• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Compmodder26's 2014 Grow Log - Supers ripening

So my 2012-2013 season has offically come to a close.  All of my plants are now composting with the exception of one plant.  I picked the final 3 pods off of my 7 Pot Brown this weekend.  Potted the mother down to a 3 gallon pot and gave her a haircut.  She's in her new home for the winter.  Crossing my fingers as this is my first time to try overwintering a plant.

2013-11-11%2009.10.15.jpg

2013-11-11%2009.11.46.jpg

I will be back on in a bit to post my grow list for 2014.

There won't be much activity on this glog until mid-late January.  That's when I'll be starting my Chinenses.  

Stay tuned...

OKGrowin said:
lol your daughter is funny, surprised she knows and remembers the varieties heat etc.

Thanks!  She actually does know quite a few of them.  I think she was stuck on the Lava because she knew it is the hottest I've ever eaten and one of the few to ever make me throw up.

Everything's looking really good here!

Nice score on the RCW, Gary got me hooked on that and my intentions are to dedicate 30% of the garden to see how well it does.

Keep it green!

Great poddage Brian. Chocolate Hab does look like a cross. Awesome looking pod. Interested to see how it turns out. I'm with Scott on RCW. Nice score indeed. Last year my plants started turning yellow and I gave them nutes. Mistake. Over water was causing them to turn yellow. Flushed, dried them out and the turned green again. Got lucky. This year intense sun turned them yellow. I put them in the shade, and they greened up. I'm still learning. Now I know my plants schedule to growth pattern. Different variety different pattern. I'll quit rambling now. Only got 2 1/2 hrs sleep last night.

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck

Devv said:
Everything's looking really good here!

Nice score on the RCW, Gary got me hooked on that and my intentions are to dedicate 30% of the garden to see how well it does.

Keep it green!
Thanks Scott.  Gary was the one who introduced me to RCW as well.  So far, this year, it has worked wonderfully in my backyard raised beds.  I'm fighting a bit for Nitrogen in my Community Garden pepper bed right now, but that's the be expected as the bed is quite a bit younger than my backyard raised beds.  I'm telling you this to let you know that you'll probably experience a bit of Nitrogen robbing the first year, but after that, it should sort itself out.

OCD Chilehead said:
Great poddage Brian. Chocolate Hab does look like a cross. Awesome looking pod. Interested to see how it turns out. I'm with Scott on RCW. Nice score indeed. Last year my plants started turning yellow and I gave them nutes. Mistake. Over water was causing them to turn yellow. Flushed, dried them out and the turned green again. Got lucky. This year intense sun turned them yellow. I put them in the shade, and they greened up. I'm still learning. Now I know my plants schedule to growth pattern. Different variety different pattern. I'll quit rambling now. Only got 2 1/2 hrs sleep last night.

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck!  I'm pretty confident that it's a Nitrogen issue.  I experience the same problem last year and frequent small doses of a high N source were the key to perking them back up.  So far this year, that seems to be the case as well.  I was kind of expecting this, this year anyway.  Like I told Scott, using RCW the first year in any bed can cause issues with N robbing as the soil microbes tie up N for the decomposition.  I fully expect that next year, my bed will be fully at equilibrium and I won't experience these issues.  My backyard raised beds are giving me hope that will hold true.

Picked another small harvest today.

Top: Jimmy Nardelos
Bottom Left: Mariachi
Bottom Right: Jalapeno

2014-07-01%2012.55.30.jpg

Found my first ripe (almost fully ripe) pod on Mama Brown this morning.  It was very runty and came off the plant a little too easily.  That is usually a sign that something nefarious is going on inside the pod.  I cut it open, and this time was no exception.  It was moldy and there were little silk threads all over the place.  I didn't snoop around too much, but that's a tell-tale sign of some type of caterpillar.  It happened A LOT, my first year growing, and just a few times last year.  Hopefully this isn't going to trend towards my first year.

Whole pod:
2014-07-02%2009.00.20.jpg

Inside.  Sorry for blurry pic, my stupid phone doesn't do closeups well.
2014-07-02%2012.22.18.jpg

Last night, I pickled the Jalapenos and Mariachis that I picked yesterday afternoon.  I'm going to let them sit a few days then crack one open.

2014-07-02%2012.45.45.jpg

Sorry for the delay in updating this thing.  Work, vacation and life in general have kept me at bay.  The gardens are doing well though.  Mama brown is ripening a lot more pods as I type this, although none of them are near the size of the behemoths she put out last year.  Hopefully the next wave of pods will get that size  :confused: .  The community garden is going strong now.  Almost every plant has pods set on it and I've even managed to pick a few of my supers.  Here is the latest harvest from this afternoon:

Top (L to R):  Yellow Scotch Bonnet (cannot remember if MOA or just Jamaican Yellow), Jimmy Nardelo, Orchid/Bishops hat (lots of these guys ripening right now)
Bottom (L to R) : Yellow Bhut Jolokia, 7 Pot Brown, Banana.

2014-07-27%2012.57.12.jpg

Not much to report on.  Plants are continuing as they've been.  Getting quite a few more supers ripening now.

Latest harvest:

Top: White bhut jolokia, not yellow scotch bonnet (think this was supposed to be MOA), monster naga.
Middle: bishop's hat, brown moruga scorpion, 7 pot burgundy
Bottom: not chocolate habanero, mariachi, jalapeno.

20140810_153606.jpg

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Nice, you not chocolate habs look very similar to my Not Chocolate Long habs lol

Thanks Chris.  I'm not sure what these are crossed with, but the seeds came from a normal looking choco hab pod that I got from Judy last year.  So while the mother was definitely a choco hab, the offspring are most certainly crossed with something.  If I had to guess, I would say something naga/bhutish.  I tasted one and it had significantly more heat than a normal choco hab.  Flavor was closer to a chocolate hab with a slight bit more bitter finish.

Hey, Brian, looks like your season is picking up for you!
Nice harvests there - good variety and very colorful.  I've
been thinking about using some RCW in my big containers,
but am having a little difficulty trying to locate some hardwood
varieties.

Your community garden beds look great - I'll bet you will get
those peppers in tip top shape!

Back