• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Comida South America!

For a long time now South American food, esp Peruvian, has held a special place in my heart. Recently i was generously given a gift of a couple of Rocoto sauces from friends overseas. So I thought id start this thread in hopes to learn more about the cuisine and also try my hand a little more often to cook some of their dishes.

tonights dinner is a couple of my Peruvian favorites:

*Anticuchos - Traditionally beef heart is used.... i used blade steak marinated in 1/2C vinegar, 2T Aji Panca paste, garlic, scotch bonnett, oregano, cumin
*Ajiaco de Papas- 1/2 onion diced and sauteed in butter/oil, add 200g of diced halloumi (or queso fresco), add 3T Aji Amarillo paste, 1/2C stock, 1/2C evaporated milk. Stir and mash in 1kg of cooked potatoes.
*Others - Rice, Salsa Criolla (onion) and one of my favorite beers, Cusquena Negra.

2015-01-25%2012.30.30_zpsvhiq7cib.jpg

2015-01-25%2014.00.14_zpsgtgsntvp.jpg

For dinner I made a household favorite, Pollo al Ají Limo.

The ingredients you need are chicken thighs, Ají limo, green onions, garlic, olive oil, coconut milk, peanut butter, chicken stock, and white wine (I used a homemade dry mead this time instead of wine).

Sautee the chicken with olive oil until browned, then pour in a half cup of wine (mead), and throw in some chopped green onions, and 2 cloves of chopped garlic. As that reduces, add half of a cup of coconut milk, and half of a cup of chicken stock. While everything simmers add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and mix well. Add 1/2 of the aji limo diced to the mix to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.

For the quinoa salad, cook up 2 cups of quinoa, and prep 2 lemons, 3 oranges, a pomegranate, 3 garlic cloves, 2 small red onions, 2 aji amarillo, black beans, and kernel corn. De-kernel the pomegranate, cut the oranges into 16ths, dice the onions, dice the aji amarillo, and rinse the beans and corn. Mix all of this with the cooked quinoa. Drain the lemon juice into a blender, add the garlic, 2 tablespoons of EVOO, 1 tablespoons of vinegar, 1/4 of the chopped rserved Aji Limo from the chicken dish, and 1 tablespoon of mustard. Blend it, then mix with the rest of the ingredients from the quinoa salad to coat it.

For the sweet potato, poke the potatos all over with a fork, and put in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour.

Serve with the quinoa salad, and the sweet potatoes split with some of the pollo al aji limo sauce drizzled on top, and a piece of chicken topped with the remaining chopped aji limo.

Delicious!

Attachments

• 20160201_192755.jpg
    20160201_192755.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160201_201255.jpg
    20160201_201255.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 63
  • 20160201_214938.jpg
    20160201_214938.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 69
Interesting!

I have not heard of Pollo al Aji Limo before, sounds and looks very tasty and and uses a combination of ingredients quite different to what i am use to seeing in Peruvian cooking.

Salad sound lovely and fresh too... will have to give these a try sometime...

CH73 your milanesa sandwich looks great!

Cau Cau de Mondongo.

Wash your tripe very thoroughly with hot water, then boil for an hour with water and milk. Strain the tripe, rinse it, then cut into small pieces, and boil the tripe pieces gain with water for another hour.

While the tripe boils, dice up the onions, carrots, potatoes, and garlic. Sautee the onions, then throw in the diced garlic. Liquify the diced aji amarillo, with a bit of the tripe broth. Pour into a pot with the sauteed onions and garlic, and add the liquified aji amarillo. Add the potatoes, and one more cup of the mondongo broth. Once the potatoes begin getting soft, add the peas, and the diced carrots. Add 1 TBS of Palillo, and cook til the potatoes are soft. Strain and drain the tripe, then add it to the the rest in the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, then serve with rice, and fresh parsley.

Attachments

• 20160209_182027.jpg
    20160209_182027.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20160209_222252.jpg
    20160209_222252.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 67
Papa a la Huancaina.

De seed 7-10 aji amarillo, then dice them in half. Blend the aji amarillo, evaporated milk, queso fresco, amd a little bit of olive oil. Once completely liquified, begin adding saltine crackers, 5 at a time, blending between each cracker addition. Once the Huancaina sauce gets thicker, and to your liking, pour it in a large bowl, cover it and throw it in the fridge to cool.

Boil the potatoes, and hard boil some eggs. Once the eggs and potatoes are ready, slice them up, cover the potatoes on a plate with the Huancaina sauce, top that with some egg slices, and some olives.

This dish is a great appetizer to any meal, and ridicously easy to make.

Attachments

• 20160210_180422.jpg
    20160210_180422.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160210_204108.jpg
    20160210_204108.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 63
You know how to cook a hard boiled perfectly. No sulphur concentration/green ring, fluffy center. Start from cold water, bring to rapid boil, turn heat off, cover 10 min?

Seen many bad eggs, it's not hard to do but many don't do them right.

And nice dish!

The Hot Pepper said:
You know how to cook a hard boiled perfectly. No sulphur concentration/green ring, fluffy center. Start from cold water, bring to rapid boil, turn heat off, cover 10 min?

Seen many bad eggs, it's not hard to do but many don't do them right.

And nice dish!
Thanks! Yes, that's exactly how I boil my eggs.

Chanfainitas.

*Disclaimer* This dish typically contains an ingredient illegal to buy/sell in the U.S. food market, which is bofe (beef lung). Since the FDA has deemed this delicious cut of meat unsafe, I have to substitute it for regular beef. Even though this substitute is necessary in the States, the dish is still extremely good.

Take a good cut of beef and cube it into small pieces. Take 2 aji amarillo, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 heaping tablespoons of aji panca, and a little bit of olive oil, and blend them into a solid paste. Start a pot with 2 diced onions amd some olive oil simmering. Once the onions are cooked, add the paste you made, amd simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cubed beef, coat the beef in the delicious onion garlic paste, and sear til browned. Cube up your potatoes, throw them in the pot, add the hierba buena/peppermint (or fresh mint) then cover with chicken stock. Simmer everything until the potatoes are soft.

Salsa Criolla Peruana.

Dice up a rocoto, take out the seeds and core. Dice up some tomatoes, and slice 3 onions. Put all of this in a bowl, and juice 3 limes, 2 tablespoons of white truffle vinegar, one tablespoon of regular vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of EVOO. Mix this together well, and let sit for an hour in the fridge before serving.

Mote.

Cook your hominy with some of the broth from the chanfainitas.

Attachments

• 20160213_194106.jpg
    20160213_194106.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20160213_210302.jpg
    20160213_210302.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20160213_222802.jpg
    20160213_222802.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 61
Thegreenchilemonster said:
For dinner I made a household favorite, Pollo al Ají Limo.

The ingredients you need are chicken thighs, Ají limo, green onions, garlic, olive oil, coconut milk, peanut butter, chicken stock, and white wine (I used a homemade dry mead this time instead of wine).

Sautee the chicken with olive oil until browned, then pour in a half cup of wine (mead), and throw in some chopped green onions, and 2 cloves of chopped garlic. As that reduces, add half of a cup of coconut milk, and half of a cup of chicken stock. While everything simmers add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and mix well. Add 1/2 of the aji limo diced to the mix to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.

For the quinoa salad, cook up 2 cups of quinoa, and prep 2 lemons, 3 oranges, a pomegranate, 3 garlic cloves, 2 small red onions, 2 aji amarillo, black beans, and kernel corn. De-kernel the pomegranate, cut the oranges into 16ths, dice the onions, dice the aji amarillo, and rinse the beans and corn. Mix all of this with the cooked quinoa. Drain the lemon juice into a blender, add the garlic, 2 tablespoons of EVOO, 1 tablespoons of vinegar, 1/4 of the chopped rserved Aji Limo from the chicken dish, and 1 tablespoon of mustard. Blend it, then mix with the rest of the ingredients from the quinoa salad to coat it.

For the sweet potato, poke the potatos all over with a fork, and put in the oven at 400 degrees for an hour.

Serve with the quinoa salad, and the sweet potatoes split with some of the pollo al aji limo sauce drizzled on top, and a piece of chicken topped with the remaining chopped aji limo.

Delicious!

Cau Cau de Mondongo.

Wash your tripe very thoroughly with hot water, then boil for an hour with water and milk. Strain the tripe, rinse it, then cut into small pieces, and boil the tripe pieces gain with water for another hour.

While the tripe boils, dice up the onions, carrots, potatoes, and garlic. Sautee the onions, then throw in the diced garlic. Liquify the diced aji amarillo, with a bit of the tripe broth. Pour into a pot with the sauteed onions and garlic, and add the liquified aji amarillo. Add the potatoes, and one more cup of the mondongo broth. Once the potatoes begin getting soft, add the peas, and the diced carrots. Add 1 TBS of Palillo, and cook til the potatoes are soft. Strain and drain the tripe, then add it to the the rest in the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, then serve with rice, and fresh parsley.

Papa a la Huancaina.

De seed 7-10 aji amarillo, then dice them in half. Blend the aji amarillo, evaporated milk, queso fresco, amd a little bit of olive oil. Once completely liquified, begin adding saltine crackers, 5 at a time, blending between each cracker addition. Once the Huancaina sauce gets thicker, and to your liking, pour it in a large bowl, cover it and throw it in the fridge to cool.

Boil the potatoes, and hard boil some eggs. Once the eggs and potatoes are ready, slice them up, cover the potatoes on a plate with the Huancaina sauce, top that with some egg slices, and some olives.

This dish is a great appetizer to any meal, and ridicously easy to make.

Chanfainitas.

*Disclaimer* This dish typically contains an ingredient illegal to buy/sell in the U.S. food market, which is bofe (beef lung). Since the FDA has deemed this delicious cut of meat unsafe, I have to substitute it for regular beef. Even though this substitute is necessary in the States, the dish is still extremely good.

Take a good cut of beef and cube it into small pieces. Take 2 aji amarillo, 4 cloves of garlic, 2 heaping tablespoons of aji panca, and a little bit of olive oil, and blend them into a solid paste. Start a pot with 2 diced onions amd some olive oil simmering. Once the onions are cooked, add the paste you made, amd simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cubed beef, coat the beef in the delicious onion garlic paste, and sear til browned. Cube up your potatoes, throw them in the pot, add the hierba buena/peppermint (or fresh mint) then cover with chicken stock. Simmer everything until the potatoes are soft.

Salsa Criolla Peruana.

Dice up a rocoto, take out the seeds and core. Dice up some tomatoes, and slice 3 onions. Put all of this in a bowl, and juice 3 limes, 2 tablespoons of white truffle vinegar, one tablespoon of regular vinegar, and 1 tablespoon of EVOO. Mix this together well, and let sit for an hour in the fridge before serving.

Mote.

Cook your hominy with some of the broth from the chanfainitas.

Boom 

:drooling:
DRULE

also thanks for the Aji, and Rocoto seeds from the Miraflores  market  Peru
:dance:

:cheers:

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper 

Back