craft beer

xgrafcorex said:
hi...yep a homebrewed lager according to the directions. we have an extra fridge with a thermometer. we're keeping it about 60-65 as per directions. yea glass is nice but i got this kit for free with the white plastic which is fine. though a glass container is on the list of future investments.

yep...we cleaned everything very well. its only been in the bucket for almost 2 days now. though the airlock is NOT bubbling so i think our yeast is no good. :cool: as for the hops...we just got what the guy at the store recommended...next time we'll be ordering all our ingredients online. the stuff at the local store looks like its been on the shelf since the 70s. we basically just followed this book guide to the t for this first batch. thanks for the advice.

northernbrewer.com or homebrew.com are the places to get ingredients. shipping is cheap too.

dont buy kits. they have you using LME which is not as good as DME. (liquid malt extract vs dried malt extract). 60-65 is high for a lager, but whatever. hope it turns out good. its good for a first batch (i bought a kit too) but my second batch is alot better. im fairly new at this too, but i have access to friends that are all grain brewers and they make some killer beer, and they always give me advice.

does the directions not have you crash the lager to 35 degrees or so?

does it ask for just primary fermination, or secondary as well?

you CLEANED the stuff, but did you SANITIZE it? there is a huge difference. did you use iodophor or bleach to sanitize? 2 days you should have active ferminatation. how much yeast did you pitch? 1 pack, 2 packs? was it liquid yeast, dried, what?

iodophor or bleach to sanitize? how much yeast did you pitch? 1 pac? was it liquid yeast, dried, what?[/QUOTE]

yea we are looking to order from homebrew.com or another site my friends friend told us about. the kit i was refering to was just the buckets, capper, caps, tubes, airlocks etc. the ingredients we bought individually at this beer store here. but all their stuff looks like its been sitting there for a while.

60-65 was just what was writen in one of the books we have. the other book we just got seems much more in depth and i'm not sure what that one says. if you want, i could send you a copy. (its in pdf format...about 330 pages)

the recipe we are using right now is a single fermentation one.

i'm not sure what the stuff we used to sanitize is called..but it came with the rest of the kit. as far as the yeast goes..we used 1 pack of dried yeast. next time around our ingredients are going to be quite different.

xgrafcorex said:
yea we are looking to order from homebrew.com or another site my friends friend told us about. the kit i was refering to was just the buckets, capper, caps, tubes, airlocks etc. the ingredients we bought individually at this beer store here. but all their stuff looks like its been sitting there for a while.

60-65 was just what was writen in one of the books we have. the other book we just got seems much more in depth and i'm not sure what that one says. if you want, i could send you a copy. (its in pdf format...about 330 pages)

the recipe we are using right now is a single fermentation one.

i'm not sure what the stuff we used to sanitize is called..but it came with the rest of the kit. as far as the yeast goes..we used 1 pack of dried yeast. next time around our ingredients are going to be quite different.

nah i got plenty of info on how to brew, thanks though!

that could be the problem. the last beer i made i used dry yeast, and i pitched 2 packs in, and i had ferminatation in a matter of 4-6 hours. maybe less.

is it ferminting (airlock bubbling) yet? if the airlock never bubbles, your beer will not have alcohol, and the yeast isnt working correctly, so when you prime the bottles it will not carbonate.

ross said:
nah i got plenty of info on how to brew, thanks though!

that could be the problem. the last beer i made i used dry yeast, and i pitched 2 packs in, and i had ferminatation in a matter of 4-6 hours. maybe less.

is it ferminting (airlock bubbling) yet? if the airlock never bubbles, your beer will not have alcohol, and the yeast isnt working correctly, so when you prime the bottles it will not carbonate.

yea...unfortunately i didn't see any bubbling when i stopped by the house for lunch. i'm thinking the yeast was no good.

as far as the original intent of this thread goes...i love trying different beers of all types...well maybe not lite or NA :( just had dead guy ale for the first time ever last night. had another one with lunch today....delicious!! i wish it were less expensive..but i'm already thinking up excuses to justify spending that much again and soon. :D

marcosauces said:
Ya...sometimes is just better buying beer than making it....more affordable..:D

And faster...i wouldn't have the darn patience to brew my own.

Now as for distilling....thats another story:D

imaguitargod said:
Yep, still have to make my Still over the winter this year...that reminds me...I think I still have to
pm some people about absinthe...

yeah...i forgot about that. One of these days i'll do the still thing again, but i can't now. My apartments too friggin small, and there's no way i'm setting on up at my shop

marcosauces said:
Ya...sometimes is just better buying beer than making it....more affordable..:shocked:

it depeneds on what you are making.

i spent 35 dollars on ingredients and i had about 40 some odd bottles, or less than 1 dollar per bottle.

as for making something like bud, no way, you cant beat the price, but its cheaper stuff too...

homebrewing is cheaper if you are going to make darker or speciality beers.

xgrafcorex said:
yea...unfortunately i didn't see any bubbling when i stopped by the house for lunch. i'm thinking the yeast was no good.

as far as the original intent of this thread goes...i love trying different beers of all types...well maybe not lite or NA ;) just had dead guy ale for the first time ever last night. had another one with lunch today....delicious!! i wish it were less expensive..but i'm already thinking up excuses to justify spending that much again and soon. :shocked:

the yeast was either no good or you did something wrong. id say you just start over, and buy glass jugs. ;)

less expensive? how much is deadguy down there? 3.99 a bomber?

i have alot of 750ml that were more than $10.00...

I think it was fried bananas with peanut butter? No I haven’t tried it. I think we should do it with a little some sauce huh? Although the king did die at 42 :shocked: Holy sh*t I’m there dude.

He’s in my garage dude! All velvety and all. So last night I sat down with my 12oz King(s) and spun some vinyl of the King. I must have had a good time, because my head hurts this morn.:P

And…I did not pee, just to spite ross :cool:

hey Ross, you ever try some scottish beer called "old engine oil"?
I saw it this weekend for the first time, but it was only for sale by the case(and i didn't have $89.99 on me), so i didn't try it.
I figured you'd be the guy to check with and see if it's worth the coin or not.

Sickmont said:
hey Ross, you ever try some scottish beer called "old engine oil"?
I saw it this weekend for the first time, but it was only for sale by the case(and i didn't have $89.99 on me), so i didn't try it.
I figured you'd be the guy to check with and see if it's worth the coin or not.

you should be able to find it somewhere in single bottles. you can buy it in singles around here. its about 2.99 or 3.49 a bottle.

yes i have had it, but only once. it is an old ale, so it has a different flavor than you may be used to. it has a very earthy and old (i cant think of any better description) flavor. its not very bitter at all. i didnt care for it that much, its certainly a nice one to try; you may like it. but i wouldnt go and buy a case of it because you might have 23 bottles left of something you dont enjoy that much.

Back