones then switch to the cheaper stuff after you already have your buzz.

I have done that before. After the first few they all start to taste the same anyways!! Why blow all of that extra money;):lol:

Back